LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic Panties Tight Or Loose?

So I was digging through my closet looking for some plastic panties, and I found some snap on ones that I hadn't worn in a long time. I put them on over my thick cloth diaper and just barely got them on! I normally like them to fit loose, but these clearly define my diapers shape. It looks so cool!

IMO, loose plastic pants don't do anything to keep wetness contained - no matter what diaper type you use. From my limited experience with plastic pants, snug is best...not too tight & not loose, either.

Either way really. I know what you mean about the 'look' of the snug fit over a bulky diaper, for some reason it just 'looks' awesome :thumbsup: The idea for loose fitting (ballooning) plastic pants if for air circulation, to help avoid rashes and such, but they also catch 'over flow' if the (cloth) diaper becomes saturated (or full) and things start pooling in the crotch area.....indicating a change is needed.

The snug fitting ones are good just for containment and 'compression' to keep the diaper up and close to the body and avoid the (inevitable) sagging, but I think that the snug fitting pants would be more subject to leaks....and lack of air circulation etc...but thats just me :blush:

I have seen them both ways, and depending on the diaper either one 'looks' great..and very comfy! :D

Generally I wear large pants over a medium diaper, because thats the way I am built, the larges fit over my legs better, and over bulky diapers, so thats what I am stuck with, as medium pants don't fit me :blush:

Loose! I come from the cloth diaper era. I remember reading approximately the following on some forum ages ago;

" If you look at any baby in a cloth diaper, the plastic pant always billows out. There is a reason for that. first tight fit tends to make the leg bands pull away slightly from your leg as you move allowing a leak. Second, With a billowing pant, one pulls the leg bands into the leg crease so that if there is liquid against the pant, it is contained until the diaper can absorb it. Otherwise liquid flows directly to the interface between leg and pant--ready to leak if even the smallest gap develops."

He went on to say that one should tuck the plastic back under the diaper at both the legs and waist. I tried that advice and found the plastic pants were much less likely to leak configured that way. His final observation was that babies always have balooning plastic pants, so that is the real authentic look to emulate.

Great advice!

• Like 1

When wearing my disposable diapers I prefer a somewhat loose pantie, leaving room for my diaper to swell when wet. with cloth a snug fit is best

If you use a soaker layer with a cloth diaper, then loose or tight will work because after all, the diaper is supposed to hold the moisture and the pants are supposed to protect anything "outside." I like my plastic pants on the loose side, by the way; otherwise sometimes the leg openings might leak if they are up against the diaper. When I was a baby, (a real one, that is) rubber pants were always worn loose--the waistband and leg bands were the only things that were tight.

Gotta be snug enough to hold my nappy close to my groin.

Tight in the front but baby like puffy at the back :)

Snugness of the diaper is controlled by how you fold it and pin it and not necessarily by the protective plastic pants worn over a diaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like the "real thing [babyish/little]". More loose than tight. Loose leaves room for air and just like when I was let to be a little girl and that was done with little girls' who could not hold it comfortably for two hours (note, I said "comfortably") if there were two or nmore of them in one palce for an afternoon in the late 1940's early 1950's

Diapers and rubber panties were generally loose-fitting below the hip or waist to keep the wet material away from the body and allow air to circulate between the body and wet material and rubber panties were cut quite full to accommodate this. Also for "little"'s diapers were homemade and of many different designs. Also it was not uncommon to be put in two pair of rubber panties; if one leaked the other contained it, and I have had it happen where the outside of the innermost panty was wet. What I have now is a version of what was put on me then, only larger, also what I have now cost only about $8 for the heavy version and $6 for the light. It is in my reviews along with the explanations of why and how

• Like 1

Best solution: if you are handy and have a sewing machine, you can make your own waterproof pants out of PUL (polyurethane laminate) fabric. You need to draft a good pattern that fits YOU. That's the nice thing about making your own--you can customize the fit. Experiment with a pattern using cheap cloth or old bed sheets trimming them until they fit just the way you want them to. You can control how high they come on your waist as well as how tight they are in front and/or back--same with the size of the leg openings. It might take a few trial patterns to get them exact, but once you do, you can make as many pair of waterproof pants as you want. And PUL comes in lots of colors and patterns. For me, a 60" wide by 1 yard long sheet makes two pair of waterproof pants. I use either 1/4" or 3/8" elastic in the leg openings. For the waistband, you can use 3/8" or 1/2" elastic...or whatever thickness of elastic suits you. I know it takes some work, but the results are really worth the effort and you'll be getting exactly what you want.

Diapers and rubber panties were generally loose-fitting below the hip or waist to keep the wet material away from the body and allow air to circulate between the body and wet material and rubber panties were cut quite full to accommodate this. Also for "little"'s diapers were homemade and of many different designs.

I think Christine hit on it right there--this is why it has to be loose plastic pants for me. Yes, a tighter fit will hold the diaper closer to the body, but air will not circulate as efficiently, making one prone to rashes. A looser fit also allows me a certain freedom of movement--I'm quite the active little girl.