LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

bbc news report about catheters Small tube - big problem

Hey I'm with you cathdiap. now if we can just the medical professionals to go with us on this there would be less UTI's. On the realistic side of this discussion catheter use in the hospital is an easy solution for the staff. They connect it and forget it until its time to empty the drain bag. Much easier than helping someone to the bathroom.

Good article thanks for posting RC.

Same here, weak article that says space age tech will help, but doesn't say what that is. Catheters are also pretty safe when you use them at home. In a hospital, the rates for an infection are way higher too, more than double.

I hate Catheters .. no way around it I think they are way over prescribed, in my years as being Incontinent every Urologist had suggested Catheters and they always claim Diapers are a bad control method, but When I have had Catheters (many Times)

• Like 2

There's a word for that...projection...as in the doctor thinks you want to do what he thinks he would want to do in your shoes....never having experienced the pain or the infections, and never gotten over his own feelings of shame about diapers!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate Catheters .. no way around it I think they are way over prescribed, in my years as being Incontinent every Urologist had suggested Catheters and they always claim Diapers are a bad control method, but When I have had Catheters (many Times)

Most Doctors seem to think they know everything when a lot of the time you can know more than they do by researching online yourself. When a Doctor recommends something I know isn't right, I always ask them to tell me their personal experiences with that. When they admit they have no personal experience I let them know that I do, and that my way is provably better. If they continue to argue against me I begin reciting all the research I've done and they quickly see they are dealing with someone who knows more than they do and that they aren't going to win this round so they quit while they're ahead :P

The main reason hospitals prefer caths is that it is the best way for them to minimize contact with urine which in itself isn't wrong or bad. It also reduces the bulk of their hazardous waste output. But when they put their own care ahead of yours, there is something inherently wrong with their way of thinking. They can and do use gloves to prevent transfer of nasties and that's really all that is needed.

Motivations and attitudes are what causes the results you get; start off wrong and you will continue to be wrong thereafter until you go back and start off right. That goes for everything in life, yours and everyone else's. Doctors seem to forget that the choices are yours and their role is only to suggest which ones they think are best for you. It's your body and your life, not theirs, and sometimes they need to be reminded of that ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm a foley user due to medical necessity. For the last 15 months I've been a catheter user, because of extreme urinary frequency, urgency and incontinence. I get Cathed when my symptoms get real bad. I use silicone foleys. I get them inserted at home by my wife. She's a nurse.

I'm a foley user due to medical necessity. For the last 15 months I've been a catheter user, because of extreme urinary frequency, urgency and incontinence. I get Cathed when my symptoms get real bad. I use silicone foleys. I get them inserted at home by my wife. She's a nurse.

Be weary of using them for too long. I found out the hard way that you can develop a urethral sensitivity from being cathed to many times or for too long. May I recommend you start pursuing a more permanent and long term solution before

I usually only have them in for a few days at a time.......while I'm off work for 4-5 days......when I go to work for 2-3 days at a time I go without the foley and suffer without it. When I'm home for a stretch of days my wife will put the foley in. At first the catheter caused me a lot of discomfort, but nowadays I don't even notice that it's in......I used to get some bleeding when I would do strenuous tasks, but I don't even notice that happening anymore. It is better to have a foley than spend all my time in the bathroom and being up all night peeing.

I usually only have them in for a few days at a time.......while I'm off work for 4-5 days......when I go to work for 2-3 days at a time I go without the foley and suffer without it. When I'm home for a stretch of days my wife will put the foley in. At first the catheter caused me a lot of discomfort, but nowadays I don't even notice that it's in......I used to get some bleeding when I would do strenuous tasks, but I don't even notice that happening anymore. It is better to have a foley than spend all my time in the bathroom and being up all night peeing.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I was too...at first. Before I used to be able to say the best times when my quality of life was greatly improved was when I was cathed. Eventually that welcome mat got worn out though. Now the best quality I can get right now is when I strain to pee. I've been through 3 sphincterotomies in the last year alone, and have a fourth scheduled in less than two weeks. Despite what you may have heard, they are NOT fun to go through.

My advice from personal experience;

How are you straining to pee with 3 sphincterotomies??? Wow?? I usually don't go more than 12 days with a foley. That's the longest I've had one in. (Most of a 2 week vacation) I'd rather not have to live with a foley but sure do like the freedom its provided me. I went 7-8 days without one a little while back. I enjoyed not toting the bag around and changing bags morning and night but, being in the bathroom 25 times a day and getting up multiple times at night gets old. After a few nights of interrupted sleep I begin to get very anxious and quick tempered with the slightest things and I begin to take it out on the wife and kids. And then she doesn't give me a choice about the foley. She'll tell me she's going to do it and I usually don't argue with her because I know I need to sleep through the night. So she caths me.......I don't pee in my diapers on purpose if I can make the toilet. My incontinence usually comes into play after I've gone to the bathroom and then I'll leak for 15-20 minutes until I have to go to the bathroom again, and then leak for another 15-20 minutes till I go again.......it's always small amounts and never floods but, it's enough I have to wear some protection. I prefer diapers, but wear pullups/pads with boxer briefs over them at work as I can conceal them easier. At home and any other time but when I'm in a uniform at work, I don't wear anything over my diapers. I just like to give the appearance of not being broken when I'm at work.

How are you straining to pee with 3 sphincterotomies??? Wow?? I usually don't go more than 12 days with a foley. That's the longest I've had one in. (Most of a 2 week vacation) I'd rather not have to live with a foley but sure do like the freedom its provided me. I went 7-8 days without one a little while back. I enjoyed not toting the bag around and changing bags morning and night but, being in the bathroom 25 times a day and getting up multiple times at night gets old. After a few nights of interrupted sleep I begin to get very anxious and quick tempered with the slightest things and I begin to take it out on the wife and kids. And then she doesn't give me a choice about the foley. She'll tell me she's going to do it and I usually don't argue with her because I know I need to sleep through the night. So she caths me.......I don't pee in my diapers on purpose if I can make the toilet. My incontinence usually comes into play after I've gone to the bathroom and then I'll leak for 15-20 minutes until I have to go to the bathroom again, and then leak for another 15-20 minutes till I go again.......it's always small amounts and never floods but, it's enough I have to wear some protection. I prefer diapers, but wear pullups/pads with boxer briefs over them at work as I can conceal them easier. At home and any other time but when I'm in a uniform at work, I don't wear anything over my diapers. I just like to give the appearance of not being broken when I'm at work.

Take a look at my thread here;

Yeah, everyone is going to respond to the chance of a UTI differently. I've heard plenty of cases where people get infections from just having a catheter in place. Others have never had it no matter what they do.