LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Sewing my own. Suggestions

I am thinking about learning to sew my own diapers. Does anyone have suggestions about material and where to get patterns? Are there free patterns out there or does one need to buy them?

i too wish i could sew my own but alas, no money or sewing machine. material is whatever you want that's absorbant, for example: cotton. you also need a waterproof backing to keep wettness in. as for a pattern, just use a disposable.

You do not need a waterproof backing. That is why they make rubber panties and a contour diaper shaped like throw-aways are the least absorbent, aside from being the hardest and most expensive to make. The ones I wear are made after what was made for littles by a lady who worked in a dress shop in the early to middle 1950's

• 1 month later...

I've tried sewing PUL covers, PUL based pocket diaper covers, prefold style and finally flat squares. After all this experience, what I like best now are the flats. Wazoodle is a good source as are others that are easy to find. Once I got the fabric I wanted, and one was microfiber terry and the other was unbleached birdseye, I used a serger on all fours sides of the squares I cut to keep them from raveling. The serger is a Janome which I purchased online for a couple hundred. If you are going to sew diapers, it's a very useful tool to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it can be fun to thumb through the diaper pattern books at the craft stores. It really surprises me how elaborate some of the diapers can be. Of course you would have to make the measurements so that they fit you, but this would lead to a customized diaper just for you.

Prefolds are my favorite type of cloth diaper. One advantage to hemming the ends would be that it may hold up to more washings. I love to see colored thread used on the edges, looks so cute.

Are they cheaper if you have to buy the right kind of sewing machine?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it cheaper? Well, the points could be argued. As for the machine, yeah, you get what you pay for. The point for me is that some of the things I've wanted to try aren't available for sale. To try them, I had to make them. Yes, more is available on line now, but the people selling them are trying to make a profit. There are more justifications than price. The freedom to express my imagination is important to me.

Is it cheaper? Well, the points could be argued. As for the machine, yeah, you get what you pay for. The point for me is that some of the things I've wanted to try aren't available for sale. To try them, I had to make them. Yes, more is available on line now, but the people selling them are trying to make a profit. There are more justifications than price. The freedom to express my imagination is important to me.

Angela Bauer, who has posted extensively on the matter, has not weighed in here yet

Flat cloth diapers can be made using an appropriate sized piece of diaper flannel, Birdseye, or terry cloth--your preference. I make diaper flannel diapers using a 27" by 36" piece of fabric and then double hem the front and back edges so they don't fray and so that the pins have extra layers of cloth to hold them securely. That's the easy part. Waterproof pants need a pattern and a sewing machine but once you get a pattern that fits you, you can make as many sets as you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...I sew diapers all the time (hemming the front and back edges) and have no issues with the sewing machine. As far as fabric, if you need a lot, you can order diaper flannel online. Check out fabric.com. They always have lots of yardage in stock