LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Adult Baby Diapers
Repaid1

Read First... No Excuses!

17 posts in this topic

This sub-forum was created as a request by those that use this site. It is here as a tool to help others hone their writing skills. The Advise, Direction, Critiques (both good or otherwise) are accepted by those entering and posting here. Keep this area civil and adult. ANY and I mean ANY infraction of site rules to this area will be dealt with Swiftly and Harshly. You have been WARNED! Now carry on and have fun and keep them stories coming! :P

If you are submitting a piece for critique:

1) You must participate in the forum before you may submit a piece.  This means you must offer critical analysis of at least 3 other existing posts ("great job" is not critical analysis) before you may post your own work.  Why?  Because posting your own work and never coming back isn't going to build a community. 

2) Don't be argumentative.  You are here because you want in-depth analysis.  If you don't agree with someone's opinion of your work, you are free to disregard it, but you are not free to start a fight over it.

3) Don't TAKE it personally!  Just because someone finds fault with your work, doesn't mean they find fault with you as a human being.

If you are critiquing others' work:

1) Don't MAKE it personal!  Just because someone's work has flaws, doesn't mean they as human beings are flawed!

2) Details!  We're here as critics to dig our forceps in and dissect this stuff, and we're here as writers to learn from others' objective viewpoints and knowledge that may exceed our own in certain areas.

3) As much as possible, stick to objective issues - spelling, grammar, punctuation are the basics, but also scene, descriptions, plot and character continuity and development, and other fundamental story writing issues.  "I don't care for (insert subject matter here)" is not critique, it's personal bias, and should only be included as a caveat if you choose to proceed with critiquing a story you just didn't like because of the topic or some of the choices made by the author.

Everybody:

Enjoy yourselves!  The ultimate goal here is to build an ABDL-centric writer's community, one where we help each other grow and blossom as writers, collaborate, and share ideas.

Submitted by:

WBDaddy

1 person likes this

Thank you for your efforts, Repaid1.  I know I'm looking forward to some intensive discussion and some really good literature coming out of this place.  :)

1 person likes this

Who else but you would be responsible for this WB xD Well played.

Hey now, I had accomplices... :D

The real downside is this thing still isn't working properly.  People are still throwing hissy fits about being critiqued even when they ask for it.

27 minutes ago, Personalias said:

The real downside is this thing still isn't working properly.  People are still throwing hissy fits about being critiqued even when they ask for it.

I think part of it is that the place is so quiet, we're disregarding our own rules about people being required to post feedback before asking for feedback - this weeds out the attention seekers who just want pats on the head and "good job!" 

From here out, we need to adhere to that rule - if someone just shows up and posts a request for feedback, we point them back to this thread and remind them that they need to give before they get.  If they don't within a certain timeline (say, 72 hours?), we get a mod to delete their request thread.

I don't know about the 72 hour rule.  I'd just say flat "Give before you get."  I'd rather a thoughtful review that took a week to post than a rushed "Great job! Now somebody reed my stry."  If they are seriously interested in "the craft" or whatever, they'll take the time to contribute.  If not, they'll get bored and walk away and no one need bother.

Probably right.  But it is ultimately up to us to make sure we're following that rule, that we're not giving feedback until we see that the person requesting is holding up their end of the bargain.

Self-moderation. ^^ Theoretically, it was working. Part of it was we trusted new comers who had to go out of their way to find this forum and actually understood what it was about and wanted to participate.   I mean, I don't know how much clearer we could be.  It's hard to explain the rules when someone wanders in and blithely ignores them.   You can try to idiot proof the world, but the world will just build a better idiot.  (Sowwy dat is weally, weally mean of me to say. I is a meany poo poo head. I sowwy for da but-hurted feewings. :crybaby:)

130579549220820110725-22047-moa3gt.jpg

The only recourse I can see is to, as has been suggested already, make the newbies prove they want to participate. Like, let us get to know them and make sure they can handle it. Although, technically, they should have read the damn sticky, read other threads already here, and know what this sub-forum is all about. 

Instead of  "using spell check would make your story more legible" and getting OMG BUTTHURT 111!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!! AMG U IS A MEANY POO POO HEAD. :crybaby:  :doh:

But if we wait for newblets to contribute (which would also help make this forum a little more active)  I can also see us getting accused of elitist literati snobbery. 

k11259313.jpg

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Cute_Kitten said:

Self-moderation. ^^ Theoretically, it was working. Part of it was we trusted new comers who had to go out of their way to find this forum and actually understood what it was about and wanted to participate.   I mean, I don't know how much clearer we could be.  It's hard to explain the rules when someone wanders in and blithely ignores them.   You can try to idiot proof the world, but the world will just build a better idiot.  (Sowwy dat is weally, weally mean of me to say. I is a meany poo poo head. I sowwy for da but-hurted feewings. :crybaby:)

130579549220820110725-22047-moa3gt.jpg

Holy shit, CK!  That might be the meanest thing I've ever read you say as yourself.  (As opposed to having a character in one of your stories say it.)

Damn.  Just sayin'.  I feel like when me and a couple other people get snarky, it's par for the course.  When you do it I feel like somebody must've crossed a line or something because you're normally so positive.  Damn.  Remind me to never cross you unless it's with light sabers.  :starwars:

Guilty as charged? :D  I try to play nice, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid. Oops, there I go again. 27116-770b6621cc41fa7ad41b21a12d0c1146.j

1 hour ago, Cute_Kitten said:

But if we wait for newblets to contribute (which would also help make this forum a little more active)  I can also see us getting accused of elitist literati snobbery.

Okay, but how do we recruit and encourage participation?

Any pitch I can imagine will come out like: "Hey come to our clubhouse where we'll mean girls all over your hard work."

2 minutes ago, Personalias said:

Okay, but how do we recruit and encourage participation?

Any pitch I can imagine will come out like: "Hey come to our clubhouse where we'll mean girls all over your hard work."

Touche' sir, touche'. I must admit, that point stumps me. 

Truth be told, I don't ever expect this to become a particularly busy forum.  It's buried as a sub-sub-forum.  People don't even know it exists.  Other than Elfking, apparently.  And even he doesn't know that no one else knows about it.

First rule of Critique Corner is, no one talks about Critique Corner, EVER! :D

Wow...if my eyes don't decieve me...someone asked for a critique.   Was told they'd have to critique first...and then deleted their request?

Add:  Did they delete the story too?  I don't think I see it.

4 minutes ago, Personalias said:

Add:  Did they delete the story too?  I don't think I see it.

Oddly enough, I think they did.  

*braces himself for accusations of trolling*

I'm a witness in this case.  All you did was post rule number one off of the "Read First: No Excuses" thread at the top.