LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

McDonalds - Avoid Them!

I ran a McDonald's. I was a family friend of the franchise honor, and he hired me on as the store manager in training, and then left me as the store manager. I was laid off when he sold the franchise, along with the rest of the management of the store. (They pretty much told us we could reapply if we want to, but they had there own people in mind. The store did close three months after they laid us all off. Funny what happens when you get rid of the people who know what they are doing.) Before that, I was a waitress, at Denny's then a Supervising Waitress at Coco's. and briefly a shift manager before I got the job at McDs.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, but from the other side around. Other restaurants put cheese on EVERYTHING. I know, I'm weird because I don't like cheese. So, if I ask them to take it off, sure, they will, but they don't lower the price. At McDonald's there is a price difference between a hamburger and cheeseburger. I think if they want to charge extra for mayo, they should reduce the price for holding things like cheese. They won't because they're all a bunch of greedy b*st*ards.

First, McD's is close to bankruptcy, according to reports I hear...people just aren't buying their burgers, or the meat in the burgers is starting to cost too much, or maybe everybody has decided they can't or won't afford sodas and fries, or maybe the competition has reduced their volume and profit margins.

Whoa, in the USA this is a violation of the law. All business are required to have drinking water available to all customers without having to pay for something to get it. This is why everywhere you go there is a drinking fountain. Fast food companies can get around this by serving up free water from their fountain, but it's still required. Now I'm going to have to look up that code section in the international building code.

Wow, really? If you're talking about any business regardless of what they sell, I'm pretty sure the majority of places in this are and this state as a whole are technically breaking the law. Even if you're only talking about restaurants I'm pretty sure several places around here are probably breaking the law as well by charging for water as if it were a soft drink.

Last time we were in the UK most fast service restaurants charged for extra for extra condiments. Not sure if that's still the case but ai can see that coming here as more and more restarants are not putting out the packaged condiments you have to ask, our local Tims you have to ask for napkins when you go through the drive through and the no longer put the wax paper on top of the doughnut so it now sticks to the bag. Every one is cost cutting but having to pull a doughnut off the inside of the paper bag is a pain.

I have to agree that a pack of mayo or even have them put it on from their cold bar is a bit much. But I know as a former restaurant owner. Most customers want something for nothing. Water should be free in this world, it falls from the sky. That being said McDonalds doesn't get their water free, why should they pass it on for free? The cups, lids, straws, Mayo packs and bulk all show up to the store on a truck that has to be paid for. The driver has to be paid, insurance on the truck, tire wear, fuel, then insurance on the employees to unload and stock said items and then dispense. Not to mention room to stock, refrigeration, inventory control. Again I agree 30 cents might sound like a bit much but people need to factor in all things before complaining or boycotting a establishment.

I've never been charged for water at a McDonalds, but they often provide a sundae cup for it. This means I can take 3 gulps and it's gone. I guess either those cups are cheaper, or they can more easily tell if someone loads them with soda. In any case, the obvious answer was that I began to order multiple cups of water. :) Some still provide a real cup, and I try to patronize them instead.

My kids really liked McDonalds for many years, but they decided they like Burger King better. Have to agree! We still go to McD's sometimes, but not nearly as often as we used to.

As far as mayo, at least out here they have something called the "Hot & Spicy", which is a spicy chicken sandwich, and it comes with mayo on it. I've asked for extra mayo and never been charged.

At Burger King, they'll sometimes ask if I want whipped cream on the shake, and then say it will cost extra. No big deal, add it!

At Wendy's they charge extra when you want extra butter and sour cream for your potato. I actually get annoyed when they don't push the button for that when I ask for it, because then they invariably forget to add it and I have to ask them for it. I'd rather pay a few more cents to avoid the hassle.

What I used to like is the old commercials years ago when they had a .99 sandwich. They made a big deal of "Change back from your dollar" and showed the cashier giving the customer a penny back. DUH! It must be in New Hampshire where they didn't have any sales tax! Anyplace else you had to pay sales tax making the total out of pocket over $1.00. Advertising. Anyway, you all do what you want. I will eat at someplace that gives you mayonnaise or extra onions at no extra cost along with a cup for my water.

I often find the best place for that is at home. The ingredients also tend to be fresher, less fatty, and simpler which I find also makes the food taste better and more healthy to boot.

Different states and even cities have different policies on whether they tax "food" (Ohio didn't) or "prepared food" (Virginia taxes food, Charlottesville taxes prepared food from restaurants).

Last time we were in the UK most fast service restaurants charged for extra for extra condiments. Not sure if that's still the case but ai can see that coming here as more and more restarants are not putting out the packaged condiments you have to ask, our local Tims you have to ask for napkins when you go through the drive through and the no longer put the wax paper on top of the doughnut so it now sticks to the bag. Every one is cost cutting but having to pull a doughnut off the inside of the paper bag is a pain.

After sales tax is a weird thing to me, see a price and then pay more because of the tax... Here the tax is rolled into the price so the price on the shelf is what you pay.

The water is free, the cup costs them money.

Extra toppings usually cost money now as margins are slim since people won't accept realistic price increases at fast food places. (A dollar burger ten years ago is still a dollar now... while everything else in the world has gone up.)

I would argue that a burger that cost us a dollar ten years ago only cost McD's 15 cents. Today it costs them 25 cents and they need to raise prices?

I'd be happy to pay an extra few nickels for a meal if it went into paying their employees a living wage and not their corporate coffers.

i have one bone to pick with this thread

that being MC'Donalds is a franchise only company model there are no corporate run stores(run by McDonald’s USA, LLC) and there never have been

There are several stores around here run by McDonald's Canada.

I would argue that a burger that cost us a dollar ten years ago only cost McD's 15 cents. Today it costs them 25 cents and they need to raise prices?

I'd be happy to pay an extra few nickels for a meal if it went into paying their employees a living wage and not their corporate coffers.

Food costs are only a small part of the cost of a fast food restaurant.

Want to build a McDonald's, you will spend well over 2 million before you sell a single item.

The capital costs have to be built into the price structure.

The biggest cost to any business is always labour.

My wife was a food buyer for an industrial cafeteria several years ago. She found out that the major cost in selling soft drinks to customers is the cup, cover, and straw. The small amount of soda and syrup mixed with the water in the drink was the least cost. If you realize that when you get a drink at a fast food place you're essentially buying the cup, cover, and straw you can see why the charge for water is a dollar. Don't like it? Bring your own water from home....

I'd think the handling time for a cashier to fill that paper cup was also quite significant in the cost picture...why else do many places just hand people a cup and let them fill the cup themselves?