LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

When Did You Stop Thinking Of Yourself As Young?

DailyDi

195 members have voted

1. 1. At what age did you stop being "young" and start being an adult?

• older

Actually it was at age six when my Father died of a massive heart attack. I was raised by a loving and wonderful Mother who raised the five of us on help from the family. Every time I was with relatives I was told to be a man or to grow up or told I was too old to wet the bed. I remember constantly being made an example of. Seems I was reprimanded for things I hadn't yet done. I began working at age fifteen and haven't stopped yet

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still young, but I have "old moments". These include:

- When I realize that a kid who is 18+ was born when I was school age (2013's 18 year olds will have been born the year I turned seven).

- Every one of my baby sister's birthdays since she somehow became older than 3 have been "old moments" for me. I am 10 1/2 years older than her.

- Each year when I realize my cousin's son had another birthday. I am 17 years & one day older than him.

- I know I will have an "old moment" when my baby sister 1. learns to drive & 2. graduates.

~ Cody, AKA moogle

Oh, old moment again, Moogle: Seniors that are going to be graduating in May/June of 2013 are younger than the Lion King. I remember going to see that movie... Like, actual memory, sitting in the theatre, spilling my popcorn and not caring because the movie was so amazing... One of the defining moments of my childhood and the people getting their high school diploma this school year weren't even born yet. Take THAT, dignity! Ha!

I am almost 45, my lifestyle isn't much different than I was 25. I was older between 28-35 than I am now. If that makes any sense. Most of my coworkers are younger than me, my last girlfriend was younger than me. I don't feel nearly as old as I am. No mortgage, no debt, no kids, and a full head of hair. I am going back to school in January. I just don't feel old at all. I do think being an ageplayer keeps me young in other parts of my life. My real mother still treats me like I am 12 despite the fact we live half a country apart, and only see each other occasionally. My boss talks to me like I am stupid and inexperienced. I might not be young anymore, but I certainly am not old.

Oh, old moment again, Moogle: Seniors that are going to be graduating in May/June of 2013 are younger than the Lion King. I remember going to see that movie... Like, actual memory, sitting in the theatre, spilling my popcorn and not caring because the movie was so amazing... One of the defining moments of my childhood and the people getting their high school diploma this school year weren't even born yet. Take THAT, dignity! Ha!

LOL, ugh. My first movie theater movie that I can recall was Aladdin (1992). That was TWENTY years ago!

~ Cody, AKA moogle

I remember being rushed out of Chuck E. Cheese because Aladdin was about to start, but I was easily in my late single digits by then.

I find it funny that this question comes up on a site full of people who WEAR DIAPERS FOR FUN! lol Many of us feel like we'd stay 2 or 3 if we got to keep a small selection of adult privileges.

I've often thought that part of the reason we tend to see a lot of young people who are twenteens is a distinct lack of definitive adulthood rituals. Sure, you could say 'when you get your license' or 'legal drinking age' but those are just things that happen. It's not like we 'modern' people go on a spirit quest or something like that where there's a definite line between childhood and adulthood. I think the closest thing is the Bar Mitzvah in Jewish culture, but even in that case most families don't truly treat their young teen as a man, though he is supposed to be. Some families hand down a prized heirloom, perhaps a watch or a gun, but it isn't as common as it used to be. Graduation can be, as can going to college, but since society still considers the young adult a minor, none of these really lend the sense that the child has EARNED adulthood. (Of course, in historical societies coming-of-age was more socially important, since a small fraction of children survived to adulthood.)

Another thing I've considered as part of this is the lack of reasons why we should BOTHER growing up. Sure... at 21 you 'get' to drink. Many do before that, and it isn't an awe inspiring moment for most. I do recall my father handing me a beer to try when I was a tween, I didn't like it but I knew it was important, I was getting something 'grown up'. Being an adult doesn't mean you come into your inheritance, receive a piece of land, get to speak among the 'elders' or anything like that for most people, these days. It just means you have to pay bills (if you didn't already), pay taxes, commute/work, and deal with your own problems. (Somewhat connected is that throughout much of history, another year was a BIG DEAL. Now, unless you're faced with a terminal illness, it just doesn't seem like the clock is winding down for most of us. A friend from the SCA who is about 45-50 pointed out that if he were to appear in his Norse styled armor in front of a group of Vikings, they'd probably imagine him to be a god or at least a great warrior. Even at an average height for today, he would have stood a head over any one of them, his stainless steel mail bright compared with their dull iron, a full head of iron gray hair, perfect teeth (even if they are plastic), standing and fully able to fight for such an 'old' man.)

Personally, I still feel like a teen, most of the time. I was feeling a bit bad about my 30th coming up... but I realized I'm turning 29! :D I worked full-time for ten years, and now am back in school to try to find something I can excel at and provide better for my family. About to get my General Radio Op License with Radar endorsement, which is actually kinda exciting. I think I'd feel a little more 'adult' if I felt like I could provide for children of my own. (Sadly, the wife is older than I and has had a couple miscarriages due to health issues, we may not be able to have our own.) I'd love to adopt, but I'd like one or two of my own, I'm the only male descendant of my paternal grandfather. (Which inexplicably matters to me. I've been lucky enough to get a set of very good genes except for my bad eyesight. :P)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 22 and I still don't feel like I've grown up. But even being 22, I look like a young teenager and it's very difficult for me to relate with a lot of other adults because when they look at me, they write me off because I look like a kid. I even look at other people that are my age and that I went to school with and somehow they look like they've grown up while I haven't. I own my own house and am in a decently paying career with lots of responsibilities and still feel like a kid. Sometimes I don't know if that will ever change.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really felt old yet except for the fact I have some health issues that I am currently dealing with; I am trying to get pregnant for which I am going to need medical intervention to conceive. The medical claims that will be coming in will list me as an advanced maternal age patient (i.e.Elderly multigravida-del.) even though I am not even 40 which is quite disturbing to me. On the other hand, I don't look my age yet, and I still get carted when I buy alcohol...that right there says something. To me...it gets annoying though( I know...weird huh? I guess I should enjoy while it lasts). I did however felt grown up when I turned 25 and could rent a luxury car if I wanted to.

16. I started work full time and i left home.

I never realy had much of a connection with my peer group, just never felt like i fitted in nor did i particularly want to.

I always prefered the company of older people.

Mal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably once I joined the Navy. College felt like an extension of high school with a lot more freedoms. I know when turned 21 and could officially buy alcohol I felt a sense of growing older, but my jobs weren't anything I'd have wanted to turn into a career (Minus a contract stint with Sony BMG sorting and processing music.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I still struggle with feeling like I deserve to call myself an adult. However, this year.. turning 23, that finally felt different in a way I never felt with the other seemingly important milestones like 16 and 18. I didn't feel like I was in the group of crazy party kids anymore, I felt like I was in the age group of.. "well, time to start being an adult". So totally 23 for me was when I felt like I had entered the "adult" category.