LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What's the toughest and long lasting material for waterproof pant?

You want a pair of plastic pants that are made from PUL (Poly-Urethane Laminate) which is not degraded by cleaning agents or baby creams, lotions, or oils like plastic is.

Get plastic panties that are made of thick, 4 to 7 mil, material. Also some persons have Babykins rubber panties they say lasted more than 5 years. I have some Comco's over 10 years old and while the elastics are pretty much gone, the material is in good to very good condition. The good kind outlast the life of the elastics. I do not trust any composite materials and vinyl is the most bio-friendly as exemplified by its use in drinking water pipes. Plastic and rubber have the longest track record: over 65 years

As for getting hard and cracking. That means that the plastic is coming into contact with oil, probably diaper rash medicine

I have no problem being sweaty save under the most hot and humid condtions and baby powder should help that matter

Gary Polyurethane (just polyurethane, not laminated to cloth) are very comfortable, semi transparent, breathable plastic pants that are tougher than PVC, do not go hard, are not affected by oily creams and last longer than their elastic.

Heat, sunlight, and solvents or soaps which remove the plasticisers are the ban of all plastic materials :( Back when I wore plastic panties regularly I simply showered with them and just rinsed them very well (I don't poop my diapers so rinsing is enough if it's done well). I'd stretch each elsatic in the water stream several times to be sure the water was completely penetrating, then leave them hanging there to air dry. I've had only 1 or 2 crack from aging ;) If you are talking about many months of use, then the cracking is somewhat normal. If it's faster then either the material is cheap or you are doing something that is shortening their lifespan :rolleyes: My only experience with PUL is with the Salk brand, and of them stay away- they tend to leak where the elastic begins with very little wearing <_< Otherwise go for quality, give them proper care, and you should see them last quite a while.

Heat, sunlight, and solvents or soaps which remove the plasticisers are the ban of all plastic materials :( Back when I wore plastic panties regularly I simply showered with them and just rinsed them very well (I don't poop my diapers so rinsing is enough if it's done well). I'd stretch each elsatic in the water stream several times to be sure the water was completely penetrating, then leave them hanging there to air dry. I've had only 1 or 2 crack from aging ;) If you are talking about many months of use, then the cracking is somewhat normal. If it's faster then either the material is cheap or you are doing something that is shortening their lifespan :rolleyes: My only experience with PUL is with the Salk brand, and of them stay away- they tend to leak where the elastic begins with very little wearing <_< Otherwise go for quality, give them proper care, and you should see them last quite a while.

I've got eight pair of PUL panties altogether. Four from Changing Times Diaper Co that Robert has Kins

make for him. I use them with my CTDC prefolds for overnight wear. Haven't had any leaks with them and

the elastics are holding up well. I also have four PUL pullup one's from Dependeco that I wear daily over

my disposable A+'s and my AIO's. They're a lot cooler than my plastic pants ever were when I'm out and

about in the heat. They're also holding up well, with no wear yet on the elastics.

How you wash plastic pants and the water used has an effect on their expected useful life. Here in Florida the water is very hard. Florida's water has a high mineral content. After I bought a water softener, I noticed that both diapers and plastic overpants last longer. I also installed a non-detergent washing system. The washwater treatment system cost about 500 bucks but you can omit detergent. The system I am describing is called "wash-it". The "wash-it system" is effective with cold water. The true test of the system is how it handles the extremes: dog shit, cat shit, cat piss, human shit and human piss.

Personally, I make waterproof pants out of PUL and they hold up well. As for washing/drying, they are durable but you must use care because of the elastic. Hand wash PUL pants. The spin cycle of a washing machine will get thrown off balance if you machine wash them. A little laundry soap in a bucket works. Rinse them well. It is best to dry them on LOW heat, but I usually put them in the dryer on MEDIUM heat with a load of diapers. The PUL can withstand high heat, but the elastic won't last as long.

I'm sorry you are right. I was thinking PEVA which I had not read in a topic in awhile and was confusing it with PUL. But PEVA plastic pants are noisy, right?

Yeah, peva is a harder type of plastic/vinyl. It is much louder too.

• 4 weeks later...

urethane or poly urethane plastic panties are by far the longest lasting, another name to look for them is 'euroflex'. llmedico sells euroflex plastic panties and they are close to indestructible. i had two pair that i wore 24/7 for well over two years, what finally gave out was the elastic, but the panty itself was as soft as new.

The question is not the durability of the material but the durability of the elastics and other variables. rubber and PVE are both known to be bio-friendly. The material of which Comco's were made was in good condtion when the elastics were done, and that was a few years, about 5 after I got them

I've been through a LOT of different waterproof pants. For me, polyurethane pull (PUL) have been the longest lasting by more than double any other kind.

They are quiet, don't cut into my skin, and I really like the activewear design which has forward facing leg openings that give me a better fit.