LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Bad Experience With Cashier

So Yesterday I had my first bad experience with a cashier while buying diapers. I went to the local cvs pharmacy to pick up some depends maximum protection because I had just run out of bambinos and wanted something to use until I would be getting more. I have done this a million times, you just walk up to the register, buy it and walk out with your diapers. It's not rocket science, no one ever truly says or does anything, right? That's what I thought too, until yesterday.

I walked up to the register and set the depends on the counter. The cashier flipped it over to scan it and asked,

"oh you haven't grown out of it yet?"

I was confused at first. Immediately I assumed the sizing of the diaper but that made no sense so I asked,

"excuse me?"

he then proceeded to ask again, with a grin and condescending tone,

"you haven't grown out of peeing the bed yet?"

At this point everything clicked and s#@! just hit def-con 5. I was outraged and demanded to see his manager immediately. I kept my composure but was obviously upset and offended. He did so immediately and started squirming in his shoes. He knew he just did something real stupid. While ringing me up he tried an attempt at a feeble empty apology but I interjected, telling him that I truly did not want to hear it and just wanted to speak to the manager.

The manager arrived only moments afterwords and I explained to him what had happened. I went on to explain that incontinence is a serious issue that anyone, even a young man like myself, can deal with. I explained that I was just embarrassed, belittled and offended by his out of line employee and that I am truly very hurt. Whatever product I buy is my own business and I should not have to feel embarrassed by absolutely anything that I buy in this pharmacy. The manager was very understanding and said that he would have a serious talk with the employee. even though I wasn't truly satisfied with this I just wanted to get out at that point so I left.

But that's not the end of it. I called the corporate headquarters this morning and explained the entire situation in great excruciating detail. The woman who spoke with me seemed truly hurt anyone would do that to someone for any reason and was more than eager to rectify this. She sent a report directly to the regional manager's blackberry and within the hour I had a call from the head store manager. She was beyond apologetic and offered to give me a $50 gift card to cvs (more diapers does help with the way I feel about this, lol). I accepted the apologies and while I was on the way over to the pharmacy to pick up the gift card, the regional and district managers called me to personaly apologize and to truly touch base with me.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the situation. they had a fast and immediate response. The store manager told me that she gave the employee who did it a written report that will give him only one chance to keep his job. The employee who made the comments had offered to call me and talk to me directly but I declined so he left me a message that he was truly sorry and honestly never meant to hurt me. It was just a stupid attempt to make a joke and he didn't realize the true implications of his words. I'm still upset at him and first impressions are hard to change but I do forgive him for what he said. I don't want him to get fired but I am glad that everything happened the way it did. I did feel bad about alluding to the fact that I was incontinent but I needed to get the point across and I felt that was the best angle to take. I never did lie but I did make it seem as if I was incontinent and being discreet about it. I was as respectable as anyone could be in that situation.

I hope I represented diaper wearers well. I kept on thinking what I would have done if that was the first time I was buying diapers. I think it would have caused me serious anxiety problems. I stood up for all diaper wearers alike.

• Like 10

Very good job!

That's all I can say. You handled it perfectly, and exactly how I would if embarrassed by that. I've had teen cashiers giggle under their breath - and I can both understand and ignore that - but to actually say something and treat you that way - THAT had to be handled on the spot and with the higher-ups.

CVS and Walgreens have killed local, attentive pharmacies and home medical stores, so they now have to live up to the responsibility they wanted to care for the health needs of the public.

• Like 4

You took that way too seriously. It's better to just play it cool and laugh or shrug it off than to cause a scene in the middle of a store. The cashier was probably only messing with you anyways.

I don't buy diapers in retail stores very often, but there have been a few occurrences where either the cashier has implied that they might be for my own personal use. I don't let it frazzle me and take everything in stride. One of the most memorable ones, I was in a local Walgreens picking up a pack of their store brand diapers, which are actually quite nice for daytime use, I got the huge mega pack and the cashier was having trouble finding a bag of the appropriate size. She asked if I really wanted a bag to cover them up with and I responded no, it was really OK, everybody already knew that I wore diapers anyways. She was blushing more than I was at that point. I finished paying and left.

There is absolutely no need to get all riled up over an off-hand comment or (possibly) inappropriate remark from some stranger. They don't know you more than the man in the moon, and does it really matter what they think? If they want to razz me I'll play along. Better to have fun with it than to get pissed off.

• Like 10

You took that way too seriously. It's better to just play it cool and laugh or shrug it off than to cause a scene in the middle of a store. The cashier was probably only messing with you anyways.

I don't buy diapers in retail stores very often, but there have been a few occurrences where either the cashier has implied that they might be for my own personal use. I don't let it frazzle me and take everything in stride. One of the most memorable ones, I was in a local Walgreens picking up a pack of their store brand diapers, which are actually quite nice for daytime use, I got the huge mega pack and the cashier was having trouble finding a bag of the appropriate size. She asked if I really wanted a bag to cover them up with and I responded no, it was really OK, everybody already knew that I wore diapers anyways. She was blushing more than I was at that point. I finished paying and left.

There is absolutely no need to get all riled up over an off-hand comment or (possibly) inappropriate remark from some stranger. They don't know you more than the man in the moon, and does it really matter what they think? If they want to razz me I'll play along. Better to have fun with it than to get pissed off.

I disagree. When you go to a store, you should be treated with nothing but respect.

If I get bad service, I always ask for a manager.

• Like 12

I also agree when you go into a store you should be treated with respect no matter what you buy be it diapers or make up. your dollers spent there help keep the store operating and pay salaries of the employees. Whether it was said in jest or not it should not have been said.

• Like 5

I disagree. When you go to a store, you should be treated with nothing but respect.

If I get bad service, I always ask for a manager.

This. Even if for no other reason than to make sure the employee doesn't do that again to somebody else.

As much as the customer has every right to be treated respectfully, the store can't deal with bad customer service if they don't know where the problem lies.

In retail you have to either respect the customer (and learn from the bollocking you get the first time you embarrass one) or you have to find another job, simple as. That's even more the case when the customer is buying something that most would consider embarrassing. Even if the OP wasn't embarrassed at all, it was still important to ensure the employee realised that what they said wasn't appropriate.

• Like 5

So Yesterday I had my first bad experience with a cashier while buying diapers. I went to the local cvs pharmacy to pick up some depends maximum protection because I had just run out of bambinos and wanted something to use until I would be getting more. I have done this a million times, you just walk up to the register, buy it and walk out with your diapers. It's not rocket science, no one ever truly says or does anything, right? That's what I thought too, until yesterday.

I walked up to the register and set the depends on the counter. The cashier flipped it over to scan it and asked,

"oh you haven't grown out of it yet?"

I was confused at first. Immediately I assumed the sizing of the diaper but that made no sense so I asked,

"excuse me?"

he then proceeded to ask again, with a grin and condescending tone,

"you haven't grown out of peeing the bed yet?"

At this point everything clicked and s#@! just hit def-con 5. I was outraged and demanded to see his manager immediately. I kept my composure but was obviously upset and offended. He did so immediately and started squirming in his shoes. He knew he just did something real stupid. While ringing me up he tried an attempt at a feeble empty apology but I interjected, telling him that I truly did not want to hear it and just wanted to speak to the manager.

The manager arrived only moments afterwords and I explained to him what had happened. I went on to explain that incontinence is a serious issue that anyone, even a young man like myself, can deal with. I explained that I was just embarrassed, belittled and offended by his out of line employee and that I am truly very hurt. Whatever product I buy is my own business and I should not have to feel embarrassed by absolutely anything that I buy in his pharmacy. The manager was very understanding and said that he would have a serious talk with the employee. even though I wasn't truly satisfied with this I just wanted to get out at that point so I left.

But that's not the end of it. I called the corporate headquarters this morning and explained the entire situation in great excruciating detail. The woman who spoke with me seemed truly hurt anyone would do that to someone for any reason and was more than eager to rectify this. She sent a report directly to the regional manager's blackberry and within the hour I had a call from the head store manager. She was beyond apologetic and offered to gave me a $50 gift card to cvs (more diapers does help with the way I feel about this, lol). I accepted the apologies and while I was on the way over to the pharmacy to pick up the gift card, the regional and district managers called me to personaly apologize and to truly touch base with me.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the situation. they had a fast and immediate response. The store manager told me that she gave the employee who did it a written report that will give him only one chance to keep his job. The employee who made the comments had offered to call me and talk to me directly but I declined so he left me a message that he was truly sorry and honestly never meant to hurt me. It was just a stupid attempt to make a joke and he didn't realize the true implications of his words. I'm still upset at him and first impressions are hard to change but I do forgive him for what he said. I don't want him to get fired but I am glad that everything happened the way it did. I did feel bad about alluding to the fact that I was incontinent but I needed to get the point across and I felt that was the best angle to take. I never did lie but I did make it seem as if I was incontinent and being discreet about it. I was as respectable as anyone could be in that situation.

I hope I represented diaper wearers well. I kept on thinking what I would have done if that was the first time I was buying diapers. I think it would have caused me serious anxiety problems. I stood up for all diaper wearers alike.

That sure would have gotten my face red, but I'm kinda torn, with my current financial situation I'd have to admit, I wouldn't mind the $50 gift card.

Still, I would have asked the manager if it was possible for me to speak to the employee myself and explained that being incurably incontinent, I have few options for management, I decided the best way is to use a diaper at all times. I would point out that there is nothing fun about incontinence), and that having a purchase singled out and commented on in such a demeaning way is highly disrespectful. I'd leave out that I do find, in my experience anyway, being incontinent a convenience at times.

In my opinion, it's all about intent. Was his intent to humiliate or embarass you? I doubt it. He's young and probably honestly thought you would think it was funny. I would agree that complaining to the manager was a good step, just so the guy could learn a lesson about what is appropriate. However, complaining all the way up the food chain was probably a bit much. I wouldn't doubt that the guy lost his job over this minor incident. So much for paying his bills.

• Like 4

I agree up to the point that it was not the guy on the tills place to make comments, especially about something like diapers, that are after all rather personal, but I have a short story that happened personally to me years ago.

There was a not so local pharmacie that stocks a small stock of disability stuff, they also keep matteress covers and one line in plastic pants.

We are talking mid 1980's here and not many people had internet, so being a D/L things had to be bought from shops rather than ordered online.

Anyway I used to buy depends fitted briefs and sandra plastic pants from the shop mentioned above, the first few times I was always very scared and hesitant about asking for what I wanted but the staff were always pleasant and never said anything about what I was buying.

So I got used to wandering in when the shop was quiet and ask for what I wanted and I would visit regularly every second week or so.

One day I went in to the shop and asked for the usuall pack of depends fitted briefs and a pair of plastic pants in my size.

The pharmacist stuck his head through the doorway leading to the rear of the shop and asked me to step through to the back of the shop.

I had a quick attack of instant panic and wondered why this was happening.

This guy looked at me and appologised for shocking me, then asked if I was buying for myself or someone else?

I answered they were for myself, it seemed the simplest answer at the time.

He said he had noticed that I was comming in regularly and said that if I was having problems in that area, with continence, that I should really be seeing a health professional about it.

He went on to explain that after a few checks and tests if if was decided that I needed "Products" that they would probably be supplied to me, saving me the outlay, also problems like this were better checked out sooner rather than later.

He them gave me the phone number of the local continence service and the advisors name on a bit of paper and said give her a ring and have a chat, they are really rather good.

I was then returned to the shop where I completed my purchase and I then retreated back to my car to let my heartbeat return to something like normal.

Credit to this guy he was only doing me a favour, if I really had problems, it would be better to have them looked at, sooner rather than later. It was still a big shock to me at the time.

Forward about 10 years I have genuine medical incontinence and often shop in there still for skincare stuff and other odds and sods and The pharmacist and I once had a long private chat about various disposable products and we got on to plastic pants and althogh he was not keen on their use because he seen them as old fashoned and outdated, he did have a look around all his suppliers to try and find me some better quality ones.

He only found one other type and they were not much better than the ones he stocked, the only thing he could suggest was to try online at the local library.

I think you handled it in exactly the right way. I agree that the employee probably meant no harm, but you can't let that kind of thing pass without a serious challenge. Incontinence is a serious and very embarrassing medical condition, and it should never be made fun of.

If you are truly incontinent I can see your point and agree with your actions. However, if you do not have a medical need, You may have over reacted in MHO. As stated before he may have just been trying to make light of the situation or perhaps found you cute and was genuinely curious. I went into a Walgreens Pharmacy last summer. It was early on Sunday morning and I had stopped in for a prescription. As I was checking out the female cashier mentioned that my diaper was sticking out and motioned with her finger. No one else was in line behind me at the time so I just replied,"Sorry, that happens to me a lot." I smiled and so did she. I paid for my purchase and left.

• Like 1

wow over reaction much? guy probably thought you were buying for someone else

as for unprofessional hes a cashier its not like hes a personal shopper at saks fifth ave

seriously ive had way worse comments ... keep taking things that seriously and you are due for an early heart attack i mean educating people who make rude comments is good and you did that by speaking with the offender right away but wow for such a small innocent comment you took it waaayyy far

but whatever you get $50 free merchandise out of it and most likely got some kid fired all in all a productive day

• Like 2

Obviously not having been there its pretty hard to judge the way in which the comment was said. It may well have been that the cashier was just messing around in a jokey way (let's face it, its not the most exciting job). But, either way a $50 voucher is a win for you!

I'm seeing responses from both sides, but as I see it here, orange clock did exactly the right thing :thumbsup:

First, incontinent or not, what you purchase from a store is not the business of a cashier. Their job is ONLY to treat you nicely and help you efficiently :huh: Idle chatter about purchases of personal items with customers isn't promoted in any employee handbooks I'm aware of- in most it is specifically prohibited! :bash:

Secondly, if this Clerk can't understand how the company wants them to treat people this will be a good education on being considerate of others and following company policy, not only now but for their future life :blush: If they learn now they will do well in the future- some people (and this one qualifies) can't seem to learn without learning the hard way by making their own mistakes :o I doubt they were fired (The OP says it didn't happen) so no harm was done save to the clerks over-inflated ego :P

Thirdly, as was shown, the corporation wants to know how their stores are doing so they can make good decisions about them B) Did you have to go to that level? No, but you have now made it clear that there is a potential problem in every store- now they can work on a fix so that it never happens to anyone else anywhere :) That's a win for us all :thumbsup:

Lastly, to those who think otherwise, how would you feel if a clerk said "Oh, that time of the month again?" when you bought menstrual supplies, or said "You know, we don't sell too many extra-small condoms" when you were planning some midnight fun with your wife? :angry2: I can think of another dozen scenarios easily where those who detracted the OP wouldn't like being treated similarly <_<

It's not about why it was said- it's about what was said, where it was said, and by whom it was said. No clerk had the right to do what was done under any circumstances :rant:

Orange clock; you handled this with great insight and aplomb- KUDOS!

Bettypooh

• Like 4

i have a movement disorder once when buying a hammer and nails a clerks said to me "geeshcareful u dont nail a finger to the house"

ive had clerks tell me i need to leave the store if i am going to keep making noises

once i was buying monistat , cranberry. juice, maxxi pads for my uti and condoms and lube for a friend who asked me to pick it up since i was at the store ... clerk says to me"he is a brave man"

as a former cashier we were encouraged to chat with the customers because we are the LAST employee they interact with

but as i said you got fifty bucks and a kid trying to make a joke fired so all in all a good day

• Like 1

I worked retail for many years. The cashier WAS innapropriate. We are talking about a CVS, not a walmart or ace hardware. People go to drugstores to make personal purchases and expect privacy and respect. If the "kid" wants to joke around I'm sure the GameStop is hiring. The cashier is welcome to go home and joke with his buddies about the young guy buying adult diapers. But when he has the red vest and name tag on he has a job to do and rules to follow.

Could the OP have laughed it off and go on with his day? Yep... if he found it funny. He didn't, and that's why you don't make such comments in a pharmacy. We weren't there, only the OP knows the tone and context of what was said, so I trust his feelings.

Its easy to call it an over-reaction from the saftey of our keyboards. But would you really be ok with it if some mocked your health-care purchases?

And what if it was your kid buying needed GoodNites, or your mother buying Poise pads? Would you want them to be treated with respect, or expect them to suck it up and take it?

Stop trying to make the OP feel bad about being mocked and disrespected.

• Like 8

Please read the threads carefully- like this part of the OP:

"The store manager told me that she gave the employee who did it a written report that will give him only one chance to keep his job."

The employee DID NOT GET FIRED as has been twice alluded to. I say this not to bash or embarrass anyone, but to prevent others from misunderstanding based on those posts.

Thanks for your understanding!

Bettypooh

• Like 1

i have a movement disorder once when buying a hammer and nails a clerks said to me "geeshcareful u dont nail a finger to the house"

ive had clerks tell me i need to leave the store if i am going to keep making noises

once i was buying monistat , cranberry. juice, maxxi pads for my uti and condoms and lube for a friend who asked me to pick it up since i was at the store ... clerk says to me"he is a brave man"

as a former cashier we were encouraged to chat with the customers because we are the LAST employee they interact with

but as i said you got fifty bucks and a kid trying to make a joke fired so all in all a good day

Just because you took it ok doesn't mean that everyone will. Making jokes related to the customer is a very bad idea. I probably would have walked out of that store pissed off, they wouldn't have had my business again and they wouldn't know why. He did the right right thing letting the store know that the employee offended him, it allows them a chance to fix the problem.

Nowadays it's not so much of a problem, but when I worked in a corporate office, there were days after working 10-12 hour days in highly stressful times where I'd have to stop at the store on the way home and I didn't want to talk to anyone. Then inevitably the cashier would try to strike up a conversation, which I was definitely not in the mood for, and they usually didn't take the hint. The best thing I discovered during that time period was Self Checkout. No amount of pleasant idle conversation from the cashier is going to make want to talk to them when they just want to get in, get out and get home. I'm no where near as stressed anymore, but I still love self checkout, I think the conversation at the register slows the whole process, I'm at the store to buy stuff, not to chat.

*hugs*

Michelle

I have tried to make small talk with cashiers, when their is no line, not necessarily about diapers, just in general. Most employees now are so afraid of corporate rules, they don't want to talk at all. I haven't bought diapers in store in along time, but always hoped I could catch a little comment. I did once in a thrift store and it was minor. I am in the overreaction camp, and while you can pat yourself on the back all you want, for the $50 don't complain when you think CVS prices are going up. They already seem high there to me. People in this country just seem to be too easily offended.

I don't agree with the cashier, who may or may not have his own interests in the lifestyle, he was wrong. But big time overreaction too in my opinion.

It wasn't diapers, but energy drinks that made me snap back at a cashier. I would buy the same cheap energy drinks every day, and the same cashier, would make a comment like, "how can you drink these kind, they're nasty" One day, I wasn't in a good mood, and he made another stupid comment. I asked him if I was buying these drinks for him, he said no, so I told him to mind his own damn business, ring up my drinks, and keep his mouth shut when taking my order. After that, I always got the fastest service at that store.