LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Advice On Deadbeat Landlord

Hey guys anyone have any advice on how to deal with a landlord that won't do anything to fix my house. The house is falling apart, it was supposed to get new siding and a roof when he supposively turned it in on insurance two years ago but now the house needs work on the drain for the washer we just bought. I so want to kick his ass and shove my size 10 shoe up his ass because I am so frustrated at this point that if he shows up here he is going to receive hell. I just thought I would share and ask for advice on how to deal with this problem

The worst thing you can do is leave. then he has to fix the place up in order to rent it again, and if he doesn't then that tenant will leave. Generally property owners dislike quick turnovers in tenants, and do what they need to to keep tenants happy and paying rent, it's just good business. Bad landlords though make life miserable for everyone. if you have paid your rent on time all the time and generally been an upstanding tenant, then loosing yo would do the most harm. The other thing though is, renting is really a 2 way street. Tenants can (and do) have a lot of lee way in doing repairs and other stuff, after all it is your home :) So check with the owner and maybe work something out that if you do repairs and general maintenance etc, he can comp you on the rent etc. Or just do it and don't worry about it. One of the guys I work with is a renter and takes very good care of the house he is in. he does all the gardening and plants his own sttuff, does a lot of maintenance work and the owner of the property is VERY happy with him as a tenant...but this is how they worked things out. If you work with the owner, and he comps yoru rent fro repairs and you are honest with him, and provide receipts etc, it "looks like' he's saving money by not having to spen out of his pocket, but in effect he's not, because it cuts into his income instead...it works both ways. SO try working with him and if he's entrenched into being an ass about things, start looking for another place to live, because nothing will happen. Loosing a paying tenant is the worst thing landlords hate to have to deal with, because of all the work and time involved in finding a new and hopefully 'good' tenenat. Good luck!

You need to speak with someone where you live- the laws on rental/tennancy are all over the map :screwy: Generally, what you do in cases like this is get an attorney to file a claim, they will then put your rent money into an escrow account until adequate repairs are done to make the place legally habitable. The landlord gets only a bank statement showing that the money has been paid until then, and they cannot evict you over non-payment during the process. Should the lease expire before the matter is settled, you can move out and take your money with you after a given time. The downside is that the landlord can refuse to do the repairs and have the house condemned, in which case the utilities will be cut of immediately and you will have to move out, usually within 48 hours.

I'd check your county to see if there are Codes that the house needs to abide by in order to be lived in. I know here, if there are codes that are broken, the owner generally has to fix it up and/or pay a pretty hefty fine. Might be the extra push your landlord needs!

I used to work serving papers on landlords for many different reasons. Every county has different laws/rules to go by. Betty is on target about putting rent into an escrow during complaint but some places don't allow that either. You need to check with the county and an attorney to see where you stand.

Here in SC, the laws are on the renter's side, but only if know them and you use them correctly :whistling: What sucks is that most attorneys here don't know these laws well and they give bad advice because of that :bash: If you go about it the right way, you can live rent-free for as much as 9 months here- I was working for a landlord at the time and watched someone do that to them :o Most of the standard rental contracts used here are neither legal or binding; again you have to know how to prove that in court or you will lose. Most people here do not believe that a renter has any recourse with a bad landlord save to move out, when you actually do have good legal protections because this is a long-held wives tale that has permeated the culture here for so long :(

Ok heres the story so you can understand what happened. I had just started my laundry when out of nowhere my deadbeat landlord shows up with a nasty attitude and starts yelling at me. By that time my staff stepped in and he started yelling at her. Now you can yell at me and be disrespectful but yell at my staff and your going to get hurt. I hate him so much right now I just thought I would let you guys know.