LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

A Reason To Celebrate

State number 5!

Maine to allow same-sex marriage

Gay marriage is to be permitted in the US state of Maine after a bill was passed by both houses of the state's legislature and signed by the governor.

Maine will be the fifth US state to allow gay marriage, after Connecticut, Masschusettes, Iowa and Vermont.

A number of other states, including New Hampshire and New York, are also due to consider proposals to legalise it.

Earlier this week, Washington DC's city council passed a law to recognise gay marriages performed in other states.

The issue is a controversial topic in the US, and many states have passed bills and constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.

But in the north-eastern US, momentum has begun to favour supporters of gay marriage.

Maine's lower house approved the gay marriage bill by 89 votes to 57, and the state senate voted 21-13 in favour.

Maine's governor, Democrat John Baldacci, had previously been opposed to gay marriage, but changed his mind when faced with the bill.

"I have read many of the notes and letters sent to my office, and I have weighed my decision carefully," he said in a statement.

"I did not come to this decision lightly or in haste."

New Hampshire's governor is set to face a similar decision shortly.

Both houses of the state's legislature have approved a bill granting gay couples the right to marry.

In California, a similar bill was passed in 2005, but was blocked by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last year, California voters backed a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in a referendum, although the constitutionality of the vote is still being fought over in court.

Ever since AIDS reared it ugly head in the early 80s I have wondered why "straight " people would do anything to deny someone the right to a monagamus relationship. I mean they don't want the promiscuity of gay bathhouses but they won't allow a sustained relationship either. Maybe they should try abstenince :angry:

Anondl

hell yeah maine!!!!

I was SOOOOO happy to hear that my home state is one of the first states to pass this bill... course now i have double as many weddings i have to attend for friends in the next few years!!!

I saw this without looking at the thread title. I clicked on "new post"!

I did not mean to offend anyone.

To explain things better, I have passions too. For instance, there are Confederate flags and anti-Obama stickers on my vehicles. I have no problems going to a redneck bar! Let someone with a rainbow on the back window go to a redneck bar and they will have problems! (This does not mean it is right.) If I was to drive in to a hip-hop bar, I would be in serious trouble so I don't go to hip-hop bars.

I am straight but there is a proper time and place for everything. I don't consider it proper to do certain things with my wife in public. We don't do sexual things in public.

Marriage is stereotypically tied to procreation. This becomes difficult for gay folks. I believe this is why gay marriage is a taboo subject.

Again this is America. You can do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home!

Ok ya gotta look at it like this... I think public displays of affection can be too much from either side BUT I think all should be able to hold hands, hug, or give the occasional smooch. I don't wanna see anyone gay or straight making out in public. But its a sense of pride to be able to say "I love this person and I'm proud of it". I love walking down the hall of the mall and holding my wife's hand and laughing and playing all sweet and cute. NO ONE should have to hide that. Isn't there a line in some song or movie that says ....."Love will conquer all!!" Anyway.....

Congratz Iowa! And the rest will follow, just wait. In 20 years we won't even have this conversation. It will be the social norm.

i think the quote as iowa goes so goes the nation was based on iowas history of firsts..

first state to legalize interaccial marriage

first state to allow women to own property

first state to admit women to the bar to practice law

and among the first states to lead the way towards desegregating public schools.

iowa has always been a progressive state, amidst the thought that it is a conservative midwestern state.

i say again GO IOWA

Ya know ya learn something new everyday. Thanks Sarah! Now I can't learn nothing else today!!! DAMNIT!!!! hehe