Have You Ever Contracted Memigitus Or Enephalitis

Have you ever contracted Memigitus or Enephalitis  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever contracted Memigitus or Enephalitis

• Yes I have and had it as a Child
    • Yes I have and had it as an Adult
    • No I have not Or don't know

• 1 month later...

I had viral menengitis when I was 3. It was tramatic at the time as I was hospitalized and everyone around me was wearing mask. I do remember the nurses were very nice and that i was in diapers the whole time. About a week later I went home, it left not decrenable scar that I know of.

Hey folks,

I posted the below links not because I felt they are authoritative but they are somewhat informative.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infection...meningitis.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/encephalitis/DS00226

That said, I have had a family member suffer a viral infection of the nervous system and had to deal with the aftermath. In short, [and please someone correct me if this is wrong] if you get a viral infection your body is on it's own. There is little modern medicine can do other than alleviate the symptoms. However if it is a bacterial infection there is much that can be done. How do you know the difference? Go to a medical professional!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly it's the only way don't try to self-medicate this.

dw

• 3 weeks later...

While modern medicine cannot directly kill of a viral infection, some have preventative measures that can be taken, that is why you get Flu shots. The treatment of the symptoms often aids the body in fighting off the virus. Bacterial infections can often be fought with drugs such as Penicillin and others, but even some of those are resistant to the drugs.

As I said I had Meningitis when I was 1 or so, and I was very lucky. At the time the disease had a somewhat high mortality rate, and a high rate of causing brain damage in survivors. The problem wasn't as much with treatment, it was with diagnosis. It often wasn't diagnosed for some time after the infection started. Even now "Appropriate antibiotic treatment of most common types of bacterial meningitis should reduce the risk of dying from meningitis to below 15%" from he CDC.