LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The problem with being a 90's baby

First I have to say, I think I am one of the youngest on this site, being born in March of 1995. That being said I should also note that I was potty trained at 18months (according to my mom), so I literally have no recollection of diapers, until I started wearing the second time around.

The problem with being a 90's baby, I have no idea what a cloth diaper is. I have never seen one, let alone used one. The concept is so strange to me, that I have more questions than I've had birthdays. For example, if they are made if cloth, how do you stop it from going into your pants? Does it just feel like wetting your pants, or do you have the absorption feeling like disposables? What are diaper pins? Folding? How do you wash them? Where do you get them? Are they better than disposables? Why?

I could go on and on, but I won't. My point is, I feel like I am horribly uneducated (and slightly deprived).

I never thought I would live to see the day when a GG (Genetic Girl) would not know about (cloth) diapers

when I was little they were called "diapers and rubber panties" because waterproof panties were put over the diaer to protect the outer garment from getting wet

A diaper pin is a jumbo safety pin made to hold the diaper in place

Hi Bows and Ribbons,

It stands to reason you are confused about cloth diapers. I'm about 30 years your senior and have been wearing cloth diapers most of my life, yet I get confused.

• Like 1

Thank you Angela for the plug. After your description, I have quite a bit up to which to live. Perhaps you could make a blog entry of your full knowledge of diapers and rubber panties and I can link to it in my Review page since it will all be in one place and maybe DD can use it as the official reference page

A pictorial history of waterproof panties to 1954

http://other.sandralyn.net/panties.html

Then click on each image for it's full suzed duplicate

Correctamundo!

the first generation to use disposables heavily were the BabyBoomers (1946-65), who did not create the Post-war prosperity, but INHERITED it

I was born in '85 so I had no idea about cloth and didn't know how they worked. I couldn't understand how DL's could prefer cloth than disposable. But I decided to try them when I was an adult and liked them. They are annoying to take care of and they stink (literally) but they save money. if I had more income, I would be wearing disposables than cheap ones like I used to do. But now I wear a premium brand but only for work and when I go out but the Walgreens ones suck and I would have to double diaper but instead I use plastic pants and I use about two a day if gone all day.

It was in about 1985 that an article was published in Infantae Press about Disposable diapers and what the generation raised in them would be missing. This was when the SAP diapers were just coming into prominence in Europe and just being put into production in the US and were described as feeling clammy when wet

Above a highly qualified member of DD mentioned that in the old days rubber pants were used to cover cloth diapers. A good place to start research about cloth diapers is to visit the profiles of Christine Daryleanne

I might also point out, Angela, that you know much more about modern (after 1951) diapers than I do so my information about them may be dated. I know a little (Probably just enough to be dangerous) and most of what I know about diapers comes from the days of home-made. Many of the baby panties I saw did not even have forward facing leg openings (the side seams and crotches were so long and wide that you adjusted the fit by hand and though they were panties in shape, when in use some looked like bloomers or medieval/Rennassance pantaloons with very short legs). the largest size could fit a 9 year old. Size was a matter of the elastics, the body of the panties was usually very full. I do not know if you could do that now. Also the companies that made the real rubber ones seemed to think that they should be stretched over the diapers. I think that they made rubber childrens panties into the late 1950's or early 60's

I have ads for Kleinerts from 1871, 1911 and 1922. I remember having the peach colored rubber panties and translucent kind of ecru or a color like that, plastic ones put one me and I have the impression that it was before I was 3 but it could have been shortly after. That would be most likely 1948 or very late 1947. As I understand it, prefolds did not come out until 1951. I think I have an ad for playtex rubber panties from the late 1940's

The rubber sheets I remember are 3. A full size light ivory that I last saw in the mid 1970's, a small ivory with a hint of gray (that was my "blankie") and a burnt sienna colored non-stretchy one with some kind of grainy or pebbled finish that I last saw in 1956

Edit: I'm a 90's kid myself, and honestly: the only problem I have with being a 90's kid is that 90's kids love to use the term "only 90's kids will remember," like we're some sort of exclusive club. Which is just dumb and awful and not even true like wtf.

Why did that even happen? There were plenty of people who were born in the 80's and 70's who were "in their prime" (quotes because I know people born in the 60's and even earlier who are in much better shape now than ever before) and probably did every thing "90's babies"did. It's irritating to say the least.

I appreciate everyone's input on cloth diapers. I feel like that was the most influential history lesson I've gotten in a while.

Well, as to what panties and rubber sheet to get, use the "Review" link under my siggie and study them individually

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the cloth diapering system I use. Check out the links below from my gallery. Cloth diapers were all that was available when I was born even though Pampers came on the market in 1961. Even now, I've never tried disposable diapers but that's only because I don't have enough "privacy" to dispose of them.

• 4 months later...

Poor kids, don't know what you missed!.. I was at the tail end of cloth diapering (Born in 73), disposables were just becoming available, but I was raised in cloth, my cousin, about 2-3 years younger was the first of us "Kids" to wear disposables. First off, they're far more comfortable than disposables, though they do require plastic pants over them, which if incorrectly sized can be uncomfortable. Now though as a teen I did start wearing diapers again (secretly) I had to go with disposables (Attends were my preference) and up until.. um.. today I've used disposables (Tranqility ATN + Contour Booster), I just got some cloth ones to try to "Relive" my youth, They are certainly as comfortable as I remember, may switch to cloth 24/7, but for now I think I'll balance it out cloth for home, and disposable for work (Except for today as I want to wear a cloth to work today).

When I was a baby in the 70's my parents used both cloth diapers and disposables, because they couldn't afford disposables all the time but i prefer disposables over cloth diapers personally

I was a WWII baby so there was only Cloth and rubber pants. In these times there's a place for both.

I wear a disposable in the morning/ afternoon when I'm out and about. The rest of time I'm in cloth

and PUL panties to control my costs on a fixed income. I find for me this works real well. I find the

PUL panties are more economical than plastic panties plus they're cooler. Been wearing the same

four since last Sept with no problems.

I am a 1948-54 baby and little girl For the most part, diapers were home-made and sometimes specially designed

For me. PUL and disposable just feel creepy, more correctly, alien. Babyinks rubber and gary plastic or A.C. Medical work the best. I think you would need an elephant gun to kill the Gary 7 mil and Babykins 15 gauge rubber panties and rubber sheet which smell like the originals. They are all very authentic. See my reviews

As an LG, any generic reasonably human-looking doll does fine and of course, I have my tea se

Also, it was more common than uncommon to put little girls, and rarely little boys under 8 in diapers if they could not hold it COMFORTABLY for two hours for long car trips or other reasons. This was before the age of the expressway and from Tiverton RI to Boston MA up 138 was a two hour trip. From Tiverton to URI in Kingston RI was a 3 hour trip. If two or more such little girls were to be in the same house all afternoon (12-12:30to 4:30-5 PM), in my area, both would be in diapers to save on water and free up the bathroom