Gennie

FIrearms  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a firearm?

• Yes, I do
    • No, I don't
    • Had some, they're gone
    • I've been thinking about getting one.

For home protecting nothing beats shotguns, unless your very skilled with firearms and want to do less damage to your house :P

The crazy thing is that I can buy any shotgun or rifle I want, on the spot, but have to wait 6 months (if not already member of a club) to buy a pistol of any caliber

Whats more dangerous, a magnum shotgun or a .22 pistol?

LOL, you're right. I had to wait over a year for clearance to get my revolver (a large Taurus judge 45 cal long colt). It's near impossible to hide this thing (kinda the point), but I was able to get a conceal carry for it in two months.

Now my 308 high powered sniper rifle. Well that I was able to buy on the spot. I didn't even need to register it.

Coming from the military I was trained to automatically assume a firearms are loaded and if/when someone points it at me that must assume they intend to pull the trigger. If that happens I must not hesitate to try and kill them in my own self defense.

I seriously hope I never end up in a situation where a cop draws a pistol on me (for any reason). One or both of us will not walk away from that.

Treat all firearms as if they are loaded. And don't hand a firearm to anyone else who does anything else, even if you remove all the ammunition from it yourself. No excuses, no exceptions, no whining, and no stupidity allowed- ever!

The few on the list of those I trust in handing a loaded firearm to them know that rule and live by it just as I do. I don't like being around any other kind of people when I'm shooting, though at public shooting ranges I don't have much choice <_< If I observe any safety issues there, I simply pack up quickly and leave, getting out of range as fast as I can.

Bettypooh Wheelgunner

Oh no, I recommend you actually confront the individual/individuals that are making the safety violation as soon as you see it happen and tell them what they are doing wrong for the safety of everyone there. They may not like bring told, but you can be saving their life. Sure, you put your neck out a little being in the vicinity of these people, but safety should be the number one priority when it comes to anything like this, whether it is guns, chemicals, heavy machinery, etc.

I would agree (and I do in theory) but perhaps you're forgetting that I live in the heart of Redneck country where many gun owners IQ may not even reach halfway to the three-digit range :o With that kind it's best to just CYA and get out of range of them <_< At the private shooting ranges and when only friends are around I do take your recommended approach because I know that who I'm speaking with will probably understand and appreaciate the help being offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Now archery, that is a shooting sport I can get behind. Guns are just penis extensions for 90% of the people I know who have them. I can shoot, pretty good at it, grew up in a family who worshiped at the alter of gun ownership as a means of stopping the government from taking guns away, and I could've easily been that little girl who killed a range master. However, I was lucky in that I was to afraid of the uzi they handed me when I was 8 to fire it.

However, by high school, I earned Distinguish Expert in Rifle, and Pistol. My rifle of choice was an old M1 Garand, that I still have. I sold my pistol, it was a G26 subcompact. For a while I thought of it as a home defense weapon, but then I realized that if someone broke into my house to rape me, as all the pro-ownership people like to scare us girls with, by the time I got out of bed, opened my safe, loaded a magazine, and readied the weapon, I'd be dead or raped, and the bad guy would have a gun.

I realized the only effective way to keep a home defense gun was to be stupid, and keep it loaded, or next to a readied magazine... which is also unsafe storage. So I realized it was a safety blanket, and when I realized that, I decided I had no need of it.

The Garand I keep because it was ma grand pappies who came into ownership of it from the US Army during WWII. He "lost" it with his future wife in France. Left it for her to protect herself, and just used a German rifle until he got his replaced. When he married the French woman, and they moved back to the states, she brought the rifle with her, and it was handed down to my mother, and then me. My parents, by parents I mean father, want it back, but nope. My pappy told me my father could never touch it.

Anyways, I took up archery last year and I love it so much. It is a LOT more challenging then a gun. I qualified on iron sights, which is hard, but most other distinguished experts I know used scopes and other optics to get there. Once you know your rifle, know how to keep it steady, and are using optics, all skill is gone.

Archery, there are so many more variables to account for, and it is just such a more challenging activity. Plus I can build an archery range, and have, in my yard, and when I go to public ranges, far less morons in a pissing contest of who owns the more stupid amount of guns.

if you have kids around then yeah that isnt safe to keep loaded and ready, out of a safe, but i watched a news report once about a woman who had a loaded .22 by her bed and having it there saved her from being raped, because a son of a bitch was in her room when she got out of the shower, and forced her on the bed, not knowing where she kept it(in a drawer i think), she put all the bullets from that gun in him, and did society a favor, but if you dont have any kids its not something i would worry about, i keep one of my guns loaded, and an uncle of mine does too, its just put out of the way.

In my house, the defensive guns are kept loaded and ready :ph34r: I do not allow anyone in here who is not safe around guns. And when any children will be present the guns get locked away, sharp knives and other dangerous things properly stored out of reach, and the place made kid-safe for the duration of their visit B) Not easy to do for most folks though it is for me since I'm single with few visitors.

My revolver I keep by my bed is always loaded and ready to go, however I also keep it in a small gun safe with a quick and easy button combo. A small compromise for at least some gun safety.

My rifles and pistols are always loaded. What good is a weapon thats not. No one but my wife touchs them unless I am showing a friend or helping someone break one down and showing them how to clean it after the range.

I have nothing against guns, except that I almost suicided with one, and when I get upset, I don't think rationally. So, I decided that for my own safety and the safety of others to not own a gun. I realize this makes me a potential victim, but I weighed that risk against the risk of me doing something stupid with a gun, and decided it was a lower risk to stay unarmed.

I have nothing against guns, except that I almost suicided with one, and when I get upset, I don't think rationally. So, I decided that for my own safety and the safety of others to not own a gun. I realize this makes me a potential victim, but I weighed that risk against the risk of me doing something stupid with a gun, and decided it was a lower risk to stay unarmed.

And which makes you a responsible gun owner in my opinion (even thou you dont own) and its decision like yours is why I support those that don't want to own.

Here's a true story:

A buddy of mine, former navy, stopped an intruder without a gun. You may have seen I prefer swords and bows, my buddy actually had a ninja-to in his closet. One night he was sitting at his computer when he heard the sliding door open. As he was alone in the condo (he lived with his mom, who was at work) he knew someone was breaking in. He quietly grabbed the ninja-to from the closet quietly entered the hall and leapt at the would-be burglar. Luckily the burglar only had a knife and after swing someone leap out at him with a sword, surrendered on th spot. See, don't need a gun, though I admit, my buddy was lucky the guy didn't have a gun, but a fun story.

Here's a true story:

A buddy of mine, former navy, stopped an intruder without a gun. You may have seen I prefer swords and bows, my buddy actually had a ninja-to in his closet. One night he was sitting at his computer when he heard the sliding door open. As he was alone in the condo (he lived with his mom, who was at work) he knew someone was breaking in. He quietly grabbed the ninja-to from the closet quietly entered the hall and leapt at the would-be burglar. Luckily the burglar only had a knife and after swing someone leap out at him with a sword, surrendered on th spot. See, don't need a gun, though I admit, my buddy was lucky the guy didn't have a gun, but a fun story.

In most states the differnece between breaking in with a knife vs a gun is about 25 years years in prison. Just breaking in is 7 years or so.. with a gun and someone possibly home its home invasion which is as serious as attempted murder. Its about 25 years. Thus why a lot of criminals dont bring weapons. Same goes for robbery. I learned all about this in college while I was training to be batman but decided computer science would be a better field.

Here's a true story:

A wise man never brings a knife to a gun fight. Your friend was lucky the burglar wasn't armed or it could have gone much differently.

• 1 month later...

I Went out to the range yesterday with a friend. I didn't shoot much since I went crazy a couple weeks ago. 65 rounds of 50 BMG isn't cheap. lol I took it out again only because I got some bowling balls to shoot at.

My dad is big into shooting and like him I too took it up. I have a few for target shooting and one I keep for self defense. I'm also a BIG supporter of the NRA and the 2nd amendment.

Firearms ARE NOT dangerous in the hands of those know how to use them. Never be afraid of a gun in the hand of a law abiding citizen.

• Like 1