LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diapers And Health Care Reform

Guest aielen

sorry, but last time I checked this was not the political forum. There is no need for such anger and animosity. A simple "no" would have been just fine. Take the anger somewhere else.

I don't want to get intro a debate here either but can't understand why reform is so bad, the insurance companies have been screwing people for years.

• Like 4

Whether it be political or not the way I understand the bill as I have read it diapers are considered "medical devices" and subject to the 2.3%+ medical device excise tax... and no one likes a price increase :(

• Like 1

I don't want to get intro a debate here either but can't understand why reform is so bad, the insurance companies have been screwing people for years.

Where are all the doctors going to show up all of a sudden?

The answer to the question is no.

I read the bill and I can safely answer, "No."

Someone on another AB/DL community site talked about diaper rationing due to the passing of this bill. Nope. Not going to happen.

• Like 2

Well Europe has Government funded medical insurance... and Europe has better Tena products then the US.. so now US has Government funded Medical Insurance so maybe now US will get the better Tena products.. AMIRITE??

Not unless somehow the bill causes individuals to replace nursing homes and hospitals as the primary consumers of adult diapers.

It isn't the insurance companies that are getting rich, it is the drug companies. The big pharmas make 10 times the profit that the insurance companies do. First, let me say I'm not opposed to a company making a profit. It is the American way. Second, price controls do not work. Ask any former Soviet-era subject. Taxing makes things scarcer and subsidizing makes them more abundant. By that I mean that taxing health devices and good insurance plans will drive them out. Subsidizing the poor's insurance will guarantee we get more poor that need the insurance subsidy. Obama is bullying via the IRS 90% of the population to pay for the other 10%. Health insurance is not a right. A right is something God given, like freedom and libery. Your rights end when they invade another's domain. You have the right to free speech but I have the right to not have to listen.

In closing, the recent (and MOST legislation in the US) is unconstitutional. The federal government is supposed to provide for the common defense and other matters of external importance. The local state government should provide those things not delegated to the central government that the citizens need, not want.

• Like 7

You got to love how the people who disliked or were negative towards the healthcare issue were given negative ratings while those who belittled others, and were for the bill, recieved positive ratings.

Liz: that is amazing logic.

• Like 5

It isn't the insurance companies that are getting rich, it is the drug companies. The big pharmas make 10 times the profit that the insurance companies do. First, let me say I'm not opposed to a company making a profit. It is the American way. Second, price controls do not work. Ask any former Soviet-era subject. Taxing makes things scarcer and subsidizing makes them more abundant. By that I mean that taxing health devices and good insurance plans will drive them out. Subsidizing the poor's insurance will guarantee we get more poor that need the insurance subsidy. Obama is bullying via the IRS 90% of the population to pay for the other 10%. Health insurance is not a right. A right is something God given, like freedom and libery. Your rights end when they invade another's domain. You have the right to free speech but I have the right to not have to listen.

In closing, the recent (and MOST legislation in the US) is unconstitutional. The federal government is supposed to provide for the common defense and other matters of external importance. The local state government should provide those things not delegated to the central government that the citizens need, not want.

I am definitely going to bite my tongue on this once since a lot of things you said are... factually incorrect beyond repair.

I will be more than happy to clarify in another thread in another forum at some point in time.

• Like 2

Well I'm Canadian and I have free healthcare, as do all Canadians. It may not be perfect, but it is among one of the top ten in the world. America needs to open there eyes and see that they really don't have a health care system for everyone. The only thing the American system is good for is making the insurance companies rich. Oh, and my drug plan at work covers the cost of my diapers fully.

• Like 1

I really have no idea what the bill actually says or even if it is going to change anything.

I do know something has to be done as our current system does not work. So at least we are trying something new rather then sticking with the status quo that didn't work.

Interesting how many people say that with health care reform our insurance premiums will go up. Fact in point: My premium went up last fall over 30% when I never ever even had a claim with them. The reason quoted? They are losing money. Well, if that's the case, why are all their executives and the CEO getting those huge bonuses? By the way, my insurance dosen't even cover doctor appointments, perscriptions or preventitive screenings and I have a huge deductable. I'm paying close to $280 a month! (And yes, I've checked out other companies as well and I have no unusual or chronic medical problems).

A simple "no" would have been just fine.

Mostly true. There exists the possibility that pervasive electronic records, HSA-style medical expense debit cards, etc., might complicate buying diapers. To eliminate system waste, charging and billing might become automated, and personal data centralized. Well-meaning, non-AB/DL-aware shops might make a streamlining assumption that all diapers are medically necessary, and so covered by insurance. This would force us to do some explaining, or commit insurance fraud.

This possible and still unlikely future is still very far away, but the new law makes it one step closer.

If there is a retail shop near you where you can pay cash for good diapers, please support it. Today, they are important to AB/DLs living in situations that preclude mail order. Tomorrow, they might be useful in other ways. (If it comes to it, I suppose that if we went shopping with a tinfoil hat, wishing to pay cash and buy diapers anonymously might not draw any other questions. Not wanting our digital souls sucked into some collective corporate/government database to be shared with anyone and everyone is so much easier to explain than paraphilic infantilism.)

~Grey

Grey,

Good luck with finding decent diapers locally. My wife and I have driven 10 miles each of the past 3 weekends to the only store here (a Walmart) that stocked Depends Boost pads. First they were out of stock and now they have removed the sticker marking where they used to be displayed. Her comment to me was that Walmart only stocks what moves.

Her point, which I concur with, is that most adult diaper buyers enjoy the savings and discretion of mail order. That has reduced sales at brick and motar stores so they stop stocking them. If the majority of the adult diaper buyers revert and buy what is on the shelves (Depends), that may signal a return to stocking better diapers. This would take a while to produce the results most of us in this forum want.

On the other hand, with gasoline prices increasing again, so are shipping costs. When the cost savings are lost for mail order, the economic pressure may cause adult diaper buyers to return to local stores. That's how I see your plan working Grey.

Aloha,

Honu

Well I'm Canadian and I have free healthcare, as do all Canadians. It may not be perfect, but it is among one of the top ten in the world. America needs to open there eyes and see that they really don't have a health care system for everyone. The only thing the American system is good for is making the insurance companies rich. Oh, and my drug plan at work covers the cost of my diapers fully.

Your health care is not free, you pay for it in your taxes. What the average American pays for their employer based coverage has, depending on plan and policy been significantly less per year then what the tax burden would be if we had socialized medicine. The current Health bill is simply requiring American's to buy their own coverage and of course stealing money from everyone else to pay for those too stupid to make a budget. The government is not actually offering a Federally run plan, merely forcing people to buy insurance and forcing insurance companies to cover people. The biggest issues in America are pre-existing condition laws which are unconstitutional in their discriminatory manner along with the introduction of Health Savings accounts and all the fake insurance plans of the like. I used to work for Anthem Wellpoint and that was the new thing to do, to sell HSA's. America's problem was having insurance provided as an employment benfit, thus ruining the market for individual payer.

• Like 3

The problem with the health care reform is that it doesn't address the fundamental problem: The cost of medical care is too high. If the costs could come down, then insurance companies wouldn't have to pay out so much in claims and the premiums could be reduced. Most of the high costs can be blamed on pharmaceutical costs. Take a look (it's on the Internet) of what the CEOs of those companies earn. The LOWEST paid CEO makes over 6 million dollars a year. Next is the amount paid for advertising the drugs. There should be NO advertising. You can't get the drugs without a doctor's prescription, and the doctor doesn't want YOU deciding which medicine is best for you. The next highest cost is the profits and salaries the insurance companies make. I'm certainly not opposed to doctors and other essential medical staff making money; they earn it because of all the education required to be in their position. But hospital administration costs are also out of hand. If you aren't working on saving lives or dealing with patients directly, then you shouldn't be commanding a ridiculously high salary.

The first thing that needs to be done by the government is to regulate profits and set reasonable limits that our society can afford. In other words, no more seven-figure salaries in the pharmaceutical and insurance field. Between high gas prices and high medical care costs, it will ruin America just trying to pay for all of it.

And the main problem with insuring everyone is that it will overload the system and be impossible to get treatment or appoointments because everyone will now be running to the doctor and overfilling our hospitals. That could diminish the quality of medical care we receive. Guess we'll have no choice but to ride it out and see what happens.

• Like 2

nope the worken man in this country "USA" is screwed. the poor stay poor the middle man becomes poor, and the rich get richer. that how it works in this world. they have been for yrs working at getting rid of the middle class, the hard worken poeple. as we are the ones that vote and we are the ones the buy stuff and keep things going. with out us the gov. takes control. and the gov is controled by the rich. so no matter what we are all going to suffer unless we all stand up together and put a stop to it.

• Like 1

The problem with the health care reform is that it doesn't address the fundamental problem: The cost of medical care is too high. If the costs could come down, then insurance companies wouldn't have to pay out so much in claims and the premiums could be reduced. Most of the high costs can be blamed on pharmaceutical costs. Take a look (it's on the Internet) of what the CEOs of those companies earn. The LOWEST paid CEO makes over 6 million dollars a year. Next is the amount paid for advertising the drugs. There should be NO advertising. You can't get the drugs without a doctor's prescription, and the doctor doesn't want YOU deciding which medicine is best for you. The next highest cost is the profits and salaries the insurance companies make. I'm certainly not opposed to doctors and other essential medical staff making money; they earn it because of all the education required to be in their position. But hospital administration costs are also out of hand. If you aren't working on saving lives or dealing with patients directly, then you shouldn't be commanding a ridiculously high salary.

The first thing that needs to be done by the government is to regulate profits and set reasonable limits that our society can afford. In other words, no more seven-figure salaries in the pharmaceutical and insurance field. Between high gas prices and high medical care costs, it will ruin America just trying to pay for all of it.

And the main problem with insuring everyone is that it will overload the system and be impossible to get treatment or appoointments because everyone will now be running to the doctor and overfilling our hospitals. That could diminish the quality of medical care we receive. Guess we'll have no choice but to ride it out and see what happens.

Plus 1 :D For a really good understanding of what's wrong with healthcare in America read Money Driven Medicine :thumbsup: Then you'll see why the approach taken by the current administration cannot work :closedeyes: The numbers given as to how many uninsured there are vastly under-reported :angry: I'd wager that 20% of us (and yes I'm one) cannot afford a health care policy that would do me much good. How many here want to spend 20% of their income on health insurance? That's the numbers I've been quoted from several companies :o When I'm forced to buy a policy I'll have to have a substantial pay raise or become unemployed to get coverage under Medicaid :huh: Since the raise won't be forthcoming you see where this will lead, for I am but one of millions.

But just dropping the idea doesn't work either- I'll still have no way to obtain the health care I need :crybaby:

I hear many insurance companies griping that the current plan will cause their rates to go up, yet just a few years ago they said that the reason rates were increasing is that their customer base was shrinking, and if they could sell more policies the rates would go down. Pardon me, but in which instance were they lying- then or now? Obviously the insurance companies cannot be trusted. Nor can the scalawags we put in political offices :bash:

The only workable solution is to end the excessive profits that medicine in America generates and force a return to the motivation of medicine being only a genuine desire to help and heal, not as a way to make large sums of money B)

If it takes nationalized healthcare to accomnplish that goal then so be it. Right now I will wait and see what comes of it all.

Bettypooh

• Like 1