LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Butterfly v Contour: input please!

Hi there!

Say, Im a side sleeper who recently wet my diaper through a failed, Goodwill-bought bed pad and stained our 800 $ mattress. Wife pissed. Now I need comfort and protection. I'm not new to cloth, but inexperienced in the following question:

What are the differences between butterfly and contour? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Which is better for side sleeping?

Thanks!

First: There is nothing like a good mattress protector

the diapers that I have (described in my reviews) were designed by a lady who had a bedwetter daughter and worked in a dress shop. Also a good rubber panty, maybe two (as recommended by more tha one DPF'er) is a necessity. Again look in my reviews. That means wide crotch and long side seams so that there is a good deal of material above the waist of the diaper and below the leg part

A contour diaper usually cuts material away from the sides of the middle of the diaper while the butterfly just folds it into the center. More material means more absorption but also more bulk. People that like contours like the reduction in bulk.

I was never happy with bloomers. They can be confining. Also they are too long for my babydoll

LL Medico 7 Mil Pull-on Christine Daryleanne Paradise

LL Medico 7 Mil Snap-on Christine Daryleanne Paradise

Theough I tested the X-Large, for myself I would get anywhere from the 2x-Large to the 5x-Large

• Like 1

I did have a 180 $ mattress pad on it, but it failed. It's past it's prime, about 5 years old. So, we were trying...I was just remiss on not updating my gear. It stinks. Do we replace the mattress?

If you are going to have an $800 matress then get a heavy-duty zipper cover

http://www.llmedico.com/product/57/gary-vinyl-mattress-covers/

And do not fool around with any kind of diaper that you have to ask about

Use what has a history of working for 40 or even 60 years

http://www.babykins.com/store/incontinence-bedding/rubber-sheeting/

My mattress has a somewhat thin zippered cover, a Comco fitted cover and a Babykins rubber sheet. And I have not leaked in years

If you are going to have an $800 matress then get a heavy-duty zipper cover

http://www.llmedico.com/product/57/gary-vinyl-mattress-covers/

And so not fool around with any kind of diaper that you have to ask about

Use what has a history of working for 40 or even 60 years

http://www.babykins.com/store/incontinence-bedding/rubber-sheeting/

My mattress has a somewhat thin zippered cover, a Comco fitted cover and a Babykins rubber sheet. And I have not leaked in years

Hi there!

Say, Im a side sleeper who recently wet my diaper through a failed, Goodwill-bought bed pad and stained our 800 $ mattress. Wife pissed. Now I need comfort and protection. I'm not new to cloth, but inexperienced in the following question:

What are the differences between butterfly and contour? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Which is better for side sleeping?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Honu explained it very well but I would not forget to also use a plastic pant to cover whichever style cloth diaper you go with. This is key to containing any leaks or moisture.

When it comes to plastic pants I'd actually recommend the Gary activewear PUL pants. They are more comfortable to me, and definitely last longer than the plastic ones. Plus, the pul material wraps around the typically nylon covered elastic bands (which wicks moisture), and prevents leaks even better.

• 3 months later...

I did have a 180 $ mattress pad on it, but it failed. It's past it's prime, about 5 years old. So, we were trying...I was just remiss on not updating my gear. It stinks. Do we replace the mattress?

I understand that sometimes those steam carpet cleaners can be used to clean a mattress. I have never tried it my self so try at your own risk.. I am sure that it could take several hours for the mattress to air dry afterwords..

http://m.wikihow.com/Remove-Urine-Stains-from-a-Mattress

I use "simple solutions- extreme stain and odor remover on my furniture and bed when I leak- goes through mattress. (Using above directions)

I also use a completely plastic cover on very bottom (typically very hot and noisy) followed by a combo fabric and plastic backed cover. (Cool- and keeps the plastic sheet quiet).

A cool, thick breathable sheet (so you don't feel any of the texture). Over that. And your bulletproof.

For side sleeping- tape up normally- go to tub and let loose. (On your side) with a full bladder. See where you leak. Front, legs, or back. That will tell you where you need to pay attention to the slack, and possibly add a particular type of extra pad (fast or slow absorption-do you leak immediately or only at half-near capacity)

If you wet, the rectangular diaper seem like a logical choice. They bunch up between the legs but that is where the absorption is needed. I cannot see a heavy wetter using butterfly or hour-glass style diapers.

Yeah, but if you're a side sleeper (like me) then the bunched up material between your legs won't help. A contoured diaper that is just as thick on the sides as the center is what we really need. I've been keeping an eye out for a good thick one, but have yet to find one.

• Like 1

Look at the ones that are in my review in my sig

They can be worn sigle or doubled

Yeah, but if you're a side sleeper (like me) then the bunched up material between your legs won't help. A contoured diaper that is just as thick on the sides as the center is what we really need. I've been keeping an eye out for a good thick one, but have yet to find one.

'

I use the contours from Baby pants. They are great, and easy to put on. for extra absorbancy I just use cloth stuffers too.

BUT DON*T USE A CONTO*UR OVER A DISPOSABLE.....done it, and it resulted in wet sheets.

Well my wife's pretty used to dealing with my wettings, so they were throwned in the washer without any additional remarks, other than "you put on the clean sheets oon the bed" end of story :thumbsup:

'

I use the contours from Baby pants. They are great, and easy to put on. for extra absorbancy I just use cloth stuffers too.

BUT DON*T USE A CONTO*UR OVER A DISPOSABLE.....done it, and it resulted in wet sheets.

Well my wife's pretty used to dealing with my wettings, so they were throwned in the washer without any additional remarks, other than "you put on the clean sheets oon the bed" end of story :thumbsup:

I had looked at those before, but they don't look very thick, and look like they have the typical more padding in the middle than on the sides. I'm a heavy wetter and a side sleeper, plus I'd rather have thicker diapers than always having to double them up.

Can only say, that to my experience, the contours is just as good as prefolds when it comes to being absorbant in the sides.

BTW I'm also using boosters in my prefolds, otherwise I have urine flowing around freely in my plastic pants :thumbsup:

I use the leakmaster prefolds. They often get soaked on the sides, but are nearly dry in the center. Having a booster in the same spot would, logically, stay mostly dry too. I've ordered an upgraded contoured cloth diaper from etsy though. Two outer layers of birds eye, two inner layers of flannel, and a core of zorb- no concentrated material in the center. Hopefully this will be enough for me,but it will take a couple of months for it to be made. We'll see.