LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Close To Incontinence With A Catheter

Anyone succeeded in losing control permanently by using catheters? either the modified method or just by having a foley inserted for a long time.

How long do you have the catheter inserted before changing it?

I hope this modified method will reduce the risk of UTI's since urine is traveling down on the outside of the catheter. I plan to try it out and if successfull wear one for the time needed to lose whatever control I have left, and reduce bladder capacity also.

I'll let It drain into my diaper throughout the whole period

I've gone seven months straight using unmodified foley catheters once. Per my urologists recommendations, I change my catheters once every week, and drank lots of cranberry (or took cranberry pills). Not per his recommendations, I let it openly drain into my diaper.

I did not get a uti the entire time. Unfortunately, it did not cause me to develop functional Incontinence either (though I already had a neurological blockage which was making my sphincter clamp shut before that). Unfortunately, the prolonged use did cause me to develop a sensitivity to having anything in my urethra. As such, I would not recommend prolonged use of catheters (modified or not), for more than a few months at a time.

I've gone seven months straight using unmodified foley catheters once. Per my urologists recommendations, I change my catheters once every week, and drank lots of cranberry (or took cranberry pills). Not per his recommendations, I let it openly drain into my diaper.

I did not get a uti the entire time. Unfortunately, it did not cause me to develop functional Incontinence either (though I already had a neurological blockage which was making my sphincter clamp shut before that). Unfortunately, the prolonged use did cause me to develop a sensitivity to having anything in my urethra. As such, I would not recommend prolonged use of catheters (modified or not), for more than a few months at a time.

I think it simply has to do with whether or not your sphincter clamps back down around the catheter or not. If it does then it would be like holding your pee non stop for 6 months, or however long. It won't weaken for sure, if anything it might get stronger. On the other hand, if your relaxed and open for that entire time, then I can see it would cause it to weaken dramatically.

And yeah, hired or cranberry pills to promote a health urinary system would be recommended more than just lots of water alone.

I think it simply has to do with whether or not your sphincter clamps back down around the catheter or not. If it does then it would be like holding your pee non stop for 6 months, or however long. It won't weaken for sure, if anything it might get stronger. On the other hand, if your relaxed and open for that entire time, then I can see it would cause it to weaken dramatically.

And yeah, hired or cranberry pills to promote a health urinary system would be recommended more than just lots of water alone.

ok, how can you feel if your sphincter clamps back down around the catheter or not? Just of curiosity?

I recon you mean you still have to stay relaxed all the time in order to prevent the sphincter to clamp down around the catheter, otherwise you are countering what ever process which have been made..........

ok, how can you feel if your sphincter clamps back down around the catheter or not? Just of curiosity?

I recon you mean you still have to stay relaxed all the time in order to prevent the sphincter to clamp down around the catheter, otherwise you are countering what ever process which have been made..........

The sphincter can clamp down and you won't feel anything... Or it can clamp down and become painful... Or it can clamp down and then spasm and become ridiculously painful. Ultimately you may or may not know.

I can very much feel my sphincter muscle just as easily as you can tell if your biceps muscle if flexed or not. (you just tried it didn't you). And yes, I have to actively concentrate in order to keep my sphincter open. The moment I loose that concentration I can feel it clamp down really hard and stay that way till I try and open it back up again. Even with a catheter in, my muscle is still trying to flex closed so there is no progress being made- even if I am otherwise openly Dry being thanks to the catheter.

I know this is not normal, both on being able to feel my sphincter or it automatically clamping shut. I'm told most people can't feel anything inside them very well, and that as long as they don't try and close their sphincter it will remain relaxed. This is just not the case for me though.

Looks like the Hiprex oral is a prescription here the US. It would be nice to have something other that cranberry juice to use against a UTI. That is short of trip to the dock for something stronger. I avoid drugs whenever possible.

I've considered using a modified cath for situations where I usually find it hard to release, and at night, but otherwise just going freely like in the 12 mo program. My hope is that by doing it this way, I could combat the tendency for that 'automatic holding' to impede whatever progress was made during the day.

It's been a while since I used the modified catheter. When I was going this way a 14FR with only one opening would often mimic the same issues as described by Inconito. Moving up to the 16FR worked much better for me and normally no urge to pee.

Sometimes while laying down regardless

It's a clever system that has made my life easier. I have discussed it with a urologist and they confirmed that it should theoretically be quite safe, with the caveat that the "modification hole" should not have sharp edges as irritation of the urethra could lead to strictures. (If you can feel the hole irritating the urethra, take it out !!)

• 3 weeks later...

I have never tried the modified foley catheter, but I think it would be good to put the extra hole just beneath the outer sphincter. The urethra is wider there therefor decreasing the risk of irritation. Another advantage would be that a larger part of the urethra gets flushed with pee, which also decreases the risk of an infection.

I think it is also wise to flush the upper part of the urethra. I do that twice a day. When my bladder is half full (when I lie in bed or on the couch) I squeeze the tip of my penis to shut the urethra. Then I press to let the pee flow out of the bladder and fill the urethra. The urethra then expands a little allowing the pee to flush between the stent/catheter and the tissue. It causes a little discomfort but after that it feels as if the stent is no longer clinging to the urethra.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the information on the web for the Spanner stent, I don't think it will induce incontinence because it passes through the prostate gland, but does not pass through the outer sphincter, so the patient retains control of the bladder.

Reasding the guidance on the Spanner Stent I see it is available in different lengths from 4cm right up to 9cm, you have to be measured before one is fitted to ensure it terminates between the prostate and outer sphincter. I guess for some people the

Looking at the information on the web for the Spanner stent, I don't think it will induce incontinence because it passes through the prostate gland, but does not pass through the outer sphincter, so the patient retains control of the bladder.

You are correct.

I have followed this thread for a long time and am particularly interested in the idea of a stent. The advantage is that it allows the freedom of a catheter with unrestricted urine flow, but without the catheter tube protruding from the urethra which can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. Also I find urine bags quite cumbersome, although the Rusch belly bag is the best option around. I have used nappies (diapers) for many years and am quite happy to continue with them. It's a pity that there does not appear to be a product available that would perform this function. I am not confident enough to copy the home-made solutions that some have made and would worry too much about it going horribly wrong. Any advice or comments would be welcome.

I am not confident enough to copy the home-made solutions that some have made and would worry too much about it going horribly wrong. Any advice or comments would be welcome.

I think most of us that are using either a modified cath or stent have felt the same way you are