LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic pants over disposable diapers, necessary?

Is it necessary to wear plastic pants over disposable diapers if you are incontinent?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is it necessary to wear plastic pants over disposable diapers if you are incontinent?

• Yes, always
    • Sometimes
    • No

During the day, i always wear a Gary Activewear diaper cover over my disposable diaper to insure I don't have a noticeable leak showing on my jeans. At night, i wear a babykins terry lined diaper cover over my diaper just to catch and soak up any nighttime leaks. In short, I always wear some sort of diaper cover.

I wear plastic pants over my disposables most of the time... I've had disposable diapers split in the rear, after bending over. I didn't know it until I found I was leaving a trail of diaper fluff, falling out of my pant leg!!! Since then,  I almost ALWAYS wear plastic pants over my disposables.. I've also had diaper tapes fail, and the plastic pants helped hold the diaper in place, instead of falling down my pant leg.

I probably shouldn't reply to this thread as I am not incon. However, I do wear disposables out of the house. The last thing I want is a little leak to turn into a wet spot on the outside of my pants. I would guess no one who wears diapers outside of their home would want their diaper to leak a small amount and have it show to the rest of the world. There are those who wouldn't care if they were seen with an obvious leak but the vast majority, in my lowly opinion, would not. Plastic pants are a way to avoid an embarrassing leak.  

• Like 1
On 5/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, Diapered Dave said:

I wear plastic pants over my disposables most of the time... I've had disposable diapers split in the rear, after bending over. I didn't know it until I found I was leaving a trail of diaper fluff, falling out of my pant leg!!! Since then,  I almost ALWAYS wear plastic pants over my disposables.. I've also had diaper tapes fail, and the plastic pants helped hold the diaper in place, instead of falling down my pant leg.

I usually wear plastic pants as well as a tena maxi slip

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, for a couple of reasons. First, for insurance.  Never know how wet my diaper will be by the time I get home from work, and I have had several times when I was soaked and my plastic pants prevented wetting my pants. Secondly, plastic pants help hold and keep the diaper tapes in place. And third, plastic pants help mask the crinkle noise of plastic backed disposable diapers.

• Like 1

Plastic pants over a disposable diaper has little use other than to convince the wearer that they are wearing extra protection. It is a psychological thing from early childhood where a parent placed the child in plastic pants more for style rather than protection.

Plastic pants over adult diapers today now offer some protection as the SAP and compression packing creates micro holes in a thin plastic backing of the disposable. This is still little protection as what happens is that wetness gets caught between the two plastic layers. As a result, the glue of the tapes tend to fail since same are exposed to wetness. Also, since water cannot be compressed, it finds a way out - leg holes / waist. This is increased overnight as urine escapes via the back waist / front waist band (depends on which way you lay as you sleep).

The best way to increase the protection of plastic pants is to add a layer of absorbancy between the diaper and the pants - ie cotton underwear etc. A thin training pant would also work. Otherwise, daytime one will have the standard half moon wet patches. This tends to increase the risk of rash as the leg marks of the elastic of plastic pants tend to keep that specific area damp.

Plastic pants are only for style / covering cloth diapers / covering a layer of cloth. Otherwise, they will leak.

It’s a dilemma.  I like the convenience and odor control of disposables while preferring the nighttime functionality and comfort (point up) of cloth and plastic pants.  Sometimes think a porous flat disposable (never seen one) in conjunction with a waterproof pant would be the best of both worlds.  Seeing as flat disposables are not available, I wonder if a disposable bed pad could serve as a diaper within a plastic pant?

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, babykeiff said:

Plastic pants over a disposable diaper has little use other than to convince the wearer that they are wearing extra protection. It is a psychological thing from early childhood where a parent placed the child in plastic pants more for style rather than protection.

Plastic pants over adult diapers today now offer some protection as the SAP and compression packing creates micro holes in a thin plastic backing of the disposable. This is still little protection as what happens is that wetness gets caught between the two plastic layers. As a result, the glue of the tapes tend to fail since same are exposed to wetness. Also, since water cannot be compressed, it finds a way out - leg holes / waist. This is increased overnight as urine escapes via the back waist / front waist band (depends on which way you lay as you sleep).

The best way to increase the protection of plastic pants is to add a layer of absorbancy between the diaper and the pants - ie cotton underwear etc. A thin training pant would also work. Otherwise, daytime one will have the standard half moon wet patches. This tends to increase the risk of rash as the leg marks of the elastic of plastic pants tend to keep that specific area damp.

Plastic pants are only for style / covering cloth diapers / covering a layer of cloth. Otherwise, they will leak.

I cannot disagree more. I use a bloomer style of covering with the legs cuffed. The waist comes half way up my back and consistently should I leak the excess is caught in the bloomer. I also use a booster with a quality diaper. It’s not done to make me feel secure. It’s done to keep the bed dry.

8 minutes ago, incondl said:

I cannot disagree more. I use a bloomer style of covering with the legs cuffed. The waist comes half way up my back and consistently should I leak the excess is caught in the bloomer. I also use a booster with a quality diaper. It’s not done to make me feel secure. It’s done to keep the bed dry.

I have to agree with incondl, well said

I’ve always held with the notion, that plastic pants over a disposable was a good thing. But, eventually they will allow the moisture through, if enough builds up. A better option is, cloth lined plastic pants, terry or plain cotton types. I know some people, don’t like that cause, it could mean having to washing the pants. And furthermore, these types of plastic pants are somewhat a problem to wash, and care for. They can take long to dry, and the plastic will, at some point fail before the cloth part. There are versions, that allow the cloth pant to be pulled inside out, from the plastic outer part. This helps with quicker drying times. 

Another, but similar option is, to but separate pants. Plain terry, or cotton pants, and plain plastic pants. Then you can just toss the cloth pants in with the wash, and also the heat dryer. 

I like the idea of using terry cloth panties, they soak up moisture quickly. 

Those are my thoughts on this, might be some more work in the wash department, but will be less when you consider a leak when out and about. 

• 7 months later...

I wear a diaper cover when I play basketball or do anything really physical. I mean, a diaper could tear or split or rip because of physical activity. It's never happened but I think it's a good idea, in any case. Otherwise, I usually don't wear a diaper cover although I always have one or two in my diaper bag. Just in case, right?