Gennie

FIrearms  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a firearm?

• Yes, I do
    • No, I don't
    • Had some, they're gone
    • I've been thinking about getting one.

I have 'enough' firearms, I don't list them anywhere and nobody knows how many, what kind, and where they are except me ;) And safely stored not too far from here are some of what I once possessed (and more) in case there should ever be a need for more or different ones :ph34r: If I feel a need to be armed, then I am because one's survival is the first law above all other laws- it is unrepealable, unamendable, inviolate, and no government can ever change that <_< I'm happy that I don't feel that need as constantly as I used to but there's always something 'within reach' as I heard someone put it once. In handguns I prefer the absolute reliability of revolvers in the 38/357 class,

Yes, I own a number for personal and professional reasons, and have been around them all my life. Like others, I prefer not going into to much detail. some are for hunting, home defense, daily carry, targets, and/or other lawful purposes.

Used to own a few that was before I came to Israel,here fiearms are illegal to the general puplic unless you live in the occupied territories and are a settler.In South Africa I always carried a colt .45 ,also had a few hunting rifles and a legaliesed AK 47.In the army I carried a r 4 assult rifle or a 7.62 sniper rifle.

In Georgia, we hunt with our modern sporting rifles. Yes, they are ar15 based, but come in lots of calibers, and are plenty for the sized animals we have. Even though you rarely need to take a second shot, the semi auto action absorbs much more recoil than a bolt action, making them much more comfortable to shoot. It would be hard to imagine a hog hunt these days without an "assault rifle".

And to be clear, machine guns are not legal for hunting game animals. Sadly, neither are silencers (yet).

In Georgia, we hunt with our modern sporting rifles. Yes, they are ar15 based, but come in lots of calibers, and are plenty for the sized animals we have. Even though you rarely need to take a second shot, the semi auto action absorbs much more recoil than a bolt action, making them much more comfortable to shoot. It would be hard to imagine a hog hunt these days without an "assault rifle".

And to be clear, machine guns are not legal for hunting game animals. Sadly, neither are silencers (yet).

I would add that legal machine gun owners aren't going to go and commit crime with them, they cost too much and the tax stamp is too costly for things like that, they are used for recreational shooting only

I saw a few posts in this thread that were in response to my post. Instead of creating an extensive discussion around the topic of guns, gun rights etc., I just want to say this, which i hope adds color to my previous post:

I don't feel that things are getting worse in this country (the US) or the world in general. I see overall positive trends, certainly in my community, my ciity. I don't feel the need for personal protection as I don't see violent crime being an issue where I live, work and play. There has been exactly one incident of violent crime in my neighborhood in the last 12 years and that was a random situation where a mentally ill person snapped. Even when I travel, with and without family, to Latin America, the Middle East, you name it, even L.A., I trust my street smarts and planning to avoid any real danger - except maybe the most random acts of violence which for me fall into the same category as earthquakes and are less common than many other risks.

I feel that my owning a gun would require a fundamental shift in the way I perceive the world and my relation to society.

Due to my job, I carry a firearm. I have several firearms in my gun safe. My family also has a trained protection dog (German Shepherd Dog), and by trained I mean he came from a school that trains k-9's for protection.

Have you ever heard the saying "When seconds count, the police are minutes away"? Well, quadruple that if you live in the rural side of the country, way up in the hills with very few police per county. If one is in trouble out here, you're on your own. That's why I carry, and most people here do in some form or another. We know we have only ourselves to count on for our defense.

I understand those of you believe that guns are bad. But guns don't kill people. People kill people. I believe in owning a gun because people are crazy. Also, if the killer doesn't use a gun, he'll just use a different method of killing, most likely being more painful. I understand why guns can be bad. But they can save more lives than they kill.

I understand those of you believe that guns are bad. But guns don't kill people. People kill people. I believe in owning a gun because people are crazy. Also, if the killer doesn't use a gun, he'll just use a different method of killing, most likely being more painful. I understand why guns can be bad. But they can save more lives than they kill.

that is what my thought is, and im a gun hater. a gun cant make you kill, and as bad as this may sound, we should be lucky it was only guns used in these mass murderings because it could be something worse, like BOMBS, grenades, dirty bombs, the death toll could be much higher. instead of the 27 killed by lanza, it could be hundreds with bombs.

While it's relevant, let's please not let this thread turn into yet another gun control debate where nobody is ever going to change their mind on the matter.

I think we can safely assume that whoever owns guns here is safe with them since diapers with powder burns leak rather badly :whistling:

Bettypooh

Agreed. Very well said

I have just went through here and hidden a number of replies. I did not take time to read all of every one since I've been logged in here over an hour dealing with Mod issues and I have just got to where I can read the forums for my own fun so if you feel you were wrongfully affected please repost as you heed this:

• 1 month later...

I own a few, and with my job I need to. I am a good shot and get better each year. I am on the fence with concealed carry laws. Where as I believe that everyone needs to be able to protect themselves and their loved ones I have seen more times where a concealed carry person has the gun taken from them and used against them. Most concealed carry owners just don't practice enough to be good with the gun they carry. I believe that all persons have the right to own guns but there is many owners that don't deserve them much like many people shouldn't have a license to drive a car.

Hate to break this to you but even the FBI statistics show that you're wrong.