LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Adult Baby Diapers
Zander

Tena Slips "Original" now shipping (plastic backed version).

13 posts in this topic

As most of you will know, SCA Heathcare switched their primary tape-up brief (the "Tena Slip" line) to a cotton-feel/fabric-like backing version during the middle of last year as part of a shift to their new range, renaming the old line "NB".

The new version has now filtered through to most stocks, in the process phasing out the PVC plastic/smooth backed original.

SCA has also launched now launched "Tena Slip Original" which is plastic/PVC backed.  Note that it is NOT the same as the previous Tena Slips, but is similar in design to an Attends (e.g. Attends Slip (M 10)) or MoliCare Premium Soft (i.e its a PVC backing sheet with breathable wings).

The Tena Range for tape-up briefs is now as follows:

• TENA Slip (AKA: ConfioAir ) [Plus|Super|Maxi|Ultima] [XS|S|M|L] (Breathable sides, cotton-feel backing sheet)

• TENA Slip B  [Plus|Super|Maxi|Ultima] [XS|S|M|L] (Cottonfeel backing sheet without breathable sides)

• Tena Slip NB [Plus|Super|Maxi] [XS|S|M|L] (PVC backing sheet without breathable sides)

• TENA Slip Original [Plus|Super|Maxi] [s|M|L] (Breathable sides, PVC backing sheet)

post-33739-0-50633600-1425913515_thumb.j

post-33739-0-69650800-1425913519_thumb.j

post-33739-0-71369900-1425913523_thumb.j

post-33739-0-27542600-1425913528_thumb.j

post-33739-0-50633600-1425913515_thumb.j

post-33739-0-69650800-1425913519_thumb.j

post-33739-0-71369900-1425913523_thumb.j

post-33739-0-27542600-1425913528_thumb.j

Interesting. XP Medical in the states said that the Tena Slip Maxi was now all-cloth. So this "NB" is what we need to seek to get the old kind back in the USA.

I'll order the new cloth kind and give it a try. I never got a chance to try the old kind... but even I'm looking for a better day-to-day diaper for public wearing.

I encourage others stateside to do the same. It might help XP Medical push to stock NB's if there is strong customer feedback from those actually paying money.

My girlfriend is incon and the Tena Maxi where a real standby for us for a long time. When they were discontinued we kinda freaked out. There wasn't really too many other options. XP started carrying the Basic Super which was a godsend. Fortunately these seem to be staying the same.

Now onto the "Original". We ordered a sample. I don't think we will be trying more than the first one. Usually I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe the one we tried was just defective. So first impressions. They're like the Molicare Comfor Super but the breathable side panels are a lot flimsier (I'll get to that in a second). The plastic seems roughly similar to the old Maxi but they lack a tape panel.

The really bad. When we first put it on one of the tapes just ripped right off as I was trying to tape it on her. Okay, that happens occasionally with even the best diapers. I just grabbed some packing tape to remedy the problem. So after about an hour the thing was so loose it was falling off. The cloth panels just have no stratal integrety. Then I noticed the entire back of it was just falling apart. We hadn't even been walking or anything. We were sitting in bed. We were in the middle of watching something and had to stop everything we were doing to deal with it. If we had been in public it would have been a nightmare.

So in conclusion Tena has made one of the best day-time diapers I have ever known of into a diaper that…

- side panels that rip so easily the tapes often come completely off before you even put it on

- side panels so weak they stretch so much it gets loose almost immediately after putting it on

- and finally it literally falls apart

and here's some pictures to prove it. Do not buy, especially if you're incontinent and actually need to have confidence in public.

16256379034_dea13db47e_z.jpg

16258754063_fa715a21ac_z.jpg

I'm gah!ghost's girlfriend, and I just wanted to add that I'm highly disappointed in Tena and every other manufacturer that thinks it's a good idea to take good products that incontinent people RELY on every day and turn them into heaping piles of garbage that provides no solution for managing incontinence.  Thanks Tena!  ...and all the other companies that have gone down this ridiculous "breathable" route.  Nobody wants these products.  Incontinent people can't rely on them, and most ABDL people that I'm aware of don't want them either.  So WHY is everyone ruining perfectly good products?  Or at least not offering the former product in addition to the new one?

I'm right there with you ashley. I've had WAY too many manufacturers out there do this same thing over and over again. Heck, I remember when Depends actually used to be dependable.

The manufacturers do this because they are following suit with what the greatest number of people want. That means the baby boomers. Over the years they have been developing a lot of mild or stress incontinence, and they do not want plastic backed diapers. In addition to all of this, the manufacturers have been following classic capitalism. They want to make the cheapest product possible that they can sell for the most possible. All of this combined does not bode well for truly incontinent people or AB/DL's either.

I have no proof of this but I think a big part of it is also reducing shipping weight. I just weighed the old all plastic ones and one of the new ones. The old weighs 130g and the new is 100g. That's a nearly a 25% savings in weight. I think the whole "thinner is better!" marketing is also in relation to that. Thinner equals smaller dimensional size and lower weight.

That's gotta be part of it. That's a pretty significant difference. I'm betting the all cloth ones are even lighter. Shipping and warehouse costs is such an albatros around the neck of modern physical product business.

I guess the good news is, increasingly it seems (at least here in the US) the incontinence retailers like XP and Northshore are stepping up and trying to fill the void left by actually functional incontinence products.

I have no proof of this but I think a big part of it is also reducing shipping weight. I just weighed the old all plastic ones and one of the new ones. The old weighs 130g and the new is 100g. That's a nearly a 25% savings in weight. I think the whole "thinner is better!" marketing is also in relation to that. Thinner equals smaller dimensional size and lower weight.

It's also worth considering that plastic is made from oil, and natural gas, typically.

growing_gap.gif

By 2011, the cost of plastic rose 115% over the course of a decade. I have no idea how much more it costs now.

So with the removal of the plastic from the wings(i believe it still contains some plastic, but the mil, and overall amount is reduced), they probably do save a lot of money.

But really, a large factor is people demanding the products they think they want. Even if those products are inferior, few people (aside from us) want to wear a plastic diaper.

Don't forget the cotton that is replacing it strips the land too. It requires strip mining other areas for the minerals that need to be replaced, and adds pollution and cost to transport, distribute, and apply those minerals. I hope you support insecticide and water depletion too because cotton also requires a lot of both of those too.

Yeah we all get plastic isn't good for the environment, but please don't pretend cotton is all that better of an alternative.

If you are that unhappy with a product then please take the time to write or call in a complaint. Perhaps if they get enough negative feedback they'll change their diapers back to the better version.

Even if those products are inferior, few people (aside from us) want to wear a plastic diaper.

You would be surprised.  I've talked to a lot of incontinent people similar to myself, and most of us want a plastic diaper.  They work better, have less issues and give us more confidence.  Sure there's a lot of people who have minor continence issues who would probably prefer the non-plastic kind... but from everyone I've talked to and come across who has more severe issues... plastic seems to be the consensus.

It's also worth considering that plastic is made from oil, and natural gas, typically.

growing_gap.gif

By 2011, the cost of plastic rose 115% over the course of a decade. I have no idea how much more it costs now.

So with the removal of the plastic from the wings(i believe it still contains some plastic, but the mil, and overall amount is reduced), they probably do save a lot of money.

But really, a large factor is people demanding the products they think they want. Even if those products are inferior, few people (aside from us) want to wear a plastic diaper.

And guess what???  ALL of them are STILL made of plastic!  From the top sheet, all the way to the "cloth like" backing, which is also PLASTIC.  The difference is that the backing is actually made from a spun plastic fiber material, and the same goes with the so-called "breathable" Abenas and similar products.   That's why people who go full eco opt for cloth diapers with a wool cover.

And guess what???  ALL of them are STILL made of plastic!  From the top sheet, all the way to the "cloth like" backing, which is also PLASTIC.  The difference is that the backing is actually made from a spun plastic fiber material, and the same goes with the so-called "breathable" Abenas and similar products.   That's why people who go full eco opt for cloth diapers with a wool cover.

Yes, hence my comment in regards to the wings "I believe it still contains some plastic, but the mill, and overall amount is reduced."

The simple fact that they're almost 50% lighter is reason enough for the change. Less material costs and lower shipping weight.