LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Mental Illness

Kari

Mental Illness  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Deal With A Mental Illness?

I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder about 10 years ago.

All my life I have always felt "different".

I had an attraction to diapers when I was still in my playpen as a toddler.

I can't say that my fetish for diapers ( or other things as well) are a direct cause of mental illness.

What I'm getting at is if I have fellow AB/DL's with not only a "thing" for diapers.

But some kind of mental illness that interferes with their lives.

• Like 2

Okay I'm unsure how to answer this one. I've dealt with depression in the past for myself personally. I believe based on research that I may have a mild form of borderline personality disorder and have a roommate with DID. I guess in all fronts I am always dealing with mental issues.

Guest ilovebunnies

I was diagnosed with ocd and bipolar. I dont feel my ab side has anything to do with my mental differences. I think maybe the same chemical difference could possibly have an affect as to why I am ab. For example. My ocd is based on fear and my constant need to make things safer. I participate in abdl fantasy as a way to feel safer. Maybe theres is something wired in the brain differently that affects the fear areas. Just a thought..... Anyways, I could think of so many ways as to how non-fetish mental problems and fetishes could be linked. Although i dont consider my ab side a fetish at all, being I dont even like sex.

Guest Chriskc

I'm bipolar, took me awhile to accept it. Unfortuntley me being bipolar and not accepting it made me lose my gf/mommy. We were together for 5 years. I know what led me to being ab, I was abused mentally and physically, by both mom and dad. I'm doing the best that I can, at the recconmendation of my doctors I'm waiting to see if I get disability.

Feel free to ask or tell me anything. I enjoy chatting with like minded people, after all you're not going to go on a sports website and talk about diapers and being a adult baby.

I have been diagnosed with:

Chronic (mono-polar)depression.

PTSD.

Schizoaffective disorder.

Aspergers Syndrome.

Anorexia Nervosa.

BIID.

I don't know that I agree with all of these diagnoses, but they do help explain some of the difficulties I have with many aspects of my life on a regular basis. I think that my wetting and wearing is only indirectly connected.

• Like 1

Yes, I deal with horrible manic depression. I know technically it is the same thing as bi-polar but I view it as very different.

I go through these great periods of euphoria and creativeness. I will brainstorm wild ideas, create masterpieces of artwork and believe that i can do anything. Then, out of the blue, it hits me; I feel insurmountable sadness and despair. I can't do anything productive and I find no joy in anything except for diapers, which helps me through allot of it. It always seems like it hits me during the night or in the middle of winter time. I need to move somewhere warm. I live right on one of the great lakes.

I've been diagnosed as several different things, but I don't acknowledge 'mental illness' in any case but the most severe. Most applications of psychiatry are of little more use than a hill of beans to the average person. Give it about 100 years and it might be worth something...

• Like 1

My diagnosis' in regards to the DSM IV TR are co-morbid disorders related to my movement condition. While they are considered a psychiatric disorder they are in no way an illness and 90% of the time do not interfere with my day to day functions.

on another note.. i am completely Mental! :P

• Like 1

Another fun fact, if you go to a therapist they WILL diagnose you with something. They are the one health profession where there is no benefit to making you healthy. Just be wary when your therapist hands you a list of diagnoses that are longer than your grocery list.

Again with pills, not gonna happen on my end, if I;m gonna be made stupid by meds, I'll do more fun ones.

• Like 1

an actual therapist cannot diagnosis you with much, however if you want your insurance to pay for the therapist then the therapist HAS to give you a DX of some sort that fits the qualifications of your insurance company,... no DX.. no coverage for the sessions... its like you can't just go to the doctor once a week and have them check you out and keep expecting your insurance company to pay for it.. you have to actually have something wrong.

• Like 1

i dealt with major depression when i was younger. it is not so bad now just the occasional dysphoria like anyone else. i also found out when i was 17 that i have really bad add, i just learned to live with it never took meds for it and probably never will. on a side note i hate labels and i really hate when people use there label as an excuse for there actions.

i dealt with major depression when i was younger. it is not so bad now just the occasional dysphoria like anyone else. i also found out when i was 17 that i have really bad add, i just learned to live with it never took meds for it and probably never will. on a side note i hate labels and i really hate when people use there label as an excuse for there actions.

I agree completely.

• 3 weeks later...

I have various things wrong with me but I am not sick.

I have been diagnosed with anorexia in 2007 but I don't have it. I have an eating disorder NOS. Technically an eating disorder is a mental illness so I voted yes.

I used to have depression but not anymore. I don't know if that is considered an illness.

could the over sensitive ones get over themselves please? Nothing written here deserved a negative score, well maybe the last post but it was a joke, so cutting some slack. Most insurance companies will grant up to eight visits before a diagnosis is required for continued treatment. I used to work for Anthem Wellpoint in their behavioral health department so if you have bluecorss and yor plan carries mental health benefits you have 8 free ones before the doc has to diagnose you with something and present a treatment plan. The problems we always had were the shrinks who had a "God complex" and resented having to file paper work or show us they have an actual plan for treatment. Most shrinks were pretty cool, except when they would tell us too much info, we just needed diagnosis not patient's personal history. You can go to a shrink just to clear your head without having to be diagnosed, however in the states thanks to social workers and other people who have to be an irritant to justify their existence, kids are forced onto ADD or ADHD meds when they don't need it and anti-depressants are given to people regardless of their psychological condition. Your paranoid, here's some wellbutrin, bpd here's some more wellbutrin, Psychosis, well by golly here's some more wellbutrin. What happened to addressing issues? It seems to be a bit of a joke and I don't like the concept of just numbing people with medication, rather than help them deal with issue. I believe those with anxiety issues and the such should be given meds to bring them to a calming state and hten their issues should be addressed, not numbed away.

• Like 1

could the over sensitive ones get over themselves please? Nothing written here deserved a negative score, well maybe the last post but it was a joke, so cutting some slack. Most insurance companies will grant up to eight visits before a diagnosis is required for continued treatment. I used to work for Anthem Wellpoint in their behavioral health department so if you have bluecorss and yor plan carries mental health benefits you have 8 free ones before the doc has to diagnose you with something and present a treatment plan. The problems we always had were the shrinks who had a "God complex" and resented having to file paper work or show us they have an actual plan for treatment. Most shrinks were pretty cool, except when they would tell us too much info, we just needed diagnosis not patient's personal history. You can go to a shrink just to clear your head without having to be diagnosed, however in the states thanks to social workers and other people who have to be an irritant to justify their existence, kids are forced onto ADD or ADHD meds when they don't need it and anti-depressants are given to people regardless of their psychological condition. Your paranoid, here's some wellbutrin, bpd here's some more wellbutrin, Psychosis, well by golly here's some more wellbutrin. What happened to addressing issues? It seems to be a bit of a joke and I don't like the concept of just numbing people with medication, rather than help them deal with issue. I believe those with anxiety issues and the such should be given meds to bring them to a calming state and hten their issues should be addressed, not numbed away.

I fully endorse this post.

i have been diagnosed with depression for years and have taken meds for it .In my opinion they have helped ! of course i had to try differnt ones to see what worked best .The ones i am on now do the job if i stop taking them which i have at times i crash very hard !. :badmood: .Also in that respct it is not that i can not handle life because i can and have done very well, it's just that i needed a little help along the way as we all do !! :thumbsup:

Heh, I've noticed since I haven't been taking my hormone meds consistently due to short supply and lack of affordability I am a bit out of control at times emotionally. I did some research on BPD and refuse to talk to a doctor since all they're going to do is just prescribe me anti-depressants. That's not helping me, that's drugging me beyond comprehension.

I believe those with anxiety issues and the such should be given meds to bring them to a calming state and hten their issues should be addressed, not numbed away.

I quite agree with this. There are many illness that definitely need to be treated with pharmaceuticals first, simply to allow the individual to return to a state whereupon s/he can then begin addressing the underlying issues.

for some illness however sometimes no amount of behavioral therapy will help as there are no 'underlying' issues. For example schizophrenia, while technically classified as a psychological illness, without medication the person will have psychotic episodes (course they could even WITH medication, but it helps greatly for the most part) and while behavioral therapy can help for some in regards to teaching proper hygiene and other skills they may never have learned it could never help with the schizophrenia itself. There are some anxiety disorders which behavioral therapy also cannot help as it is much more a mind wired differently way, however for others instead of behavioral therapy meditation and other 'alternative' techniques can help to stave off an anxiety/panic attack.

Also, for someone with obsessive / compulsive disorder, behavioral therapies may be beneficial in reducing compulsions and certain obsessive thoughts, but often the behavioral therapies will do no good with the obsessive thoughts, or the therapies would be incredibly costly and or time consuming and so one opts for pharmaceuticals instead.

But that being said, i do agree, medications are not always the be all and end all, and while they have their benefits so do many alternative forms of treatment as well.

That is why it is important to find a therapist and/or physician who is willing to explore all treatment options and not only agree to pharmaceutical treatments.

• Like 2

I quite agree with this. There are many illness that definitely need to be treated with pharmaceuticals first, simply to allow the individual to return to a state whereupon s/he can then begin addressing the underlying issues.

for some illness however sometimes no amount of behavioral therapy will help as there are no 'underlying' issues. For example schizophrenia, while technically classified as a psychological illness, without medication the person will have psychotic episodes (course they could even WITH medication, but it helps greatly for the most part) and while behavioral therapy can help for some in regards to teaching proper hygiene and other skills they may never have learned it could never help with the schizophrenia itself. There are some anxiety disorders which behavioral therapy also cannot help as it is much more a mind wired differently way, however for others instead of behavioral therapy meditation and other 'alternative' techniques can help to stave off an anxiety/panic attack.

Also, for someone with obsessive / compulsive disorder, behavioral therapies may be beneficial in reducing compulsions and certain obsessive thoughts, but often the behavioral therapies will do no good with the obsessive thoughts, or the therapies would be incredibly costly and or time consuming and so one opts for pharmaceuticals instead.

But that being said, i do agree, medications are not always the be all and end all, and while they have their benefits so do many alternative forms of treatment as well.

That is why it is important to find a therapist and/or physician who is willing to explore all treatment options and not only agree to pharmaceutical treatments.

I've had former friends, two to be exact who were schizophrenic and both caused bodily harm to those around them and property damage to me, so I do agree that certain issues require medicine or isolation in order to be treated. I just don't agree with the abuse of add/adhd meds and anti-depressants.

Well saying it's in my head is like telling me I am imagining all my problems and I am being a hydroponic. (What's the word?) You wouldn't tell someone who is dying of cancer their sickness is all in their head. It be like telling them they are faking it and imagining it. It's bad enough people are already saying conditions are made up and not real so saying it's all in our head was sure a bad joke. I am sure there are people out there who assume people with eating disorders just choose to starve themselves. We don't decide one day "Oh I am going to have an eating disorder so starting now I will no longer eat normally." It doesn't work that way. I used to think if they wanted to eat again, just start eating again but after having one now I have learned it doesn't work that way. They do want to eat but they are afraid to. So that's why they say they can't eat. They are afraid of getting fat.

psychological - disorders of mental processes... as mental processes take place in the brain which is in the head..... then "it is all in your head" was a joke, a play on words, a witty remark is all.... it was not to imply a person was 'making something up' .....

a positive correlation has been found in multiple research studies to suggest that a person who laughs more will be healthier, physically and psychologically..... this includes being able to find amusing things in one's own life and with their own unique challenges...

so learning to laugh at oneself can have quite a good effect on ones overall health.

• Like 1