LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Different Catheter Types

InD

With the fairly active recent thread on catheters I thought I'd ask for people's viewpoints on different types.

My everyday "go to" catheter is a 100% silicone 18FR catheter. It's very comfortable to use and can stay in for days. Lately I've been trying a 100% silicone catheter that is lined with silver to prevent infection. Maybe I'm part vampire, but these just burn when they are inside me. I have no idea why.

When I know I'm going to be cath'ed for only a few hours I use a silicone lined rubber catheter as it's much cheaper.

Largest catheter? 24FR I believe. I know I tried a 26 once, but could not get it in.

In the 'old days' didn't they suggest using a heated needle to make holes in latex bottle nipples? I'm wondering if something like that wouldn't be sufficient for a latex catheter (and self-sterilizing as well)

I'm imagining the silver coating can irritate for some people for some of the same reasons it has antibacterial properties. I'd imagine that body chemistry can cause weak electrical currents like those associated with dental fillings, at the very least.

• 11 months later...

I'm imagining the silver coating can irritate for some people for some of the same reasons it has antibacterial properties. I'd imagine that body chemistry can cause weak electrical currents like those associated with dental fillings, at the very least.

My guess (but it's only a guess) is that the silver coating together with the urine reacts to make silver nitrate, an antiseptic and caustic. While the effect is surely beneficial by killing bacteria, it will irritate the mucous membrane of the urethra.

My guess (but it's only a guess) is that the silver coating together with the urine reacts to make silver nitrate, an antiseptic and caustic. While the effect is surely beneficial by killing bacteria, it will irritate the mucous membrane of the urethra.

What are you mean whit that?

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

What are you mean whit that?

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

What I meant was that my guess (which is still only a guess) is that the urine together with the silver coating reacts to make silver nitrate, a caustic and antiseptic. It will irritate the mucous membrane of the urethra although the effect is surely beneficial by killing bacteria.

Rømpømpøm.

HTH

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I've had irritation from using silicone, latex and rubber catheters- Intermittent or Indwelling doesn't matter. I now think it's because they have a slight texture to them because I've recently been using a clear plastic type intermittent catheter. I don't get the same rubbing irritation I used to.