LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

My experience with stents

On 12/21/2018 at 9:04 PM, dlnoir said:

I do have to say I like your design and it all might work very well. You used a different approach to secure the O-rings to the tube it looks sturdy and robust. If it stays firmly put it should be okay. As for measurements there is no right or wrong. In previous entries a lot was said about the measurements. Although the male plumbing is all the same there are without any doubt variations in length in it all, I guess that is safe to say. From what I can see I would say the distance between the two O-rings is massive but if that is the distance you need, so be it, there is no right or wrong. The only one who can figure out what works or doesn’t is you. Personally I never had any issues with a collapsing silicon tube. The again that could very well be related to my prolonged use of catheters and stents so the muscular strength has diminished.

The stent I use nowadays is short maybe even very short but it does the job. Total length is 8,5cm or 2-3/8”.  I took the bottom O-ring out and made a silicon ball in at the end. The bulge is big enough to not allow the stent to slip in to the bladder, small enough to pass easily though the urethra. It is nice and round so no irritation due to an expanding O-ring. I used a fishing line like always to retrieve the stent. So far my aim has always been to make something that works without any hindering, that is basically why I kept experimenting and testing although others stents worked nicely. This is where I ended up. My most recent design, I’ll post a picture of it.

IMG_1330.JPG

...and I always thought the bottom end of the stent was supposed to be in the bladder, like the balloon of a catheter.

4 hours ago, Old_PA said:

..and I always thought the bottom end of the stent was supposed to be in the bladder, like the balloon of a catheter.

Well I suppose it is all a matter of interpretation.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 1:23 PM, dipper said:

Having a stent seems extremely intriguing, but I have no clue how to make one/have the time to make one. Is there no way you can buy a stent from someone if you give them the correct lengths and everything? Or would that break any rules? I'm not really good with crafting, i'm more of a theoretical person if that makes any sense. So creating a stent myself seems like a big obstacle.

One thing that makes me freak out about this idea is the possibility of the stent migrating into the bladder. It feels like most people who play around with stents are at risk to

my first try with stent it did migrating into the bladder . i was lucky i was able to recover by retriever string.. I'm on 4try and about 12hr and no problems and thats with being active .

• 4 weeks later...

So I owe you all an exciting update! I have finally succeeded in my stent engineering! I have been incontinent for 11 days now-- by far my longest 24/7 streak since I was a helpless infant!! On January 18th I made a new modified version of what I posted here on December 13th (using dlnoir's original concept) but instead used the a deflated 16fr silicone foley catheter.

I used a catheter for tubing this time for a few reasons:

1. Medical Grade Silicone: They come sterilized out of the package and are engineered to accomplish the exact task & drainage we need.
  2. The Diameter: 16fr catheters have an OD of 5.333 mm vs. the 6 mm I was using on food-grade silicone tubing, so this allows for easier insertion of the O-Rings (esp. past the meatus).
  3. Proper Specifications: The tip for insertion is perfect and ready to go, (no more need to roll-in the tubing). Of course they can be cut to any length. Also and very important from a prior concern, is it cannot be pinched via sphincters OR kinked from actions like sitting. This is because it has thicker silicone walls (smaller ID) than the food-grade silicone 6mm OD / 4mm ID (only 1mm thick).

I only had to purchase one thing and found some really SMOOTH rubber end caps that can be purchased in 3-8mm IDs:

end_caps.thumb.jpg.d34928696d85b7e7bc683c69547398c9.jpg

I downsized the caps a millimeter, using the 4mm ID caps to keep the fit as snug as possible. Just used the leather punch to get a clean hole on the end (actually semi-difficult due to the length of the cap). 

Here's the design that is currently installed and working like a champ (drip drip drip.. GUSH!)

20190118_211553.thumb.jpg.97a49069715d85754490a2faf18f0cac.jpg
20190118_212543.thumb.jpg.78f93e92c096a45b0995cbbbd87ac489.jpg

I really thought I would have gotten tired of it by now, but I don't even want to take it out!!!! I live in North Dakota so there has been very little need to leave the house with the crazy cold temperatures and blizzards lately. Though.... I did drink a ton of water and then hit up the grocery store and dripped on every footstep!! That was actually REALLY nerve-rackingly awesome! It wasn't until THAT MOMENT that it sunk in that I am REALLY depending on this diaper and if it lets me down, I WILL HUMILIATE MYSELF SO BADLY in front of all these people... and I really couldn't think of any back-up plan with no spare diapers with me, constantly checking for wet spots, etc..... In reality, when I got home I found the diaper (PeekABU) had like a whole day of capacity left... but I could have SWORN at the time with the amount of pee coming out I better "waddle through" the isles, pushing my cart... it was VERY... exhilarating!

It seems to stay in place perfectly. I tested every position and it wouldn't budge, so I tried some sit-ups which did cause it to slip in a couple inches-- was really easy to pull it back into place though. It locks there well and is easy to know when it's installed. A simple kegel exercise will lift the bladder floor by about 1cm-- you can see this in the retrieval string. Also amazing to see how much a diaper can swell if you just drip the whole time.

NOW, my dream to become a bedwetter from this stent did not come true. I cannot involuntarily pee while laying down. That is the biggest issue with the stent design and what has educated me on how important our detrusor muscle must be in the process of urinating. I can initiate a piss while laying on my back because the detrusor gets the signal from the brain to contract the bladder. It appears if you're not upright (standing or sitting in some positions), the bladder will not drain-- and that's what this design accomplishes, a gravitational drain. I bought a donut cushion for my computer desk so it still drains when sitting. But unless you sleep in a chair or inversion table, I don't think this is going to help in bedwetting.

This makes sense if you just look at the human anatomy-- sorry if this grosses anyone out (doubtful in this thread)... but here is a (REALLY helpful) human cadaver sawed in half with the bladder & sphincters highlighted in green:

__anatomy_custom.png.65af047a012e69e0ea9bf782478f9ac4.png

You probably notice right away what will happen if you lay on your back-- all of the urine will collect beneath where it exits the bladder. Waiting for the bladder to fill, for some unknown reason doesn't seem to work for me either. I have to initiate it so the detrusor contracts. Maybe I can try sleeping on my stomach, but my attempts of that have so far been uncomfortable. Wish there was an answer to this bedwetting epidemic!

Anyways, that's it for now. Will have to take this out on Saturday at the latest for the Super Bowl on Sunday.... hope the functions return to normal, can't imagine wearing a diaper around my closest friends I've known since middle school who now have babies of their own in diapers.

• Like 4

Hey guys, it's been a loooooong time since I posted, but I finally have an update.

So I took a break from diapers for a while, but earlier today, I just suddenly reaaaaallly wished I was wearing one. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that. And that reminded me that I still hadn't perfected a stent. I finally got around to getting it built, and I'm happy to report that it has solved the problems I was previously having!

So some of you may remember that I was planning on using a larger catheter as the base for my stent 2.0. I tried that with the 30fr you see on the bottom,  however, this one had some problems. You may notice that the bend angles are kinda shallow, and this caused the stent to migrate occasionally. Additionally, the size of the stent caused discomfort too. Normally 30 fr is fine as a catheter, for  me, but since a stent involves the catheter suddenly going from 30 fr to 0 fr (as in, the end of the stent), the larger the catheter, the larger this sudden transition in your urethra. 

For stent 3.0, I used a 26fr, which was able to fit the same larger 4mm plastic pipe that the 30fr fit, so no loss there. I also made sure that the bends had a sufficient angle, and the stiffness to hold the angles. This resulted in v3 being totally locked into place when I slipped it in. No matter how I move, or how hard I try to push it out,  it doesn't move  one bit. I think this shows how important both the angle and location of the bends are in this design of stent. To all those who are just starting out with their first stent, don't give up if it doesn't stay put, and just keep adjusting till it does.

I also found that stent 2.0 terminated at exactly the wrong spot, which in combination with the way I fold my diapers up,  caused a hot spot that was quite uncomfortable. I use cloth  diapers which are made up using baby flats. I found that the baby flats, unfolded, fit me perfectly, much better so than the adult flats, which did not fit no matter which way I folded them. So to give my diapers capacity, I fold some more baby flats up as the padding, and use an unfolded flat as the "shell". Since cloth needs to be really bulky to have good capacity (which is exactly why I like it), I like to make the pads only be half the length of the diaper "shell" placed about in the middle of the shell, such that there is zero bulk on my backside. This eliminates the "diaper butt", significantly reducing visibility under street clothes. I find that a bit of bulk near the front side is much less visible, especially when you wear baggy pants. Additionally, this places most of the bulk between my legs, which give me that wonderful waddly feeling. However, stent 2.0 terminated exactly where the edge of the pad starts, and the pad's edge pushes up against my urethra a bit, and this caused irritation in specific sitting positions. Stent 3.0 solved this problem by being 1 cm or so longer on the bottom, so that the 2 edges no longer overlap.

Having used the 4mm inner tubing, the flow issues from v1 are solved. I can happily report that this stent is resulting in an ideal (as boyhood put it best), drip-drip-drip-GUSH!

I also found that the retrieval line from v1 was causing a small amount of irritation. Additionally, the presence of the string sticking out sorta reminds you of the stent's existence, and breaks the illusion of real incontinence. So instead, for v2 and 3, I cut a small slot in the inner plastic tube nearest to the bottom. This way, a small hook can be inserted which latches on to this notch, and enables retrieval without a line. It also makes retrieval without the specific tool impossible, which is always a nice feature. Once I leave the house with this stent in, I'm well and truly incontinent, and I can't do anything about  it.

In the picture below, you can see v3 below, and v2 above. At the very top, you can see the small retrieval hook that I made out of a tig welding rod. Both the angle and size of the hook tip need to be pretty specific to work, so this is effectively a "key" to the stent and  my bladder control. 

You may also notice that I'm appropriately dressed for the task at hand ☺️

IMG_20190131_165454.thumb.jpg.9cc0912f9632f8dd74574d30a067b2d7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

to start in your place I would not venture to leave the stent without secure line. About me I have a Prince albert piercing, I attach the line to the ring and the thread is hidden in the ring in the urethra.
otherwise your stent also seems very interesting if it does not move, can you explain how you build it? what foley probe do you use from which diameter? the measures and how you assemble them? can you explain step by step and if possible with photo? you fold the end inside the pipe? thanking you and sorry for my english it's google translation that does the work.

In a way I want to try stents, but I'm not gonna risk it getting stuck or getting a UTI with foley 

I have tried foley catheter many years ago and it was not comfortable 

The advice given here from experienced users (and it's very good advice!) is to start with caths until you gain enough experience to be able to know what to do with using or designing a stent and now well what can go wrong with it. Do remember there is no one "perfect" design for everyone, just ones which work well for the one using it. Sizes, bends, and spacings will be different for each individual ;)

Bettypooh

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi fellow stenters.

Just like to share some small mods to the Cathdiap stent that I am trying out. Rather than using the internal curved tube I am trying some flexible compression springs. My theory is that these will flex, but spring back to position to lock to stent in. Hopefully this will reduce the hot spot I get behind my balls, from 20190423_101218.thumb.jpg.968a5070ff74d332a634505b879845ba.jpgthe stiff tube. 

It also makes insertion a breeze as the stent straightens out to conform to the urethra as you slide it in. None of the initial discomfort from scratches after insertion.

You may also notice a small length of sterling silver tube that I use to connect the retrieval cord. I dont know if this helps in infection control, but i dont think it hurts.

In now and flowing nicely. I'll wear it for a few hours and see how it goes.

Ps. The spring size is 3/16 x 1 3/8 x .016, which seems to suit the 6mm x 1.0mm OD silicon tube. (Sorry for the weird mashup of imperial and metric)

Hi
I have lost the line to bring the catheter stent back. ?
At the try to catch the catheter by myselv with a special nive for Urologie i have dammaged my ureta. ?
The think i have learned that when somting ging wrong, go to the Doktor and dont try it by yourselv.

Offpic. 
I ride much with my bike. With the stend in it was not possible to sit relaxed in the bike. So it is for me not longer the right play with catheter.

I will focus my beeing on fuck more jung Ladys. Thats more possible.

Greetings Form germany
Flo

• Like 1
7 hours ago, roo said:

Hi fellow stenters.

Just like to share some small mods to the Cathdiap stent that I am trying out. Rather than using the internal curved tube I am trying some flexible compression springs. My theory is that these will flex, but spring back to position to lock to stent in. Hopefully this will reduce the hot spot I get behind my balls, from 20190423_101218.thumb.jpg.968a5070ff74d332a634505b879845ba.jpgthe stiff tube. 

It also makes insertion a breeze as the stent straightens out to conform to the urethra as you slide it in. None of the initial discomfort from scratches after insertion.

You may also notice a small length of sterling silver tube that I use to connect the retrieval cord. I dont know if this helps in infection control, but i dont think it hurts.

In now and flowing nicely. I'll wear it for a few hours and see how it goes.

Ps. The spring size is 3/16 x 1 3/8 x .016, which seems to suit the 6mm x 1.0mm OD silicon tube. (Sorry for the weird mashup of imperial and metric)

Great ! can you tell us where to buy the used equipment?

You need compression springs. You can insert into the tubing and then just bend them. Twist them hard (almost 360 degrees) and they take a permanent set that will never creep back, like plastics will. Another advantage is that the thin wire doesn't reduce the tube bore, so better flow.

Getting there for me. I still got a painful spot. And I did have a slip outward.  Maybe next trial will incorporate a longer distal leg, and the o ring retention at the proximal end.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:15 PM, roo said:

You need compression springs. You can insert into the tubing and then just bend them. Twist them hard (almost 360 degrees) and they take a permanent set that will never creep back, like plastics will. Another advantage is that the thin wire doesn't reduce the tube bore, so better flow.

Getting there for me. I still got a painful spot. And I did have a slip outward.  Maybe next trial will incorporate a longer distal leg, and the o ring retention at the proximal end.

Just wanna let you know that your springs need to be made of 316 stainless specifically. Stainless steel only stains less, hence "stainless" and not "stain-never". Specifically, most kinds of stainless will rust over time if they're exposed to an electrolyte solution, i.e. urine. 316 is known to be biocompatible though, and is therefore used whenever implants and such are made. 

That being said, I like the general idea. The way I made my stent, the plastic tubes that make the bends were heat-bent, and are somewhat springy, but not like actual springs. I think making the bends with springs has the potential to not only make insertion easier, but also improve rentention. The springs would allow the stent to conform to your urethra's shape better. We should keep exploring this option

• Like 2

Good point on the biocompatability. I think the springs I found were electroplate steel. So probably Cr Ni coating. Developing a nickel allergic reaction in your urethra would be biblically awful.

The spring isn't in direct contact with skin, but is continually immersed in corrosive urine. Because of continual flushing, I don't image the Ni Ion concentration in your pee would be much, but you're right - best to avoid if you can find Stainless.

• Like 1

So I just recently finished gathering all the parts of my cloth diaper system, so I just put my stent back in now that I'm ready for some 24/7 diapering. I'm going to try to refine the stent so that I can wear it 24/7, ideally making it comfortable enough that I barely know it's there. 

I've found that with cathdiap's design, which I'm calling the "original", that the retrieval line causes significant urethra abrasion. Especially right where the front of the stent ends, I've found I always get sore there in short order. It has something to do with the way the urethra bends around the end of the stent, and thus the string tends to be pulled tight there. So the ideal design involves no retrieval line. This is of course risky, since there's no way to remove the stent if it migrates in. If we can make a stent that doesn't migrate though, this problem will be solved.

Over the past week or so, I've been wearing my stent with a retrieval line, which I can't do for very long without discomfort. I did this to make sure that even throughout my daily activities, the stent does not migrate at all. I went through several modifications of the stent to make this possible. I've found several keys to this:

1. don't skimp on the length of the back end (the part in the bladder). Make it at least 3cm long. This makes it so that the stent hits the wall of your bladder if it ever gets pushed inwards, and thus this will help prevent migration into the bladder. Don't make it too long though, or else it will always be hitting your bladder wall, which is rather uncomfortable. This might also make the stent not fit properly, if it can't make it far enough into your bladder (see next point).

2. The middle section's length (the section between the 2 bends) has to be just right. This way, the stent actually hugs the bend of your urethra and this makes it much more secure. Same applies for the angle of the bends themselves.

3.  Make the bends relatively stiff. Knowing what I do now, I have to caution against roo's approach of using springs, if you want to go line-free. It still works fine if you do have a retrieval line. If the bends of the stent can change shape, there's significantly less holding power. This particularly bad since your urethra is stretchy too. Both the stent and the urethra being stretchy make it so that the stent isn't being held in place by anything in particular. However, if the bends are stiff, the stent is like a key, which only fits well in a single point along your urethra. 

I think the front bend (the one that will rest outside of the second sphincter) is the most important. Make sure the bend is between 70-90 degrees, as this mirrors your urethra's bend. Also make sure you use a bit more stiff pipe than needed, such that the straight sections surrounding the bend are also stiff for about 1-1.5 cm. This way, the stent is really locked in at that location, and is unlikely to want to slip into your bladder. 

The combination of points 2 and 3 point to what I think is the most important principle in this kind of stent: the stent should, through trial and error, be shaped to exactly fit the 2 sphincter region of your urethra. The stent should hold this shape reasonably well, especially at the 2 points that it bends. This way, through the springiness of your urethra, the stent will only want to come to a rest at a single point in you. This way, it will not migrate.

So far, I've been wearing the stent all day without a hint of discomfort, while normally I would be starting to get a bit sore by now. The stent has not moved at all, and we'll see how it goes from here. I'll try to update tomorrow to see how sleeping goes. Hopefully I've got the perfect dimensions this time, and this stent is 24/7 viable

• Like 4
On 5/6/2019 at 7:26 PM, qwerty said:

The combination of points 2 and 3 point to what I think is the most important principle in this kind of stent: the stent should, through trial and error, be shaped to exactly fit the 2 sphincter region of your urethra. The stent should hold this shape reasonably well, especially at the 2 points that it bends. This way, through the springiness of your urethra, the stent will only want to come to a rest at a single point in you. This way, it will not migrate.

I'd wager that many of us would agree. Earlier on in one of these stent threads, a few people were trying to brainstorm some (relatively) safe way to create a urethra mold so that any one of us could solve this puzzle for ourselves without the often significant costs of trial and error.

That being said, I really like how you approach the project. Clear and structured thinking comes across in your clear and structured writing. Thank you for a very thoughtful design update and analysis.

• Like 2

3 day Update:

So the stent's been in this whole time. The most it's moved this whole time is less than 1 cm outwards, from me bearing down on my bladder particularly hard. Because of this I'm now pretty confident this stent won't get lost in my bladder. 

There was some initial discomfort, but it's been going down over time, which further reinforces the idea that the retrieval line is the source. This is somewhat unfortunate, since it's always better to have a retrieval line and not need it. However, now it's pretty certain that a retrieval line makes this stent design un-useable for more  than a few hours, at least for me.

That being said, there is good news. First of all, the stent is really comfortable. Whereas before, certain positions and movements would cause sudden surges of discomfort, now, there's none of that. This stent is pretty much at the level of me not noticing it's there, unless I'm looking for it. I haven't taken it out once since I put it in, and I have no desire to do so for the foreseeable future. Let's see how long it ends up staying. 

The other news is that now that I've had a chance to wear it for longer, I've found its effects to be simply amazing. I can confidently say that I'm well and truly incontinent with this thing in. And since I barely notice the stent, and there's no visible retrieval line, this is as close as one can get on a temporary, reasonably safe basis. 

• I'm constantly dribbling. Everything I do has to be planned around this. The dripping doesn't stop or slow down just because I'm walking to the shower, or in the process of changing. If If I realize my diaper is leaking and I haven't prepared a new one yet, I'll have to lay down a tower beneath my feet while I fold the diaper. When I walk out of the shower, I have to use a tower to catch the dripping. Another advantage of this is that I can nearly constantly feel this, which is something a catheter can't replicate.
  • However, this dripping only happens once my bladder is slightly inflated, maybe 20 ml. This amount changes based on my position though, so depending on when it is exactly, there may be some urine in my bladder. Urine especially pools while sitting or lying down. Because of this, I also experience significant stress incontinence. Walking definitely empties my bladder over 10 or so steps, and I can feel a small gush every step of the way. Certain movements, coughing, ect. also cause a small gush. 
  • The best part though, is that after a few days, my body has gotten used to operating with the stent in. My body seems to have accepted the stent into the urinary system, and is working with it instead of against. Remember that 20 or so ml of urine that normally has to fill my bladder before I drip? Well if my bladder fills more than that the micturition reflex actually kicks in, and my bladder starts squeezing! This sometimes happens when I stand, depending on how much dripping my position has allowed. But It happens very often when I'm sitting or lying down. I urinate between 30-100 ml, depending on how full my bladder was allowed to get. My body has gotten used to this function to the extent that my bladder starts squeezing without me having to put conscious thought into it. Normally this would just cause the outer sphincter to clench, and me to feel a stronger urge. But now that the stent is disabling the outer sphincter, there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop the stream. Plus, anything that causes a psychological urge, like being near running water, also causes this to happen. 

The reason this is great is because in my past stent experiences, I found that positions which block the dripping flow tend to make the bladder fill up quite a bit. It would build up to a noticeable urge, and it was hard to get urination started because my body was unused to the feeling of the stent. As a result, it was easier to just push down with my abdomen to squeeze the bladder, which really defeats the point of using a stent to make urination involuntary. Lying down was even worse in this regard, and this made sleeping stented not live up to the blissful ideal I had of it.

But now my bladder has taken up the task of emptying itself through the stent whenever it feels the slightest bit full. This is ideal for sleeping stented, because I don't have to think about it at all, and there's no distracting urge to pee keeping me up, which is something that's bothered me all my life. Furthermore, there's just something about a true urination stream, not just dripping or a small gush, which you have zero control over. And lastly, this is the most true, baby-like form of incontinence. Your body urinates in small, but significant chunks. It goes when it wants, and you have no say in the matter. You are blissfully unaware, until the very moment you feel the slightest urge, and you feel the urine begin flowing, and the wetness spreading. 

As I said, we'll see how long I end up keeping it in this time. Only time will tell if this stent design has been perfected to my body, but based on the past 3 days, I'm hopeful. I think this stent just might be an indefinite on/off switch for my continence. Best of luck to those of you still working on your prototypes.

• Like 5

I did not understand what you recommend in the end on the finish of the tube of the lower part which is in the urethra.  Because I have the same pain as you but I do not think it comes from the line but the end of the stent that rubs in my urethra at the base of Penis.

sebt,

I usually fold the end of the catheter over into itself,  creating a very smooth ending. I recommend you do the same, and see if that fixes your problem. There's just no way to get a smooth enough surface from a cut end. In fact, I'm seeing that most people who build their stents go for this method of ending the stent. See roo's picture above for what I mean about the ends being folded inwards

Hi qwerty,

thank you for the writeup, it does sound very promising :)

How do you handle the retrieval without a line? Do you use a crotchet hook? Did you prepare a small hole or do you hook the folded end?

Greetings

I use a small aluminium hook I made out of a tig rod.  I just hook into the folded end, since that conveniently already has the right geometry

• Like 1

Another update:

So I did a bit of an experiment this morning. I put one finger at the base of my internal sphincter for safety, and tried to see if the stent could be pushed into the bladder. I wanted to see if my stent was 100% safe or not. I found that with some force, the stent would indeed start making its way into the bladder. So now I know that a retrieval line-less stent is not entirely safe. Out came the stent. In light of this new information, I strongly advise against line-less stents unless you really know what you're doing.

The specific scenario I'm worried about is as follows: I'm sleeping, but then wake up. During my sleep, the end of the stent has worked its way slightly behind the end of the outer sphincter, such that when I wake up and reflexively clench, the force of the sphincter clenching will now push the stent up into the bladder. Normally this doesn't happen since the stent is made specifically to stick out past the end of the outer sphincter, but there's no real way to prevent it from moving at all. Shifting throughout the night may give the stent the slight push it needs to be in just the wrong position.

So I started thinking about the retrieval line problem again. I thought maybe if I made the retrieval line stick out from the inside of the stent instead of the outside, the irritation would be made much smaller. (see picture). 

However, I remember that there was irritation along the entire line, everywhere it touched the urethra. Oh well, one problem at a time.

While I was attaching the line to the stent however, I realized what the source of the retrieval line irritation was: I was using floss as the retrieval line. Floss is coated in minty stuff. And yes, I do feel like a right idiot.

The safe-ifficated stent has been in for several hours. I'm feeling nearly no discomfort. Let's hope it lasts

IMG_20190515_102129.jpg

• Like 1