LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Age Of Characters

Hey guys,

Just a small thing that I am getting rather annoyed with. I keep reading other people's stories and their main character will be twenty-five and their parents will be thirty-five.

Why? Why does this repeatedly happen in ab/dl stories. It throws off the entire story for me no matter how well written it is. Or, another issue is why do we need an age for their parents? Just let us know that they are the parents and leave us some clues for their age.

-Tabby

I have an issue with characters age of 15. I mean really why do writers have to do that, its really a put off. I haven't seen a story with a 25 year old character and 35 year old parents. First off that's sick because that means the parents had sex at 10 and it can't happen and second you're right at least make the child 17-18 at least and the parents at 40 the most.

Hey guys,

Just a small thing that I am getting rather annoyed with. I keep reading other people's stories and their main character will be twenty-five and their parents will be thirty-five.

Why? Why does this repeatedly happen in ab/dl stories. It throws off the entire story for me no matter how well written it is. Or, another issue is why do we need an age for their parents? Just let us know that they are the parents and leave us some clues for their age.

-Tabby

There is really no reason to give hard ages unless there is a specific scenario that requires it or it comes up in conversation with other characters.

Whoever wrote that story probably just didn't stop and think about what they were saying exactly I doubt that he/she was deliberately implying that the parents had sex at ten years old.

Personally I've never felt the need to give the exact age of any of my characters, I usually just say what stage of their life they're in (high school, collage, middle aged, retired etc.) and let the readers decide what a logical age is for them. Or even in some cases, whatever age makes them the most comfortable. That's one of the great things about the writer and reader relationship, and how creating a great story can be a collaborative effort. Any decision that the writer chooses not to make is left in the hands of the reader.

Please be careful to keep persons under the age of 18 totally clear of any sexual connection in the stories (or links) you post here. We are compelled by law to delete those kind of things ;)

One part of good writing is to keep the reader's mind active and interested :) By not stating ages if it's not relevant, you make them want to read more to find clues to satisfy their curiosity- thus keeping their interest going which is a good thing! Instead of actual ages you can use terms such as "young", "middle-aged", "older", "retired" and so forth to convey the idea without just stating the cold uninteresting numbers, or you can state one parent's age and indicate the others age in relation to that. Be creative and have fun!

Bettypooh

I feel like people who list ages are giving me their characters ASL information. I really don't care about that stuff at all. I care about feelings, physical descriptions of characters and scenarios, and conversations. I am in no way saying that my writing is perfect but I just wish some writers would put thought into things like this as well.

• Like 1

Every author has to decide for every work of fiction how much information to furnish the readers and when to do so.

My default approach is to run a risk of annoying some readers by providing exposition with the introduction of every character. In the field of diaper and discipline stories, to me it is vital that the reader jnow going in the age of any character under about 30 years of age. What I want to avoid is expecting the reader to guess ages based on clues such as grade/class in school. The problem is that not every person is 18 when graduating from high school and starting university in the USA.

So, if it is important for ethical/legal resons that a character be a legal adult, then I always make that clear. If I am writing about the infancy/childhood of a character up to age 5 I prefer to express age in months. Frankly I do not care that some folks, not involved professionally in childhood development, dislike reading that a child with delayed toilet training is 59 months instead of writing that "almost 5 years old" does not influence me unless I am being very well paid to write the story.

I write fiction for free which I enjoy using a somewhat "Standard" form of English that comes naturally to me. If a publisher wants me to write for a lower level of education, I know how to do so, but I refuse to do so for free. Like most authors my preferred word processing software has a function which can provide me its opinion of the grade-level readability. I only use that when being paid and when that is part of the contract.

I do not believe my function in DD is to tell other authors how to write. Unless I actually ask for opinions from strangers, I simply ignore such messages.

I have an issue with characters age of 15. I mean really why do writers have to do that, its really a put off. I haven't seen a story with a 25 year old character and 35 year old parents. First off that's sick because that means the parents had sex at 10 and it can't happen and second you're right at least make the child 17-18 at least and the parents at 40 the most.

As a former social worker, I have to tell you that if a girl starts puberty early, she can have a baby at a young age. I've seen on record that the youngest girl (United States) to have a baby was at age 8, and it was from incest. Social workers are exposed to many harsh realities. Maybe that's why I changed careers after being a counselor for over seven years. (My new career pays better and has a lot less stress, too).

This post, however, is correct with regard to proper age spacing of the characters involved in a story.

• 7 months later...

the only time age is importent to me is with the main character. if they are still livving at home, i would like to know if im reading about a minor or a young adult. if the auther makes it clear that the main character is an adult by stating he what his job is or that he has his own place, we dont n eed a spacific age on him. cuz the exact age really wouldnt hold any inportance in the plot.

theres usually no need for the ages of suppoting characters either unless say there introducing a sibling. are they older or maybe even old enough to be in a position of athority. or another example if the character is a minor and a baby sitter or naibor is introduced and theres sexual contact. the age tells us if this person is a petofile or not. in cirten circumstanses ages are helpful to make the story mor clear, but its not nessecary for every character in every story.

I know this is slightly off topic, but sometimes it is not clear whether the main character is male or female at the beginning. It can be confusing, as I am not likely to read a MM story. I am not a basher, just not for me.