LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The Fit Of Pants

When in the past I've read articles on the Interweb about using cloth diapers (nappies) I have come across the explanation about having plastic pants that have enough spare material to push the legs of the pants and the waistband back on themselves into the diaper (nappy) and this apparently quite makes the combination very durable and leakproof.

I have seen it done on pictures and it looks great almost bombproof.

My question is being a average sized guy with a 42" waist and wearing a cloth diaper capable of actually lasting through the night, is, Where would you get plastic pants made to do this with?

Nearly everything I've tried over the years has been short of spare material to achieve the desired effect.

I once did try buying pants that were oversize, but I found that they were a loose fit on my legs and waist so made an easy

pathway for leaks just after wetting while the diaper was doing it's wicking.

That is next to impossible with anything that I know of for the last 50+ years. It used to be a long time ago that the rubber and early plastic panties did not have the forward facing leg openings, Instead, it was like they were two "rear"s attached together. This made them very full and with a very wide crotch and the legs were very low and looked like very short bloomers or medieval pantaloons and they were very high-waisted. Even 10 years later there was the term "baby bloomers" as a left-over, along with "rubber panties". This was in the days before the prefolds took over or even came out. You could do that then but that was 60 years ago.

One of the things about prefolds was that they were close-fitting compared to previous diapers, which were just pieces of cloth folded in various ways for the most part. In fact prior to about 1950, most diapers were homemade of a fairly thick material and did double or triple duty. Most ladies could cut and sew. In my area, if a woman worked it was in a dressmaking shop or textile mill and there were fabric stores all over the place so spending money for something that would be just diapers did not make sense as far as babies were concerned. Also there would most likely be three or more children so things had to last.

However the forward facing legs made for a more close-fitting panty but that went well with the prefold. So I do not see how you can do the folded in waist and leg bands now, but that was a dying art even when I was little.

Only pants I've been able to get that you can still do that with are comco's. everything else i have seen look like they were made more for looks then function..

When in the past I've read articles on the Interweb about using cloth diapers (nappies) I have come across the explanation about having plastic pants that have enough spare material to push the legs of the pants and the waistband back on themselves into the diaper (nappy) and this apparently quite makes the combination very durable and leakproof.

I have seen it done on pictures and it looks great almost bombproof.

My question is being a average sized guy with a 42" waist and wearing a cloth diaper capable of actually lasting through the night, is, Where would you get plastic pants made to do this with?

Nearly everything I've tried over the years has been short of spare material to achieve the desired effect.

I once did try buying pants that were oversize, but I found that they were a loose fit on my legs and waist so made an easy

pathway for leaks just after wetting while the diaper was doing it's wicking.

I can do this by wearing high-backed plastic panties (which are higher in the front too ;) ). There is almost always enough width in the crotch to allow for the legs to be tucked, and the extra material up top allows the same at the waist B) The usual solution for most is to use more diaper or change more often to avoid leakage- when this technique becomes necessary you're already far too wet to continue for long without leaking :blush: or you need tighter elastics to start with :rolleyes: Sometimes you have to sacrifice comfort to get what you need, but most can find a brand and style of plastic panties that are just the right combination of fit and purpose B) It does take some looking around and trying different ones till you strike gold :angel_not: but it''s out there somewhere!

Bettypooh

If you are using the traditional British terry square and you have a 42" waist, what I would suggest is as follows:-

Use a 48" terry square, kitefolded. (You can use a 48" or 60" muslin square kitefolded inside if you wish, and a booster if the nappy is getting old, or if you really need it.)

TUCK THE LEGS IN! fold them back inside, about 3" at the back of the legs, but all round. This gives you a "cuff" about four layers thick which helps greatly in containment. It also takes the pressure off the leg and waist elastics at the back. It makes a very neat nappy with a rounded outline. Nappi Nippas size 2 help quite a lot in keeping your nappy up.

Use Gary "Extra Large" size pants. The best ones are Euroflex with high waist and wide enclosed elastics from Shop4pvc.com; they cost more but they last forever.

Push the leg elastics up as far as possible.

If this is too much between the legs - you can strain your femoral head if you are not careful - then sleep with a pillow between your knees.

Don't wear anything over the pants. Let them find their own level.

This should take anything you can throw at it.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

There is some good info and tips in there.

Freswith, you are a mine of good information thank you for that also. - John.

I did not see a dewcription of the material but at $28, they better put themselves on

So what say you to the Protex advised above at US$43.90 (marked down from US$59.90)?

the protex i linked was for 2 of them so its only 22$ each...not the cheepest but somewhat translucent and honestly i like them a lot very comfortable and have not leaked yet less i was asking for it. My default plastic pant for most times. Very soft and quite thick feeling. Personally i wish they were louder but thats just me :0)

• 2 months later...

Yes another gripe is the cost of decent plastic pants, you either buy cheap but almost useless pants or have to pay shipping or import tax on decent pants.

Within the last year I have added at least a dozen plastic pants to my collection as I was shopping on eBay....looking for the right fit. The Chinese offer them with "Free Shipping" and that 's what seals the deal for me. Haien plastic pants #5001 in XL are perfect for overnight protection to my 40-42 inch waist with thick cloth diapers. Roomy with good elastics. I've averaged $5 a pair. Not a leak yet! I got them in large also for thinner daytime diapers or with a cloth-disposable combo diaper. Quite pleased!

Tried a Japanese pair (Nice-Diaper) of snap-on's with the anti-leak cuffs recently and was amazed how comfortable and ingenious the design. Great feel. No leaks!

I've tried Gary, Suprima, Comco, Protex, AC Medical, Med-Line, Salk, and others, but the ones above come closest to my memories of Gerber Adult plastic pants, aka, Soft-n-Silent's.

Once you find what is right for yourself then there are much fewer worries of leaks and diapers are even funner.

Happiness Is Wearing Cloth Diapers