LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Incontinence And The Beach

I'm one of those who was abdl before I became incontinent. I had a TURP done a little over a year ago and since then I am not able to rely on getting to a bathroom in time. Now whenever I'm out I feel I must be diapered.

So far, I've just avoided the beach entirely. Even in the past ,when I did go to the beach I'd seldom get into the water much. I might or might not be able to save myself, but I'm not really a swimmer.

I'm curious as to how others accommodate being at the beach, being able to go in the water some if you'd like, and not risk wetting a dry bathing suit on the beach.

I don't want to have to run into the water every time I feel an urge approaching - even IF I'm close enough to the water at the time. Most beaches have restrooms far from the beach and I could never make them in time either.

Thanks. All ideas welcome (even if you get a little silly with them...). :giljotiini:

I have enough control to make it between changing and the pool, and that is exactly what I did at a friend's pool party last summer B) I wore underwear and shorts there which helped isolate the continuing wetness from the outside but I couldn't stray from the water too long.

If you need a bit of help to make it that far a small cloth pad should get you there safely. Once you get in the water, your problem goes away provided you don't let your swimsuit dry out by staying out too long. Another option for males is a 'Cunningham clamp' which you can release discretely while in deep enough water (ocean, not clear water in a pool). It can be replaced and left safely for however long it takes for your bladder to fill just before you get out, again done discretely while in the water. Comfort and storing it inside your swimsuit may be a problem, but some swimsuits have a small pocket inside that will work or you can loosen it and leave it in position. Comfort you have to handle on your own. In case you didn't know, swim diapers are not for bladder issues, they are to contain BM's and that's about all they have to offer- they will hold no more urine than the pad I mentioned. As with anything you plan to use in public, be sure you learn how well it works by using it in private before you go out so that you don't tun into any unwelcome surprises :o

You don't have to give up water-related activities just because you have leakage issues, you just have to deal with the situation a bit differently than most people do

Bettypooh

Thanks for the responses so far. Bettypooh, as usual your response is thorough and very supportive. Thanks for the info on the Cunningham clamp. Will that fit well within swimming trunks? I'd be a little concerned that it would be somewhat noticeable.

Yes, I've seen any number of sources explain that NO swim diaper can handle urine. I did, however, find this both in an internet search and on Ebay at about the same price around $20. Have any of you had any experience with these?

"Appropriate for swimmers with urinary and/or fecal incontinence. Worn alone or under bathing suit, the Theraquatics Swim Diaper is an essential accessory for access to public pools. Regular diapers are not required when wearing these reusable swim diapers.

Made from an absorbent terry lining with a snug, watertight poly outer shell. Theraquatics Swim Diapers have an elasticized leg and waist. The full-seated style of the Theraquatics Swim Diaper offers discrete and secure protection against heavier urinary and bowel leakages. The swimming diaper must sit firmly i.e. no gaps, around waist and top of leg to be effective. It is easy to make slight adjustments on the pant with a sewing machine. Washable and reusable. Chlorine resistant. Pants come in various sizes determined by waist measurement. Available in white color only."

dlsmd, what type of disposable and what brand swim diaper do you use? How does that disposable hold up in water?

I'm having thoughts also about maybe using a cloth baby diaper inside a swim diaper, which would hold some urine if out of the water and maybe at least blunt the affect of wetting after having been in the water.

I'm probably just trying to invent a good solution for something that just doesn't have one. As Bettypooh says, we shouldn't have to give up activities because of leakage, but we also want to be fairly certain we aren't going to embarrass ourselves.

Try this web site. http://www.discoverytrekking.com/incontinence-swim-diapers

This swim diaper has a waterproof exterior. The interior has some absorbency, but is mostly intended to get you to the water without having a flood of urine running down your legs.

I've tried them and they do work. You still have to make it a point to get in the water occasionally.

Craisler, thanks. This is something I've seen on the internet and have been considering. The makers of thiis diaper do, however, come right out and say it is NOT for urine and will not hold. Your personal experience helps overcome that description. I can see that no swim diaper is going to serve as well as any other normal diaper, but if I hope to find something that will either get me in the water or get me to a restroom.

I wonder how many people out there are just thinking, "Just get over it. Nothing is going to work well." I'm just looking for the best thing to work a little.

I'm really confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Betty has the best advise that makes perfect sense. Change into the swim trunks at the beach and get into the ocean. Now you're wet... as expected. If you're out of the water for long and your trunks start to dry, guess what? Go back in the water.

It isn't exactly rocket science.

Craisler, thanks. This is something I've seen on the internet and have been considering. The makers of thiis diaper do, however, come right out and say it is NOT for urine and will not hold. Your personal experience helps overcome that description. I can see that no swim diaper is going to serve as well as any other normal diaper, but if I hope to find something that will either get me in the water or get me to a restroom.

I wonder how many people out there are just thinking, "Just get over it. Nothing is going to work well." I'm just looking for the best thing to work a little.

it doesn't hold much. It's just enough protection to get you to the pool or water.

The clamp should hide in looser swimsuits but they're not exactly in style for younger people. Another option would be a plugged catheter but that has it's own set of issues. I don't know much about swim diapers but it seems to me that if any water were to enter the absorbency area you'd be even worse off, and I can't see that not happening. Really the simplest solution is the best one, then all your protection needs to do is get you to the water- after that you stay wet and nobody knows a thing.

Bettypooh

The problem with the Gabby's is that their outer covering is totally permeable. They do not contain fluids at all. They are strictly for bowel containment. The Discovery Trekking diapers do have a waterproof outer shell.

I'm really confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Betty has the best advise that makes perfect sense. Change into the swim trunks at the beach and get into the ocean. Now you're wet... as expected. If you're out of the water for long and your trunks start to dry, guess what? Go back in the water.

It isn't exactly rocket science.

I'm thinking of beaches at Cape Cod where you can't even park near them. You park your car a mile away and catch a shuttle bus. Then from the parking lot to even the edge of the beach may be another 5-10 minute walk. Sure, go immediately into the water. Maybe.

I can usually feel an urge coming, but I don't always have much time at all. I can think of times I've been on a beach up there with my family (b.i. - before incontinence) where the walk to the water from where we were situated might not even give me enough time.

"You don't have to give up water-related activities just because you have leakage issues, you just have to deal with the situation a bit differently than most people do" This is a nice sentiment, but I guess I'm just not sure the method of running to the water would help me in situations I might face. I suppose I could try the clamp. I may give shot at a swim diaper and try it at home before risking at the beach.

InD, it isn't rocket science - I either wet in front of people or I come up with a better system than what's been described so far.

Again, thanks to all who've tried to help.

I've run into similar situations. My solution was to wear a diaper doubler pad inside the swim diaper. That was adequate for the car ride and getting near the water. My plan was to take the pad out before getting in the water. However, I forgot and the pad kind of fell apart inside the swim diaper. However, the concept was sound. I just need a better memory.

When I was done swimming, I put a spare pad inside the diaper for the ride home.

With ingenuity, there is usually an acceptable solution to most problems.

• Like 1

VariousTrips049.jpg

At the beach in a diaper, can't see it. Eventually I took my shirt off, still no one noticed or said anything.

I say wear your protection and don't worry about it because people are too caught up in their own selves to concern themselves with you clothing.

• Like 1

Diapers will do you no good in the water

Yes it will hold your pee, before you enter the water

After the whole thing is wet, any person can see your wearing miles away when going up/out again and any pee will run down your legs..

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, how about wearing a thin cloth diaper with a thin pair of plastic pants over it, then your swimsuit? If you wet your diaper, the plastic pants will keep it from soaking though to your swimsuit. If you go in the water, the plastic pants will help some with keeping your diaper dryer, but you may get it wet or damp anyway if water gets in through the legs or waist of the plastic pants. The main thing is, if you are laying on the beach and your swim suit dries out, then you still have on a thin cloth diaper with plastic pants and if you wet, the diaper should hold up enough with the plastic pants over it that your swim suit won't get soaked from the pee. If you get up to go in the water, maybe the seat of your trunks might be wet from the diaper if it leaks a little, but people would think that is normal since the sun is hitting the front of your suit and not the back where your laying on it! That would also help from the car to the beach since you have quite a ways to go! You wet on the way, the diaper and plastic pants will contain it, and you worn't have to worry about a disposable diaper falling apart in the lake!

• 3 weeks later...

Rusty pins, I've tried this approach before and even bought a special swimsuit with elastic seals so you can still wear a diapers into the water. It doesn't work. Small leaks while submerged lead to massively wet diapers, and the seal prevents the water from leaking back out very much.

I've found the best approach for me is to use a pull up while at the beach. After swimming I make a quick change (under a beach towel if necessary). If I don't plan on getting back into the water then it's back into disposables instead. The best part- shorts are always optional at the beach!

I agree. You'd be better off just wearing a cloth diaper under the swimsuit. Even wet, it would still disguise when your bladder is emptying. There is just no practical way to create a seal between the plastic pants and your body in back right near the spine Water will leak in there. When you get out of the water, you'll be walking around in a water balloon until you let the water drain out through one of the leg openings.

• 1 month later...

I think the recommendation of getting and keeping you swim suit wet is the easiest and most straightforward. However, if the water is cold or you are at a pool then it may be uncomfortable to continuously go into the cold water, and I believe it wrong to continuously pee into a pool. As an alternative I recommend a Cunningham clamp. They are comfortable, very effective and very discrete. I have worn them in many situations, public and private pools.