LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Why do people hate Depends?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it just depends (ugh) on each person's experience. I can't speak for everyone, and I'm no expert in depends (I only bought them once), but in my experience they didn't have a lot of capacity, were prone to leaking a lot - and honestly they kind of disappointed when it came to how it felt. I guess that's just another consequence of not having a lot of capacity though.

The problem with Depends in my opinion is two fold: the way that people use them and the fact that they aren't designed to be wet multiple times without changing.

I used to use the depend diapers for working out. The elastic waist and 6 tabs made a great fit. Now that i get attends with waistband through my insurance i use those. Don't have big floods. So no performance issues in the product.

I wore them off and on back in the day- tried them but they did not fit me well- I stand rather tall- I am over six-feet and I have always had issues with the fit of Depends, issues with the amount they hold and they could be leaky and they did not last me all night long.

They barely hold any pee. I have leaked after the second time and I didn't even pee a lot each time. I read they hold 14 oz. That is less than two cups.

Well, first, I dislike them because they hold practically nothing, as other people have already said. The "pull-on" type briefs put me at a serious disadvantage if I'm wearing pants rather than a dress or skirt. I can take one off by ripping the sides, sure, but in order to put one on, I have to actually remove my pants. I don't know about you, but I'm just not physically able to do that in a tiny public-restroom stall.

Those depends are completely different from even the depends with tabs we have here in the us. Depends were pretty good back in the 90's and early 2000's, but now they don't hold anything worth a pee.

I had the unfortunate need of using them a few years ago and even with a moderate amount of peeing (not flooding either), they leaked just a little upon my second wetting (after about two hours).

The depends real fit, which are pullups, have even less capacity and a worse fit than the tabs do too.

Depends are fine depending (ha ha) on how you use them. I can get 'em from the corner Walgreens for $10/pack and they're good enough for a couple of hours. I actually use them a lot at work b/c I can change whenever needed and the Depends don't clump up when I'm active like the thicker diapers do.

I used to buy Depend briefs way back in the '90's when the first went to the all white outer shell and the printing on the package that they were "more underwear like"...and had the regular and over night varieties (regular in Mediums was 20 per pack vs, over night was 18 per pack WOOO HOO!!!) :P I always used the overnights as my regular diaper, because it would 'hold more' theoretically :P.

They worked fine for me as they were all I knew they 'worked' even though I could wipe one out in one good flood, and I had to walk around and not sit until they soaked everything up. What ever. I don't wear for need, so I don't 'need' them in that way, but they are fun for my desires. They did ok in the wet department, but for the other side of the coin, they did GREAT in containing most amny mess you could crank out! They had tall leak guards and wre pretty roomy in the seat, so a large load had plenty of space if needed :P and there were times I needed it :blush:

I stopped wearing them because I found better products that suited me better. Frankly, you can't argue with the likes of Abena, Molicare or (later on) Bambino. Much less any other brandavailable on-line. I tried attends and dispised them as they were worse then the Depends I had :P Plus they didn't even have leak guards! Whats up with that?

So, for what they were at the time, Depends briefs were OK, did their job, to a point, and were an over all 'functional' product. My only "real' complaint about them was the plastic shell was L*O*U*D! the crinkling was just off the hook, just to much for me. Finding better products that had better capacity, and were quieter was the death knell for Depends.

I'm sure they still are fine for what they are, and I am sure they have gone to the cloth backing top sheet as well (like everyone else) yet are still functional as Betty said, and all tha is fine and dandy, as long as they do what they are supposed to do, with in their limitations. Heck, a good booster pad will make them work wonders I am sure, but for me, something about those 3 tape tabs bugs me, but thats just me, and I know I don't HAVE to use the bottom tape :P but still.

So I don't really slag on Depends, they made me happy for many years, and if I run into an issue and needs 'something' in a hurry, fine, I'll go grab a bag and carry on. But I have good stocks and maintain them, so I shouldn't have to go to those measures.

I think those who slag on Depends do so out of disappointment in a domestic manufacturer's inability to produce a suitable product for a medical need. Heck, we went to the moon and we can't make a decent adult diaper to compete with European or Asian designs and markets? Oh well....no wonder this country has issues :P

So yeah, I'm a former Depends user /abuser :P and as I said, they worked fine for what they are and my desires, but better products and availability came along and {{{{POOF}}}} I switched to that which works better for me :D

Oh well, my money goes elsewhere and doesn't stay in the country with local manufacturers...Blame Congress :P:roflmao:

It sounds like we're in pretty much agreement that even though the long ago Depends of the early 90's were (meh) decent, that their current Depends are pretty much not worth a crap unless you only use them for very minor or light wettings. They do not hold very much overall, and can't take a flooding worth a drop

I've worn Depends since the early 90s, and I've never really had a problem with them. Given a cost-per-change breakdown, they seem to be the most efficient choice for me. I can get a bag of Depends on sale for around $12 for 20. Price = $0.60 per diaper. Change when wet about every 3-4 hours (I know, I probably don't drink enough

Wow, if you can make a depends pullup last four hours then you are definitely not drinking enough water.

Still, I can't argue the cost break down for you case. If I were to wear them then I'd probably be changing every 2 hours, or 4 times as often as I can get by with a single Dry 24/7. For me, that would be $2.40 for depends, vs. $1.55 for dry. Plus I'd have to deal with a lot more leaks too.

I wouldn't say that I hate Depends either. Their newly styled "underwear" would actually be nice if I had minor incontinence. Rather, I'd say that I feel disappointed with them for shifting their market focus to only people with minor incon. A large percentage of incontinent people cannot rely on Depends products to get them through the day, and I believe that almost everyone with bedwetting issues can not rely on Depends at night w/o a stuffer. Hell, if I have a bit to drink at night, I can even make an Abena M4 leak! As one of the major retail brands they don't really offer very good solutions for someone with heavy or total incontinence, and that leaves me having to go on-line to purchase. Ideally I would like to support an American brand. It makes sense to buy locally financially, but there are no American retail brands that offer protection for heavy incontinence anymore. Dry 24/7, Unique Wellness and XP Medical's A+ line are the only premium American made ones I know of. Still however, I dont feel like they are yet as good as the Abena M4 or the discontinued Tena maxi slip.

There are still Depends with side tapes? If that's the case, I might reserve my opinion of them until I try one. With the exception of one disastrous experience with a pull-on, I haven't worn Depends since the days when they were still green. When I made my original statement, I assumed they only made the pull-on briefs these days. That's all I seem to see in the stores.