LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How many folks still use XP?

lilme`

look at a convertible. Flip it down so that the screen is facing up and you have a tablet

YouTube up Mobiletech and subscribe. Lisa knows how to put out the stats that matter

You can hook up a keyboard and mouse to a tablet, for the KB, you've got a choice Bluetooth or USB for the mouse it's USB

The difference between a desktop and a hyped-up tab is the difference between a Caddy and a Triumph TR-7 or the like. Both are good, just for different things

The tablet is the embodiment of science fiction stories where spacemen cared around a calculator, a "tablet and stylus" for writing and had vido communication aboard ship and a portable walki-talkie. the only thing different is that this is all one piece of equipment. AND I do not even need to write with it (although I would like digital pen capabillty for drawing) because you can record AND shoot photos/video. My own piece of the thirtieth century!. I can handle the Android Keyboard and some persons hande it like they were born to it

Hey I just realized, a tablet is an AIO
  • Haha 1

I don't use Windows as a primary OS anymore, but when I have to use it, I tend to stick with XP as much as possible now. I have one machine that runs 7 and another that runs XP, and I'd rather use XP whenever possible. I got the machine running 7 specifically so I could use a Windows-only tool for a Win/Mac game. Due to an obscure configuration, I couldn't run Windows on the one Mac that was capable of running the game. (Apple had one part that they never wrote Windows drivers for, so boot camp was out.) Besides, I didn't want to clog up my Mac with Windows just for one program anyway, and if my XP machine had slightly higher specs I would have just used that. My normal OS is some variation of Mac OS X. I'm running 10.5 on this machine, I've got 10.6 on another, although I'm going to eventually dual-boot 10.9 on it as well, (can't stand to lose Rosetta,) and I've got 10.8 on a laptop, although I'm dumping that for 10.9 the day it comes out.

look at a convertible. Flip it down so that the screen is facing up and you have a tablet

YouTube up Mobiletech and subscribe. Lisa knows how to put out the stats that matter

You can hook up a keyboard and mouse to a tablet, for the KB, you've got a choice Bluetooth or USB for the mouse it's USB

The difference between a desktop and a hyped-up tab is the difference between a Caddy and a Triumph TR-7 or the like. Both are good, just for different things

Try Bluestacks Android for Windows: Works on a desktop.. The interface looks like an Android UI and you have a library for apps

Also, everyone doing Windows is gravitation to the Haswell, which is just the Ivy Bridge with extended batter charge life capabilities

Mobiletch Review

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/

I subscribe to their YouTube page

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

When I first read the title,  I thought ya’all were talking about using services from XP Medical. Yeah, I use XP Medical. They are very responsive and helpful. I don’t do windoze much. Didn’t Windoze XP kinda suck?

Since this is 2019 not 2013, these days most of our computers are new and run Win 10. However, the one my loving husband used for writing runs Vista because that is good enough and he really knows how to get the most from an OS which was never popular.

I am in the process of selecting a new computer as this one is 6+ y/o. I am looking at two HP ENVY aio's (they work better with touchscreens) Here are the sets of relevant secifications between which I am debating

Intel 9th Generation i7 6cores 2.4 to 4 GHz
16GB Ram 1 tb 7200 rpm HDD 256 GB SSD

Intel 9th Generation i7 6cores 2.4 to 4.6 GHz
16GB Ram 2 tb 5400 rpm HDD HP Intel Optane 16 GB

I plan to do graphix and video work with it, which is why the 4.6 is so tempting

Since the touchscreens do not support an active pen. I am debating between two Waccom Cintiq "pen display graphics tablets" the 16 bridge with 72%  Adobe RGB and virtual control buttons and the 13 Pro wigh 90% Adobe RGB color gamut and hardware control buttons, and a price difference of $150

Not at home (although I might have to if I can't get W7 to work well on my Legacy games AM2 platform PC I've recently put together from parts I had lying around), but at work we have a few computers that have to run old OS because of the legacy software we need to run on them isn't supported on newer OS, so they're still running Windows XP. Or Windows 95 in some cases... 

• Like 1

Why not use W7's Virtual Machine as an XP?

These machines are offline, only connected to an isolated network with the other hardware they control, so using XP (or 95) isn't a security risk. 

There's no reason to make it more complicated by running a VM, it works just fine as it is, so why would you extend your budget to fix something that isn't broken. 

Plus, these computers need to be absolutely reliable, or else we're not broadcasting. So a simple XP Pro, only the necessary programs and absolutely no bloatware is how it's ensured that they run 24/7/365.25 with no issues whatsoever. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Little Christine said:

I am in the process of selecting a new computer as this one is 6+ y/o. I am looking at two HP ENVY aio's (they work better with touchscreens) Here are the sets of relevant secifications between which I am debating

Intel 9th Generation i7 6cores 2.4 to 4 GHz
16GB Ram 1 tb 7200 rpm HDD 256 GB SSD

Intel 9th Generation i7 6cores 2.4 to 4.6 GHz
16GB Ram 2 tb 5400 rpm HDD HP Intel Optane 16 GB

I plan to do graphix and video work with it, which is why the 4.6 is so tempting

Hi Christine, go for the first one. Having such a small ssd (16gb is lame) won't do you any good and the slower HDD is bad too. If you can, find an AIO with a 2tb SSD and no HDD. The overall performance will be much higher. 

7 hours ago, WetDad said:

Hi Christine, go for the first one. Having such a small ssd (16gb is lame) won't do you any good and the slower HDD is bad too. If you can, find an AIO with a 2tb SSD and no HDD. The overall performance will be much higher. 

The 4.6 GHz processor is the key attraction here for running complex graphics and video prograrms like Blender and handbrake. Granted, the SSD cache is small but Optaine is supposed to be ultrafast, approaching the speed of RAM and is supposed to be able to learn through repeated use. Linus is quite impressed with it. Both machines sell for the same price; $1599. Since it has 2 m.2 slots, I wonder if I can stick a 256 GB SSD in one and a backup disk in the other. Niether have an optical drive,just a card reader,

9 hours ago, Little Christine said:

The 4.6 GHz processor is the key attraction here for running complex graphics and video prograrms like Blender and handbrake. Granted, the SSD cache is small but Optaine is supposed to be ultrafast, approaching the speed of RAM and is supposed to be able to learn through repeated use. Linus is quite impressed with it. Both machines sell for the same price; $1599. Since it has 2 m.2 slots, I wonder if I can stick a 256 GB SSD in one and a backup disk in the other. Niether have an optical drive,just a card reader,

Optane is not as spiffy as its marketing insists. It's small size coupled with a slower (5400RPM) HDD makes it far slower in sustained file transfers. That will slow your video editing more than the slightly slower CPU speed. I have written file system caches for Windows & Linux, and I have been influential in many SSD designs over the last decade. (still am, BTW) Your video editing SW is bound more by IO bandwidth than anything else once you have 4 cores & 16BG of DRAM. BTW, you want an NVMe SSD- SATA is too slow. Dell has a 24" Inspiron for $1199 that will leave leave you enough moola to buy a really good 2TB SSD. Money ahead in my book.

How about getting the one with the Optane and putting a 128 or 256 GB SSD in one of the m.2 expansion slots? that .6 adds 3o7.5% to the speed. That is AWFULLY tempting and if I can run the executables from an SSD; well. I have see "m.2, pcie, NVMe" on ebay. And they both have their own grapnhics cards Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 4 GB GRAM

13 hours ago, Little Christine said:

How about getting the one with the Optane and putting a 128 or 256 GB SSD in one of the m.2 expansion slots? that .6 adds 3o7.5% to the speed. That is AWFULLY tempting and if I can run the executables from an SSD; well. I have see "m.2, pcie, NVMe" on ebay. And they both have their own grapnhics cards Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 4 GB GRAM

I'm not a fan of the Optane, simply because of the software being used for caching- I don't trust it. You are better off going to 100% SSD. Your right about the graphics accelerator- that will help alot. Have fun building your new system!

On 1/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, Little Christine said:

If it's the graphics you're worried about, you should look at the quality of the video/graphics card.  That provides the processing power for just graphics, whereas the CPU is for everything else.

I bit the bullet and either upgraded everything to Windows 10 or switched to some LINUX variant.    The one holdout is a laptop that I use for little more than a web browser in one of the equipment racks when working on network issues.

The nice thing about XP  was Audio Shell which was a shell extension that could be used to make ID3 labels. MP3tag works fine for that although it is a bit more comploicated to use. A version of Ulead's aniGif generated got into the freeware category which I have not seen umgreaded to Win7, 8, 8.1 or 10 but unFREze will do that for you and The web photo allbum generator that was usuable with XP was not upgraded to beyond XP But you can use iweb album or Web Album Generator All of these things are available in  the RUFFLES & RIBBONS GIRLS' HOME creative arts package FairyWand Unfortunately, we cannot live up to the "scratch build..." claim as PageBreeze (a very good combined html/WYSIWIG editor I used to love) freeware version., like DVDVideosoft and Freemake have gone dirty and are bundled with crapware. I am searching for a decent replacement that does both forms of page editing and can skip between them on the same page building session. I would love to get my greedy little mudhooks on the page editor that DD uses since it goes both ways at will