LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Adult Baby Diapers
DLHOOPZ

Firefighters, Emt, Medic And Pollice

26 posts in this topic

So I saw we had a post for military but why not for those who protect our communities and homes?   

Feel free to post stories of what you do and how long you've been at it!  Oh and try to keep the rivalry's between career and volunteer and fire and police to a respectable level lol(I didnt forget about the love hate relationship between fire and ems either lol)

Myself ive been a volunteer firefighter for the past four years and I love it!  I have recently begun to take swift water rescue classes as well! 

1 person likes this

As a burn survivor i'm close friends with lots of Chicago area firefighters.  I've been attending Burn camp in Ingleside, IL since 1992.  It's now called Camp I AM ME.  I was a camper from age 12-16.  And i've been a counselor since 2001.  It's an integral part of my life and i love everyone up there like family.

1 person likes this

I have been an EMT for 9ish years and a fire fighter for 6 years. Just last year I was able to get up into the paramedic field of it and have saved alot of lives!!!

2 people like this

I am a police officer, have been for over 25 years. I have been a patrol officer, a detective, crime scene investigator and worked many different types of crimes. I have worked with fireman doing arson investigations, EMT's at accidents and assaults and have great respect for what the bring to the table in the protection of those around us. Thank you to all our public safety persons. On a side note, anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

2 people like this

I'm a medic in Dallas :D

2 people like this

I was a volunteer fire fighter and paramedic.   My grandfather was a career district chief.

Remember there are four things you have to have to have a fire:

1.   Fuel

2.   Heat

3.   Oxygen

4.   Battalion Chief

Take away any one and you can't have a fire.

2 people like this

I was a volunteer firefighter for 30 yrs, as well as a first responder, and also an E.M.T. for 10 of those years

1 person likes this

Volunteer FF about 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh Pa, for about 4 years now. Love every minute of it.

1 person likes this

Volunteer EMT and paid dispatcher in NYC, looking to move into law enforcement soon. It makes me feel better knowing that there are others in public safety that share this desire, I usually have a hard time reconciling ABDL with this hard charging adrenaline junkie stuff

Volunteer EMT and paid dispatcher in NYC, looking to move into law enforcement soon. It makes me feel better knowing that there are others in public safety that share this desire, I usually have a hard time reconciling ABDL with this hard charging adrenaline junkie stuff

I am the same way.  But the way I see it with having to take charge all the time and face IDLH every day, this seems like the best way to settle down.

1 person likes this

Spent many years as a firefighter and paramedic in Baltimore County, MD.     Moved to another state where EMS was in the dark ages and getting into a FD was difficult so I let all my certifications drop.

1 person likes this

Volly myself

CHAOS - Chief Has Arrived On Scene

Proud to be an Engine Monkey, how many fires have gone out by cutting the roof...dang truckies...

1 person likes this

EMT Basic on Civilian side and a Combat Medic on the Military side. Im currently working with paramedic classes and looking forward to the Volunteer work at my Fire Department when I get word back from them.

1 person likes this

ex vol firefighter/EMT 30+years

also mine rescue, heavy rescue. high angle rescue,

Was a firefighter for 12 years.confined space rescue Swiftwater rescue and hazmat team. When I broke my back 7years ago had to give it all up.

I'm not either of those, but I respect the work they all do and if my family did not have a company I might/would have joined the Navy or the firefighters

1 year in the Navy was the best year of my life and I love blue/red lights and sirens

I'm military. The wife said I can only risk my life ago much at a time. After the military I can be a volunteer firefighter.

I guess the volunteering as EMT's / Firefighters / whatever is an American thing? Probably due to historical and geographical reasons - i.e. as you have small towns in rural places and so on.

In the UK you can't really volunteer for these kinds of jobs. The closest things we have are the PCSOs, which is basically a training track for people who want to become full time police officers. They handle the more mundane policing stuff such as moving on buskers who are being a nuisance, helping people who are lost, confiscating alcohol from those under 18 etc. and free up the main police force to deal with the more unpleasant stuff and investigative work. It works well because they have the full backing and support of the main police (i.e. they use the same facilities, are on the same radio networks etc.) but they don't have enough powers to attract the thugs and power-abusers who have been forced out of being bouncers and doormen since that profession has dramatically cleaned up its act.

You can volunteer to do things like help out at homeless shelters, staff helplines and do things like tourist support or event management (directing and helping people etc.) but not for things such as Firefighting or medical work. Possibly mountain/cave rescue (which are rarely required and the most skilled people are probably climbing instructors etc.) are volunteer services and maybe some maritime/coast-guard rescue work - but I think even our coast-guard is now mostly full time staff.

When it comes to EMTs/firemen etc. here. they've all been professionalised so much here that they don't want anyone who doesn't do that as main job 'getting in the way'. They want to know everyone there has been through the same training on all the complex equipment they might bring in, knows all the lingo, etc. etc.

As an example, I've offered to help out filling and/or laying down sandbags when visiting a friend whose town was getting flooded, but the Environment Agency bloke who turned up to manage / coordinate the fire-service (and marines who had been drafted in to help on the manual labour) basically said "thanks for the offer, but volunteers are not helpful". They simply don't want the distraction (and/or don't have the processes or infrastructure) to support managing a team of volunteers. Organising more people with a known set of skills and equipment is something they know how to do very well though.

Some of my extended family work as paramedics and, to be fair, its not something you can't do part-time. They have to train with new kit, intimately know all the roads of their area, liaise and work with the other services and understand the plans and incident response processes ... all alongside the day job of helping people with broken legs, peanut allergies, heart attacks and so on. Not to mention dealing with all the paperwork that comes with a public sector job.  I guess the same is true of fire-fighters.

I'm joining Norwegian "Red Cross", starting on Wednesday, where I will learn first aid and all kind of stuff

Red Cross is "huge" here, they are medic guards at concerts and other public stuff, helping the real medics

When someone get lost in the forest or is taken by an avalanche, Red Cross get called

In short, anywhere where there is people, Red cross is not far away

Its volunteer work, so not paid, but I get something to do and free entrance to many concerts etc.

Full time paid firefighter/paramedic. Been doing it for a little over 6 years now.

Volunteer firefighter/AEMT for 16 years

Career firefighter/lieutenant/AEMT for almost 13 years

I guess the volunteering as EMT's / Firefighters / whatever is an American thing? Probably due to historical and geographical reasons - i.e. as you have small towns in rural places and so on.

In the UK you can't really volunteer for these kinds of jobs. The closest things we have are the PCSOs, which is basically a training track for people who want to become full time police officers. They handle the more mundane policing stuff such as moving on buskers who are being a nuisance, helping people who are lost, confiscating alcohol from those under 18 etc. and free up the main police force to deal with the more unpleasant stuff and investigative work. It works well because they have the full backing and support of the main police (i.e. they use the same facilities, are on the same radio networks etc.) but they don't have enough powers to attract the thugs and power-abusers who have been forced out of being bouncers and doormen since that profession has dramatically cleaned up its act.

You can volunteer to do things like help out at homeless shelters, staff helplines and do things like tourist support or event management (directing and helping people etc.) but not for things such as Firefighting or medical work. Possibly mountain/cave rescue (which are rarely required and the most skilled people are probably climbing instructors etc.) are volunteer services and maybe some maritime/coast-guard rescue work - but I think even our coast-guard is now mostly full time staff.

When it comes to EMTs/firemen etc. here. they've all been professionalised so much here that they don't want anyone who doesn't do that as main job 'getting in the way'. They want to know everyone there has been through the same training on all the complex equipment they might bring in, knows all the lingo, etc. etc.

As an example, I've offered to help out filling and/or laying down sandbags when visiting a friend whose town was getting flooded, but the Environment Agency bloke who turned up to manage / coordinate the fire-service (and marines who had been drafted in to help on the manual labour) basically said "thanks for the offer, but volunteers are not helpful". They simply don't want the distraction (and/or don't have the processes or infrastructure) to support managing a team of volunteers. Organising more people with a known set of skills and equipment is something they know how to do very well though.

Some of my extended family work as paramedics and, to be fair, its not something you can't do part-time. They have to train with new kit, intimately know all the roads of their area, liaise and work with the other services and understand the plans and incident response processes ... all alongside the day job of helping people with broken legs, peanut allergies, heart attacks and so on. Not to mention dealing with all the paperwork that comes with a public sector job.  I guess the same is true of fire-fighters.

Yeah, that actually does sound a little like our EMT's and Fire Fighters in the US. Yes they are volunteer, but they go through a LOT of training and have to make the cut as well as be accepted into the local establishment (usually as newbies or recruits at first too). At some point this transitions into an actual full time paid job though. It's what they do like any other full time paid professional.

Just found this thread, i dont know if i qualify, while i served in the royal airforce i volunteered for royal airforce mountain rescue duties and did it for four years. Originally created during world war two to rescue downed aircraft crews on both sides from the moutainous areas of the united ki gdom. While this remains the primary role of the teams most often we are called out for civilians lost or injured on the mountains.

As part of my duties i was trained at ambulance technician level of first aid. This enabled me to be a first aider in every job since.

Oh yeah when my older brother left the service, he became a firefighter and is now a watch officer

P.s. there is two chaps at my current work site who are volunteer emergency first responders, they have estate cars with blues and twos and all the kit. They get called out if the ambulance services doesnt think it can get an ambulance there in time.

By day they carry out their normal jobs.

And our local towns fire station is manned by retained fire fighters, again by day they are whatever their career is.

Finally our coast is surrounded by volunteer lifeboat crews who go out inthe worst of weather. Brave tallented folk one and all

Edited by LilFozzyJ5

CHAOS - Chief Has Arrived On Scene

Four things you have to have to have a fire:
1.   Heat
2.   Oxygen
3.   Fuel
4.   Batallion Chief

(take away any one and you can't have a fire).

Life the fire itself, Chiefs consume oxygen and generate heat.