LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Spasm with catheter inserted

Seldom and from time to time I play with a catheter. The three last times I have inserted a catheter it ends up with painful bladder spasm or cramp after few hours, and I wonder why.

Thanks, Baby Brian for your answer, it sounds plausible. I am also have an unpredicable unregular urge, but it is far different from the painful spasms.

Thanks for you long and scary story, I have read some of it here earlier.

My problem is/was in fact 25 years old, at that time called "overactive bladder", which I manage to control after training my lower muscles. It was fine for about 20 years.

"If possible or yes, then I hope this scares you enough to get a full spinal workup, mri, and neurological response test." Yes, it was done 6 and 4 years ago.

Had a minor stroke 7 years ago, and later MRI shows some changes that suspects demyelinating disease but nothing found in spinal. I don't have any MS diagnose (yet?).
Some slight back pain, but I do not think there is any to suspect there.

If there is a connection between my slightly enlarged prostate, spasm and the urge - I do hope a surgery might be a solution.

I take it your surgery will be for your prostrate? That one is known for allowing other incontinence issues to show up. If anything you will likely end up with no urinary change, or you will be leaking a lot more and may end up enough to where your bladder won't fill up as much.

And you'll notice my signature line. I very much love that I am now (mostly) incontinent. I just really hate how I had to get here.

I used to have similar issues with catheters.

Since my desire to uncontrollably wet my diaper was stronger than dealing with the bladder spasms I kept continuing, over time the spasms faded but never really disappeared.

So I had to look for alternatives and personally found it in a stent.

4 hours ago, dlnoir said:

There is no inflated balloon in your bladder rubbing the soft tissue surrounding the sphincter muscles which causes the spasms if you

I see something of me in this. I've always had urges and spasms and it took me 20 years of life to be able to hold back the flood :( And for about 20 more I did that. Then my control weakened and there would be some leakage before I could stop it which increased over time. First was pads, then when they weren't enough so I went to diapers. Not enough 'material to work with' for a sheath unless it was glued or stitched on, and the post-surgery cathing mentioned below was as painful a thing as I've ever experienced, easily equal to my gout, so I didn't go there either :whistling:

During this time I had a surgery where they had to 'restart' my bladder which was no longer releasing. That started with cathing till my body began to work more normally. At that point my bladder spasmed like crazy and I was off to the toilet every few minutes, the usual result a spurt or dribble. It took about 2 weeks to get back to my life-long normal of urges and occasional spasms which I could retain and a couple more months before I had my normal bladder capacity again.

As long as your medical team is monitoring for problems (prostate, cancers, etc) then the choice is yours on how you deal with this. I've simply accepted my diapers and went on with life like this because I know there is not cure for me- my issues are inherent to me and nobody has been able to figure out the cause. I don't want to be a guinea-pig for every possible drug or treatment; I just want a happy life and I have that.

Thanks, Bettypooh :)

30 minutes ago, Bettypooh said:

During this time I had a surgery where they had to 'restart' my bladder which was no longer releasing. That started with cathing till my body began to work more normally.

Was your catheter open or closed at that time?

My doctor has advised me to not run to the toilet before i feel the urge starts. This will train my lower sphincter muscles, and keep my bladder capacity.

It was an intermittent cathing; I was left alone in between so that my bladder would fill. If it didn't release they cathed me again to prevent kidney problems. Just after surgery I wasn't producing much urine. It was a couple days before that began to happen. But it wouldn't release on it's own, hence the cath. The spasms came after I began releasing somewhat and they stopped cathing me. The spasms increased with frequency and intensity until I began to flow more freely then faded as I reached normalcy which for me is to release when my bladder is half-full. Past that point I have no control and never have.

Something is wrong with my neural 'wiring'; psychologically and physically I am fine- they cannot find anything wrong with me. It's just that I've always been this way and it's how my crazy bladder works, or should I say doesn't work well at all. I've experienced every combination of problems my entire life: full bladder won't release, empty bladder spasms as nothing comes out, feel like I have control only to wet myself, feel like I don't need to pee but can release a bladder-full, unexpected dribbles, spurts, and fire-hose flows, and even normal retention and release. No rhyme or reason or cause or cure for me.

So rather than wet clothes I diaper, and that has allowed me to stop bothering to stay dry which wasn't working well anymore anyway. I just let my body do what it wants to now- in diapers it can't hurt me anymore B)

Bettypooh

Thanks, Bettypooh :)

I see, not a permanent catheter. My thought was that the catheter was used to "close" the system and made your spasms.

Seems that diapers are the best option for many.

Thanks again, Baby Brian :)

I visited my deputy-doctor this time and asked if there could be any "link" between a slightly enlarged prostate and urge/spasm. I did certainly not mentioned the catheter.

I was told that my prostate was not big enough to cause this reaction, and again he suggested some drugs.

Edited by cbee
Sorry wrong name

With any med, it is an extremely good idea to write the name down and then later google it. Pay attention to what they are intended to do, and what side effects or complications they may have. While any medication may work for one person, it will react horribly for another person with the exact same problem. Ultimately you may just have to try one or two of them and see if it works for you or not.