LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store
dependsfavorite

Close To Incontinence With A Catheter

After 36 hours of use the modified catheter was removed causing almost no urethral irritation compared to a standard Foley. Just wondering what balloon size people are using? I’m using the 5cc inflated with 10cc sterile water from an the insertion tray per instructions. I've seen 5cc (inflated to 10cc), 15cc, 30cc and even a 75cc.

While I've never tried the extra holes yet, I have used almost exclusively 30cc balloon caths inflated to 30cc. I figure that makes the bladder capacity smaller and forces it to drain more often. Even at 30cc it is only the size of a plum. 5cc only looks to be the size of a good sized grape.

Thanks BoTox – I’ll put in an order for the larger size and see how that works.

I realize that the punch method of hole creation that I described needs some elaboration. I’ve discovered that by sliding the catheter to the edge of the packaging I can punch though the package and the catheter compromising the sterile field as little as possible. I then wrap the packaging around the hole with an antiseptic wipe. The open-end wrench or any tool that can flatten the catheter holds it in place while making the cut. The cut is on the side as illustrated in the picture. You need to take very little material because the hole is doubled in size when you release the pressure. Hope that helps explain things better.

post-9519-0-79584700-1315082640_thumb.jp

post-9519-0-79584700-1315082640_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I have used both cc sizes and didn't see a difference. I think it would not work as great on a straight cath because they are more rigid. any sharp edge on the hole could irritate the urethra.

While the punch does not create a rounded edge the low angle of the bevel seems reasonable. The bevel angel is lowest in the insertion and withdrawal direction. Flame burnishing is used to round off glassware, but would likely just light latex or silicone on fire. Short of casting your own catheters I'm out of ideas to smooth out the edges.

post-9519-0-86879400-1315089395_thumb.jp

post-9519-0-86879400-1315089395_thumb.jp

While the punch does not create a rounded edge the low angle of the bevel seems reasonable. The bevel angel is lowest in the insertion and withdrawal direction. Flame burnishing is used to round off glassware, but would likely just light latex or silicone on fire. Short of casting your own catheters I'm out of ideas to smooth out the edges.

OK, that makes sense. Looks like you are clipping it way back from the balloon. I guess it doesn't matter where the hole is as long as it is before the end of the body.

I doubt you could polish or otherwise smooth latex or silicone. I would think the sharper the punch, the better and cleaner the edge. The caths I've examined did not appear to have smoothed edges. They were, like your diagram, just nicking the edge so they weren't a large circumference, which meant very little was missing to irritate the tissue.

Thanks BoTox – I’ll put in an order for the larger size and see how that works.

I realize that the punch method of hole creation that I described needs some elaboration. I’ve discovered that by sliding the catheter to the edge of the packaging I can punch though the package and the catheter compromising the sterile field as little as possible. I then wrap the packaging around the hole with an antiseptic wipe. The open-end wrench or any tool that can flatten the catheter holds it in place while making the cut. The cut is on the side as illustrated in the picture. You need to take very little material because the hole is doubled in size when you release the pressure. Hope that helps explain things better.

Where did you get this from? It's not what people call a typical leather hole punch. The closest I found was a doll makers punch.

Thanks!

Where did you get this from? It's not what people call a typical leather hole punch. The closest I found was a doll makers punch.

Thanks!

I got this at a leather specialty shop ages ago. Tandy Leather stores are in many major cities or you can mail order.

Tandy Leather Factory has a multi punch for about $20

http://www.tandyleat...ls/3004-00.aspx

Maxi Punch Set Item #3004-00

Diameters 3/16", 13/64", 7/32", 1/4", 17/64" and 5/16". Set includes six interchangeable tempered-steel tubes and forged steel handle.

or single size for $13

http://www.tandyleat...ts/3777-09.aspx

• Like 1

OK so my first attempt to try this failed using a 12FR catheter. I think I made the hole to large and while inserting it may have gotten twisted and blocked as nothing was coming out even with an open end on the catheter.

Today starting with a 14fr things went much better. While I don’t wish to be incontinent permanently, I will say this had to be as close to the real thing as it gets. While sitting you would feel the occasional flow or release. When standing up from a sitting position it was like the flood gates opened. As an added attraction I have a chest cold so every time I would cough I would feel a little gush or flow.

For the cut out or opening I used a 3” pair of wire cutters cleaned in alcohol and then cleaned the new opening area with the same.

While safety is major concern if you read around the net, many user say Cranberry juice is a great way to prevent a UTI. The natural acid in cranberry juice helps to flush out an infection that may form in the bladder.

Now if you can acquire a taste for cranberry juice you’re all set.

Now if you can acquire a taste for cranberry juice you’re all set.

I mix straight Cranberry juice with Diet Dew - works for me.

Personally I think the key to avoiding UTI is to drink lots of fluids, but you will be changing often and the flow doesn't stop just because you want to change your diaper. After awhile I just wanted to be in a dry diaper for an hour. Yeah, that's not going to happen with this procedure.

I’m getting a bit concerned that the enthusiasm of those of us who have tried this needs to be tempered with some of the inherent risks. I think you have to acknowledge that the possibility of a UTI is very real no matter how sterile and how much Cranberry juice you drink - it can happen, you can only MINIMIZE the possibility. Those thinking of trying this should study the procedure of catheterization (lots of videos online, this might make you think again). Above all if any of the warning signs of a UTI (learn them!) are present get care immediately your life is at risk. Okay, I’ll get of the soapbox and let someone else have a turn.

This is sooooo cool

I wish I could get my hands on some catheter..

Does anybody now how to get one?

Ebay would offer the least resistence for ordering. There are some great online medical stores you can order from also. I would think no one is going to post their source as they do require a prescription in the US but rarely inforced

I use wire cutters to make the hole in my catheter. Just keep things clean and the fluid flowing to cut down the risk of a UTI. Of all of the times I use a catheter (once or twice a week left in for a day) I have only gotten one UTI in the past year. Started noticing clouding urine, popped a few leftover antibiotics and it was gone in 2 days. I have been getting my catheters on ebay as well as my outfits.

• Like 1

I’m getting a bit concerned that the enthusiasm of those of us who have tried this needs to be tempered with some of the inherent risks. I think you have to acknowledge that the possibility of a UTI is very real no matter how sterile and how much Cranberry juice you drink - it can happen, you can only MINIMIZE the possibility. Those thinking of trying this should study the procedure of catheterization (lots of videos online, this might make you think again). Above all if any of the warning signs of a UTI (learn them!) are present get care immediately your life is at risk. Okay, I’ll get of the soapbox and let someone else have a turn.

Really well said!

I've been playing with catheters since I was 14. In that time I've only had a few infections. Taking precautions is very important. Keep everything sterile as possible. Drink *lots* of fluids, way more than you normally would, this helps flush the bladder. In addition to Cranberry juice I also recommend taking a low dose of the herb Uva Ursi ( http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/uva-ursi-000278.htm ). If you feel you might have the start of a bladder infection then take more.

If at any point you are wondering if you have a serious UTI do not wait, go directly to your doctor or clinic. If untreated a bladder infection can migrate to the kidneys. This is turn can kill you due to septic shock, etc. The doctor will look be surprised if a male has a UTI, it's far more common in females (smaller plumbing). You have two choices, be upfront and honest and tell him you were using a catheter. Should telling the truth prove too difficult tell the doc your gf/bf/sheep has a UTI and that must have been where you got it from (during sex of course).

I just want to reiterate SWet's advice and warnings. This is not a safe way to play, it is dangerous and has huge risks. If you accept these risks be aware of what to watch for and how to treat it.

First off, I’m a little reluctant to share this but it seems a worthwhile improvement to the catheter experience. The amount of catheter material in the diaper is considerable and often uncomfortable – this is a method to reduce it. Figure 1 illustrates the conventional blocked catheter configuration that would be in the diaper.

Figure 2 shows a kink in the catheter being secured (pull as hard as you can) with a plastic zip tie (the smallest from your local hardware store). The small balloon inflation tube should be on the inside of the kink to maximize the bend and pressure on this tube. The pressure from the catheter balloon is considerable and unless secured properly it will leak and deflate the balloon. I suggest enjoying the cath experience for a few hours so as not to be disappointed if this should happen (it happened to me the first time). You can test the closure of the catheter balloon by re-inserting the inflation syringe and attempting to withdraw some of the sterile water.

Figure 3 illustrates the removed catheter valves and collection tube. Simply cut it off with sharp scissors. The remaining catheter tube should be as long as possible.

Cutting the zip tie as close to the lock\closure results in little bulk, but sufficient to avoid migration into the urethra.

Figure 4 shows a plastic cap from your hardware store. This softens the sharp edges of the tie. For Particularly Paranoid Persons (PPP) the plastic cap can be sewn to the catheter tube with a few stitches of upholstery thread if you are concerned with migration of the catheter into the bladder if the zip tie should fail.

To deflate the balloon just use scissors to cut the zip tie off. The balloon will drain in a few moments and the catheter can be removed with the usual caution. Cutting the catheter tube like this is accepted protocol in many hospitals.

At this time I would like to make the usual useless disclaimers. This is what I have tried your results may vary and no one else should ever attempt this. ;)

post-9519-0-41532600-1315422147_thumb.jp

Edited by SWet

Really well said!

I've been playing with catheters since I was 14. In that time I've only had a few infections. Taking precautions is very important. Keep everything sterile as possible. Drink *lots* of fluids, way more than you normally would, this helps flush the bladder. In addition to Cranberry juice I also recommend taking a low dose of the herb Uva Ursi ( http://www.umm.edu/a...ursi-000278.htm ). If you feel you might have the start of a bladder infection then take more.

I went to the link posted above to read more about this herb... I think EVERYONE who considers taking this herb should read

the info there.... The article mentions several times that taking to much of this herb can cause liver damage!

Be careful, folks!

I went to the link posted above to read more about this herb... I think EVERYONE who considers taking this herb should read

the info there.... The article mentions several times that taking to much of this herb can cause liver damage!

Be careful, folks!

Well of course you have to read it and follow the instructions. I did not say go take a whole bottle and hope for the best. Tylenol also causes liver damage, but we certainly use it.

It also helps treat a minor / early UTI, which beats the alternative.

Well, tried Swet's idea of zip tying the end of the cath and cutting off the rest. It worked like a charm and was nice not having all that extra in the diaper. The balloon drained with no problem when I cut the zip tie off.

It worked like a charm and was nice not having all that extra in the diaper.

Glad to hear that it worked for you BabyboyCW.

Since ones diaper ends up continuously damp, I was wondering what sort of skin protection or cleaning people use to avoid problems? I use "No Rinse" to clean up and then apply Johnson’s oil gel alternating at each diaper change with Calazime paste for a cooling menthol feeling.

I haven't ended up with any skin problems so far. I use baby wipes when changing, thats about it.

Whats the sensation like with the catheter draining in the nappy, are you suddenly wet without realising it? Does the wetness go to the back of the nappy.....

I would love to try catheters but hate the thought of sticking something it my willy.... I would need somebody to do it for me..

• Like 1

Whats the sensation like with the catheter draining in the nappy, are you suddenly wet without realising it? Does the wetness go to the back of the nappy.....

No, you will know you are wetting its just you will have no control over what is happening. As myself and others have said, you will flow more when standing up or when first rising from a sitting position.

Yes, your diaper will work like it normally would.

And with adding the hole in the catheter, there is no stopping the flow until you take it out.

I would love to try it ,with the holes of course!

Can somebody upload a picture of the catheter with the holes so we can see what it looks like?