LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Database Optimization - 1300 users deleted

In order to try and get the board running like it used to I am going to be doing some pruning over the next few days. The current database is over 2GB in size, and that is a huge amount of data that has to be searched through and maintained by the server.

• Like 1

DailyDi,

Out of curiosity, did DD also disable Tapatalk access during the purge? I'm having issues logging in through the TT app. :-/

Cool. Was just curious.

TT can be pretty glitchy at times anyway, so I was hoping it wasn't simply a "dumb user" issue, lol...

2GB is a huge amount for a database (mySql) since it's 2Gb of TEXT not images - That's about a million pages worth of text. Usernames, passwords, posts, warnings, logs, etc... that has to be searched through for every hit by every user

Funny...sounds like the database needs some additional metadata and optimization...like an index of where each post number is stored, and lists of post numbers for each forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I do realize that 2 gig of text is a problem if it isn't well-indexed and lives on a disk that takes 5 or 10 ms per read due to the spin, all bytes are created equal, and access times are multiplied by 200 or so concurrent users.

Edited by Dill_Pickle

Well, there goes my "johnny_7_o.m.a" LB account that I have maintained under the radar since 1997. Just do not tell Rachel Elimy or Joanne; please

The next step of course, is to get rid of some really old threads that no one will miss, or, I have proposed simply making them slower to access so that the material that is accessed constantly can be accessed more quickly.

Does that not kind of defeat the unoffical policy that it is better to zombie a necro than to start a new thread that says the same thing. Speaking of starting needless threads, I wonder about the feasibility of a list of Frequently Used Threads

This has actually come up before. The general consensus was the exact opposite. It is better to leave an old thread and start a new one. As I recall, the reasoning behind this was that general attitudes, and society beliefs, tend to shift over time. What was once relevant to a topic can become completely irrelevant in just a couple of years. There is also the problem of hijacking someone's old thread when it is actually better to start your own.

Personally I like the idea of having older topics archived in some way that would still allow us to see a snap shot of how things used to be.

I think the argument FOR nec's is that new persons come in and if a thread already exists for something they are interested in, they do not have to create a new one with all that implies for processsing labels and search engine work. If you are going to keep them as archives, that's extra work. Work is a function of effort and time: Effort is an expenditure of energy and time is money. Also, there is an opportunity cost since that energy and time could be used elsewhere

I vaguely recall visiting a forum that had a sub-forum for the necroes

I guess it is a function of how dynamic your membership is over time and how much expansion you expect. From what I see here, Boomers (1946-65) are statistically very under-represented here both membership-wise and as a %age of total population. Especially in relation to DPF circa 1985

Christine:

In discussing how old threads should be handled, never forget that it is a discussion about what happens to people, not the search engines. Whether threads should be necro'd as opposed to restarted should depend on how much work the humans, that is the readers and the writers end up doing, and what those humans get out of the experience.

Some kind of usage or accessed-based decision making that would place the really stale threads in a read-only archive and remove them from the paths taken by the main forum acesses is what I am advocating for. I'm not sure that the decision shouldn't be to archive everything and start over. A lot of this depends on what DailyDi has available to him at what cost.

Dill, I'm in agreement with you on this. It would be nice to see it be an automatic process though, or at least one that is easy to do. There is a crap load (official unit of measure for dd) of very old threads, and I can't see having to go through each one to archive it would be the right way to go. No idea how something like that could be implemented though, and like you said it would all depend on how Mike wants to go with it. Still, I'd hate to see all of that content completely wiped out, even if I may never end up seeing any of it again any ways.

I suppose if you could archive it and if someone wanted to re-open that subject, a link to the inactive threads could be put in the original post of the new thread. then to you might just want to delete tim-locked threads like the various date-specific munch or other meeting threads or my "The Land Unknown": I should have put that in my status updated then I could have deleted it on Sunday. And someone mentioned the gazillion "Hi" threads in the Newbie Nursery