LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Adult-Diaper "Prepper" and/or "Bugout" concerns?

3 minutes ago, Elfking said:

I think this sort of thing is a very American thing. Or at least I have never encountered anyone who does anything like this over here, there are probably a few but not many at all.

I can understand why some people do "prep" and who knows when the survival skills you learn in "preparation" will be useful in everyday life (getting stranded somewhere or something) but I think they have been predicting the fall of civilization since civilization existed.

In other words, I'm not prepared at all and should society end then I will probably be one of the first to end with it :lol: I'm OK with that though, in a situation where the World was ending for whatever reason I probably wouldn't want to carry on anyway.

May I offer this: during my formative years (was born in 1950) I was blessed to have access to a senior relative's collection of

I'm just more inclined to be prepared for a short services disruption. Living in Florida we have had hurricanes that can knock out our power and food distribution for weeks. New Orleans and New Jersey had it for months not long ago too (and for the same reason).

If you're

As we can only prepare within our respective means (without elevating Preparedness above where it belongs in our priorities), that may mean having a serviceable bicycle. In the U.S.A. we have this infernal

I guess that is why I don't see it happening in this country. We rarely ever have any extreme weather that knocks power out, in fact I don't think it has ever happened in my lifetime... Certainly not in a way I was affected by.

There was a hurricane in 1987 but by international standards it was practically nothing. We get some flooding in areas too but I don't live near an area threatened by that (which is funny since I am so close to the coast). even the flooding wasn't THAT bad, ruined some homes but there wasn't anyone stranded for weeks and weeks as far as I know.

Could a terrorist attack do it? It is more likely, but I don't live in a major city and even an attack would be unlikely to sever all lines of communication. I just can't see a valid scenario that would require me to make lots of extra preparations for. But for you guys in places where a natural disaster isn't as unlikely I can understand it, having not experienced extreme weather like that then I clearly can't comment on people who have experienced it, or might experience it.

If I ever move to a place where natural disasters are more of a problem (The fiancee has mentioned wanting to live in Japan...) maybe I will review my opinion on preparation!

21 minutes ago, Baby Brian said:

I'm just more inclined to be prepared for a short services disruption. Living in Florida we have had hurricanes that can knock out our power and food distribution for weeks. New Orleans and New Jersey had it for months not long ago too (and for the same reason).

If you're

On 12/16/2015 at 5:42 PM, Baby Brian said:

Don't ever "dig in" if you live in the suburbs and the SHTF globally or even nationally. Within a week most idiots that remain in the city will try to cook what food they have on hand by starting fires. Most idiots will burn their house down without a fire department. Without a fire department that fire will spread to their neighbors house, and eventually to yours. (unless most everything has been leveled or drowned). If you're spread out or in the country, then yes. Digging in would probably be the best option for most.

Much "Cold-War" advice came from a context in which Courtesy, Decency & Sense were still common, even when people were under stress.

I recall reading something online (2 or 3 years ago) about custom-made "Stainless" bicycle frames. It was mentioned as another way to establish status among adult(?) cyclists playing various "My-Bike's-Better-Than-Your-Bike" games as serious Bicycle-jock/commuters.

It is as much a study of human nature as anything else. In TEOTWAWKI or even some lesser SHTF events, human nature will become the most important factor involved. The biggest difference then will be a contingent of people who were not prepared and who will change their approach from asking to taking without asking. In the longer term such people will band together with like-minded people and you can end up being their target. It will be much like war then, and that is how you must understand it then. Study war and you'll find that there is no place which is totally defensible, there is no place totally hidden, and that any plan to hold position can and usually does fail in the end. So my approach it to stay with society as long as I can be OK here then to strep away when

In a "Worst case scenario" I'd have to go medieval on people to get by. As a minimum wage worker, I have practically nothing saved up. I live month to month. So when the worst happened it'd be me-vs whatever. As far as survival skills go, i'd be fine if I could make it out of the city after acquiring a few thing from say a martial arts supply store or sporting goods store (or both). Been an outdoorsman since I was a kid, though I haven't gone camping in years, I have been hunting, so I'd be fine out in the wilderness. As for diapers, I'd likely go with cloth and choose a site near a river or stream that would be plausibly defensible.

• 1 month later...

" Wait, you call yourself a survivalist, yet you haven't even considered carrying a shovel yet? Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttttt....... "

I have an assortment; some of those I've owned for decades, actually.

I have my stored water in soft plastic collapsible containers meant for camping stuffed in 5 gallon paint buckets. No possible spillage and never had a problem with freezing enough to do damage either, plus the buckets are easy to carry and useful for other purposes. With lids they are stackable 5 high without risk of failure. About $5 per unit, the buckets are free from painters if you want to clean them out yourself. Best on-the-cheap I've ever found and if stored away from sunlight good for 5 years +.

For TEOTWAWKI, no I'm not going to bother with prepping since any good plan will be out the window the second the SHTF. For a small service disruption, I'm prepared regularly, and well in advance of the idiots who make the last-minute mad rush to the stores. There was a blizzard here a couple of weeks ago. My family's shopping was done well in advance, I bought a new shovel over the summer to go with the four or five other shovels that I have, (one is falling apart, but I use it in places where a damaged shovel is a bit of a virtue,) but I did that when it was air conditioning weather, not the day before snowfall, and the snow thrower was tested a week before the storm and gassed up at that time as well. I rarely lose power, (didn't even lose it for more than 30 minutes during Sandy,) but if I do, I've got batteries and battery powered radios for any emergency announcements, and I wouldn't even need those until several other devices drained their battery power, which would give the utility company plenty of time to re-establish power. If any situation were dire enough for me to require a temporary bug-out bag, it would not take long to throw one together and get out until sanity was restored, but in the unlikely event that a riot were to break out nearby, it wouldn't spread to this area until well after I'd had a chance to pack not just a bug-out bag, but the kitchen sink as well.

If being prepared for temporary service disruptions makes me a "prepper," than I echo Baby Brian's comments above. However, there's no way I'm prepping for TEOTWAWKI, largely for the reasons Bettypooh has pointed out. (It's better to stick with the people maintaining civilization for as long as possible in such a scenario.) Granted, part of me wouldn't mind having a fallout shelter, not because I think TEOTWAWKI is coming, but because I'd just like a bunker to get away from the more crazy people in my life from time to time.

Won't it be wonderful when 99% of the humans are gone, just leaving a few in Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Amazon and Mongolia.

THEN, all the world's plants and animals can live as nature intended.

I'm not going to dismiss the concept of prepping but I don't like the romantic image of the 'road warrior'.

It might be because I'm a girl. Debatably An environment without security is more dangerous for us.

My main issue however that we currently live with a precedent for disaster survivalists, migrants and refugees. These people are not the exhulted paragons of fiction. They are dehumanised.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2016 at 10:19 AM, Bettypooh said:

I have my stored water in soft plastic collapsible containers meant for camping stuffed in 5 gallon paint buckets. No possible spillage and never had a problem with freezing enough to do damage either, plus the buckets are easy to carry and useful for other purposes. With lids they are stackable 5 high without risk of failure. About $5 per unit, the buckets are free from painters if you want to clean them out yourself. Best on-the-cheap I've ever found and if stored away from sunlight good for 5 years +.

For 5 gallon buckets get used latex paint buckets; store-bought buckets are weaker and seem to be a different plastic, while these are made to take rough handling without failure. Moreso the lids- these are much better than anything you can buy at retail. Almost always free for the asking from painters and latex paint is easy to clean plus doesn't get into the plastic like primers and oil-based paints might. A lid wrench is advisable for those who don't have great finger strength. Sheetrock mud buckets are also not as strong, gotta be actual paint buckets. Mine are 15+ years old and stored in a closet so there's no UV degradation, only atmospheric ozone to worry about, and they seem to handle that well. They're good for at least a few years stored outside in sunlight. Positively the best large bucket there is at any price, and free is a darn good price!

I do a water scrub, a soap-and-water scrub, a cold water and bleach scrub, then multiple hot water rinses with scrubbing to clean the bleach which if left may degrade the plastic (I don't know that it will but why chance it?). Since these are not the primary container that's clean enough and safe to drink from as far as I know should the primary container fail. I doubt you'll have much luck with the 'boughten' buckets but it will be interesting to hear your results.

Bettypooh

• 4 months later...