LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Doctors And Incontinence

I go to a family clinic, so I don't always get the same doctor. But I've been to all of them more than once. Yet there are three that always ask "why are you wearing these?" (Can't they even say the word?) I always come up with a funny quip before reminding them that my medical notes include the fact that I'm incontinent, and allergic to disposable diapers, and therefore wear gauze prefold diapers exclusively. I think they're embarrassed to say the word "diaper" when it comes to adults, and don't want to deal with those issues. Maybe they think those issues are for urologists. I am convinced that urologists, for the most part, are sadistic. I had one who didn't believe I was incontinent back when I was in my early twenties. She put a balloon in my bladder, blew it up to see when it would register pain, and tore my bladder! Thank you very much you sadistic . . . person! My mother-in-law is incontinent now and she says her doctor can't call a diaper a diaper either. He tells her she can take off her pads. She wears the attends underwear diaper, or whatever. Do you have the same problems?

My Urologists suggested an internal exam, and put a long skinny camera up inside me. End result, I retain too much urine, causing my Overactive Bladder problem. But he also left a staff infection that almost killed me. In the past I have been treated poorly by nurses who think incontinence is an age disorder. Only for the very young or the very old. No one in the medical field has ever called my cloth diapers, diapers. It just is not politically correct. Yes, I, also have been told that disposable pads are the best. However I have been treated by good nurses who understand, and my current doctor who uses humor when seeing me in my diapers and plastic pants to make me feel better. I no longer go to a Urologist.

I think that you have got the wrong end of the stick here. It is not that medical staff are unable to say the word 'diaper', it is that they do not wish to embarass the paitent. A lot of people are very self contious about needing to wear diapers or other forms of protection for incontinence, so it is still a very taboo and sensitive subject.

Here, just for you...

DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR, DIAPERS, NAPPIES, DIDIES, BABY UNDERWEAR,

Does that make you happy? :P

I was once in a hospital in which a woman had soiled her diaper. and a nurse said "Uh oh, it's time to change your didee!" in a very insultingly babyish sing-song manner (it was astonishingly unprofessional).

I've occasionally seen adult diapers labeled as "diapers" on their cabinets in the halls and examination rooms (usually they're labeled as pads, attends, or depends).

After passing out in the cold and succumbing to hypothermia, shortly after awakening (in a a delirium) at the hospital, a doctor asked me (after being gowned and prepped by the nurses) if I was wearing a diaper. I should have said "I should be," which would have allowed me to live out a fantasy I've had of being diapered and changed at the hospital, but in my impaired state I foolishly said "no".

I have been seeing my urologist for quite a few years now, she has no trouble calling them diapers. I have urge incontinence / OAB and it is noted in my medical records. I have been in the ER and changed which is always nice to be dry when the rest of you is not well. I am a diabetic which is the cause of most of my problems. My urologist is a female and I choose her cause in my experience most females are more sensitive people.

I had an older nurse in the hospital tell me that I was too young to need diapers. It really makes you self conscious about being changed. especially by her. But I have also had great nurses who treat you completely normally.

I was once in a hospital in which a woman had soiled her diaper. and a nurse said "Uh oh, it's time to change your didee!" in a very insultingly babyish sing-song manner (it was astonishingly unprofessional).

Some paitents, usually those suffering from memory degenerative diseases, are treated according to their cognitive ability. This is to get the paitent to use their memory and therefore curtail the degregation of their mind. To the casual observer, it may seem that a paitent is being treated as a baby, with baby talk etc, but it is to the benifit of the paitent.

I've occasionally seen adult diapers labeled as "diapers" on their cabinets in the halls and examination rooms (usually they're labeled as pads, attends, or depends).

Due to the stigma associate with adult diapers, storage bins in public view use the obvious but misdirective naming standard. Most people seeing 'Diapers' label would incorrectly assume that storage area would contain baby diapers, yet if 'Depends' or 'Adult Protection' was the label, no misdirection would ensue.

Just because you are an AB/DL doesn't mean that what you understand everyone else would. Take the letters AB. Most here assume that means Adult Baby, but it can also mean 'Limited' as in Agfa Gevart AB. Simply, what you assume based on your knowledge is not always correct, because your knowledge base could be different than average.

• Like 1

My Urologists suggested an internal exam, and put a long skinny camera up inside me. End result, I retain too much urine, causing my Overactive Bladder problem. But he also left a staff infection that almost killed me.

When I was a teen I had a valve put in so I wouldn't have to wear diapers, but at eighteen my body began to reject the mechanism and that was not only painful, but deadly. Just about every time somebody puts a catheter in me I end up with a staff infection too. I've developed a line for people who want to catheterize me. "You put that in me and I'll shove the other end so far up your ass I'll be able to pee out your nostrils!" I understand!

....I am convinced that urologists, for the most part, are sadistic....

I am convinced that it not just urologists sad.gif I have seen more than a few doctors but only a very few of them have any sympathy for physical suffering huh.gif Perhaps it's because doctors are generally healthy so they don't know what it feels like on a personal level. Whatever the reason they just don't seem to get it and it shows. Incompetence also plays a role here. When they were trying to diagnose my colon polyps I was given an ultrasound scan by a RN with "decades of experience" according to her. Instead of slowly pressing the probe down and sliding it along she was jabbing me with it- and each jab produced a blood-curdling scream from me. About three minutes into this torture a Doctor happened by and heard me so he looked at her technique and took over. Doing it correctly it still hurt but was tolerable. This dumb nurse could have killed me by causing my bloated intestines to burst angry.gif There are some people who don't want to be in a secluded place with only me around and she's one of them. When you won't learn the easy way you will learn the hard way ninja.gif

...."You put that in me and I'll shove the other end so far up your ass I'll be able to pee out your nostrils!"....

Since the above and other experiences I have adopted a similar technique in which I make it clear that I am in charge of what gets done to me and how it will be done, NOT them, and if they want to see the sun rise again they'll dam* well listen to me. I am not hesitant to tell any health care provider to get the he!! away from me and get somebody in there who is actually competent and knows how to do the job. It wakes them up quite well and when I explain to their replacement that I am as knowledgable about the procedure as they are I get proper care. I don't care who gets offended or angry- when you're doing something which endangers someone else needlesly I am going to actively stop you no matter what it takes or how long it takes for me to do it.

Incompetence should never be tolerated at any point and nobody should be doing something they do not understand well enough to do the job right. Humans do make mistakes but stupidity and/or laxity is always totally unforgivable bash.gif

Bettypooh

I go to a family clinic, so I don't always get the same doctor. But I've been to all of them more than once. Yet there are three that always ask "why are you wearing these?" (Can't they even say the word?) I always come up with a funny quip before reminding them that my medical notes include the fact that I'm incontinent, and allergic to disposable diapers, and therefore wear gauze prefold diapers exclusively. I think they're embarrassed to say the word "diaper" when it comes to adults, and don't want to deal with those issues. Maybe they think those issues are for urologists. I am convinced that urologists, for the most part, are sadistic. I had one who didn't believe I was incontinent back when I was in my early twenties. She put a balloon in my bladder, blew it up to see when it would register pain, and tore my bladder! Thank you very much you sadistic . . . person! My mother-in-law is incontinent now and she says her doctor can't call a diaper a diaper either. He tells her she can take off her pads. She wears the attends underwear diaper, or whatever. Do you have the same problems?

Let me just say I am with you on this. I had to switch my general practicer, because of several reason, but I go to a clinic too, but they are afraid to use the word "diaper" in fear someone would make fun of the,. (I guess.) I always here pad, or something like that. When I went to a urioglist, they used "pad" too. I think when people say diaper, they think babies. They don't want eldery people to feel like babies. My new doctor is so supportive and helps me through it. Anyways, I agree with you. I don't know why they can't say diaper, but I can. lol

Go to any nursing home also and they will not call them diapers. They are instructed to call them pads, not diapers as they feel this is demeaning to the patient. A lot of incontinent supply companies I have called also do not call them diapers but briefs. One person even asked since I was using the word diaper, if it was alright to say diaper. I said I don't care because to me that's what they are and you're not going to hurt my feelings saying diaper.

As far as the doctors go, they see hundreds of patients a week I'm sure and even though you've seen them a couple times, I think it's unreasonable for you to expect they'll remember you wear a diaper. How often do you see them, a couple times a year if that maybe? Now if you went once a month or so then yeah, I could see after about the 4th time I'd expect them to somewhat remember. Think about a relative you see once or twice a year. You may forget a charactaristic about them because you don't see them often enough whether it be a scar, laugh, style, limp, whatever. So anyway, as far as the doctors not saying diaper, they may be instructed not to and get caught a little off gaurd, wouldn't you? I understand they are suppose to be professionals but this may be there outside of work life speaking, like "OMG this guy has a diaper on!!" and they blurt something out. I also think doctors get in the Drone Zone where they see the same thing, day after day, blah, blah, blah here's a prescription for your cold and then you show up in a diaper, WHOA! Even a urologist may not see that many people wearing a diaper. Doctors are everyday people too and a twenty something in a diaper may suprise them as it would most people. I personally am not a real fan of most doctors because I feel they are in the drone zone, give you a generic response to your problem because they've heard it a thousand times and automatically think it's x but never check for y, hand you a prescription to make you feel better like they did there job, and boot you out the door after you've waited for them for an hour. Then they are quick to charge you $130 for a 3 minute visit with the actual doctor. Pisses me off!

Hey, any of you go to the doctor with a baby print diaper, cloth or disposable on? What'd they say?

Hey, any of you go to the doctor with a baby print diaper, cloth or disposable on? What'd they say?

Go with a Disposible Attends Fitted plastic backed and 3 tapes each side.

My chart says I was sent to a uroligist a few times since they wrote a refural to go.

I am sure it also states I have enlarged prostate and a problem! My old doc at the same place said she was sending me back again since it is not the norm for a person my age to have what I have.

I went back and they said the same thing! That they had ran all the test and I have Urge/OAB and the meds make me sick so wear protection like I have been.

My new Doctor says nothing about it just askes what else can she help me with while there.

Went due to being sick and after that was taken care of said it was time again for my yearly test PSA,compleate blood testing for a few other things as well.

It is my problem to handle as I see fit. If I would have wanted to try some other route I would have told her while there.

I have 'Muppet Show' plastic pants that I got online as few years ago, and whenever I need to get a physical, I wear them over my diapers. I really love watching medical personal squirm with embarrasement when they examine me. FYI, I got the term 'incontinence' and all references to me needing diapers removed from my personal medical files just to add a little more spice.

Bettypooh,

I admire you and all who are interested enough in their own medial needs to find out all about ther procedures and how you don't treat your Doctor etc as Gods. If a person is incapable of performing a procedure - they shouldnt be doing it. That is not just my opinion - it is the law. When I go to see a doctor, I see the doctor, not his/her lackie that has no experience, and is supposed to be supervised. Would you get into a aircraft with a trainee pilot at the controls - I'm sure that no-one except an instructor would do something that silly - yet people routinely let a trainee perform life threating procedures on them without supervision. If this trainee made a fatal error, would you be around to sue, and even if it did not kill you, what amount of money is worth you losing a limb etc - I'd have to say NONE. I'd prefer the limb etc, and the job done right or not at all.

Although I wouldn't mind that, since I have infantile issues, it was unprofessional. Occasionally I volunteer at the convalescent hospital near my home. I get to know a patient before I decide just how they want to be addressed. Most of my patients love it when I come in because I hug them, and check their diapers often, hold their hands, sit and talk to or with them, and sometimes sit and read to them. The nurse was probably one of those "mommy" types.

• 6 years later...

I personaly do not really care what its called, diapers pads protections, breifs, whatever. Its not really that big a deal. Yes I do kinda feel a diaper is a diaper is a diaper, but, considering the social implications of that word, I can see very well why many dislike it. I also have to agree, most people that are IC do not want to be, thay do not want to have to wear protection, and thay do not want to call them diapers, or anything of the sort. Thay would rather have on regular undies, and not to have the problem at all. Now I would also have to say that such is not how all who are IC are. There are some that have realized that its eather wet pants/beds or diapers, and then figured to hell with it, and went with having fun with it, rather than making it a most hated part of there lives. No that does not mean thay become diaper lovers or AB, just means that some will do things like get the printed plastic pants and diapers and stuff.