LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Using A He Washing Machine

Hi guys,

I've typically used disposables my entire life, but have been recently considering switching to cloth. The issue is that, being in New York, I only have access to the low water, high efficiency washing machines. I've read that many mothers say that using HE machines typically leaves urine residues in any washed diapers, so I'm reconsidering my switch.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. If it really doesn't work out, do you think it could be possible if I thoroughly rinsed any used diapers in the shower before hand? Also, would results differ between AIO's and the conventional cloth diaper? Any tips on general washing would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot for your help!

Front-loaders have a bum rap in America for some reason. Virtually everybody in the UK uses front-loading, low-water machines and has done for as long as I've been around but you don't hear people complaining there that they don't work and clothes smell - it's a load of bunk. Just use the right powder and don't overload the machine then it'll be fine. America is so quaint with it's old fashioned top-loaders tongue.gif

Cloth diapers can start to get a bit whiffy no matter how well you wash them after a while - that's what washing them with white/spirit vinegar is for smile.gif Just a cupful in the washer every once in a while gets rid of the lingering cloth diaper smell...

The better you rinse them out before washing, the cleaner they will be when done ;) Mine get a good rinse immediately after use and if time is tight I'll let them soak a day until I can do that properly :) Squeeze, do not wring, the diapers as you rinse them, and the shower is a good place for this since you're already in there with the water already flowing, thus saving a bit of water and time B)

Bettypooh

We have a front loader, works fine with cloth diapers. Ours has an extra rinse cycle which I use for diapers or anytime we use bleach. I too use vinegar, takes care of any odor issues. Now, as to what make and model machine you should buy (if you don't have one)you will probably get a lot of opinions. I'll start; we have Bosch and HATE them. If they weren't so expensive we would have already replaced them. Why you ask; Bosch is prone to mildew so you have to leave the washer door open (ours is in the basement so not a big issue from an appearance standpoint), subsequent to our model year they have added a drying fan. It uses so little water, normally a good thing, that the wash cycle is as long as the dry cycle, average is 55 minutes. If you add extra rinse it goes over an hour. There is an issue with soap residue, and we use half the amount recommended for HE machines. The dryer takes FOREVER!! Wish we kept our 15 yr old Maytag dryer. Next time around we are going with a Whirlpool or Maytag, but still front loader. We do like that design.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no problems with HE washer / dryer. If you're going to use AIO or anything with plastic barriers, the high speed spin on the he is pretty essential to ever getting them dry.

Good topic! When I bought this house in Florida, i bought a little LG front loader that also dried. Sounds too good to be true? It is. I ended buying an old second-hand dryer with a "Montgomery Wards" label and it was much better than the LG washer! After one inlet valve and a water pump in less than two years, I got feed up with it and bought both a Maytag front loader and matching dryer. Both the LG and Maytag have sanitize mode which engages a built-in heater to step up the heat of the hot water. With that mode, extra wash, extra rinse and maximum extraction spin; the load of diapers takes two hours! Okay, but it doesn't use too much water and they do come out clean. We also use Tide HE detergent and not too much of at that.

Hope this helps all who are considering a front-loader for washing diapers and other clothes wet with urine or other biological agents.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a top-loading HE Maytag and I was told as I shopped that the HE washers weigh the load of clothes to determine the water level needed to wash them. I wanted to ask how it would adjust for the weight of wet diapers, but I couldn't as my wife was along and it would have created an issue.

Does anyone know how this works? Maybe it's a good thing in that wet diapers weigh more and so will cause the washer to use more water for the load.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a He front loader about 2 years ago and I LOVE it!

Not only does it have a "sanitize cycle", It also has a "steam clean" and a "quick rinse" cycle ( which I use for really dirty, um, stuff).

Gets everything nice and clean. Another nice thing about a front loader is, They don't seem to be as hard on your clothes!

I get a LOT less dryer lint nowadays...

The trick I've found to beating any mold / mildew smells is to leave the door open, wipe the gasket dry and remove the soap / bleach dispenser when not in use.

I still have the original deodorizer tablet that came with my washer... never had to use it..