LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposables Vs. Cloth Diapers

what would be better?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. what diaper?

• Disposables
    • Cloth

Lets say you were expecting a baby (a real one now :) ). What would you go for? Of course when I think about it, cloth diapers are much better for our eco system then disposable in the long run, but I just cant get the feeling out of my head that simply disposable belong on a baby more than cloth. (I know this really doenst make much sense if you come right down to it). I would probably still stay with a disposable. Let me tell you why:

+

they are easier to change

they have the most awesome and cuttest crinkle :)

they look really cute too

I (and probably most of my generation and up) are more used to them. (please correct if Im wrong here)

-

disposables are more expensive in the long run

cloth diapers are more eco-friendly (man I dont like that tern :D )

cloth are more difficult to change (for instance when travelling)

I would really like to read your opinions on this matter. Do you think ultimatelly disposables will be replaced by cloth again? Because until like the 70s,80s there were only cloth diapers right?

Lets hopefully start an interesting topic :)

oh and btw. if some of you have kids already, PLEASE share your thoughts :) how did you go about this situation? that would be a great help. thanks :)

heres the thing about 'cloth are more eco friendly'

so with cloth yo have to do numerous loads of laundry which = water used, electricity used, detergent, softener, and dryer sheets used, so you have to then add in the energy used to manufacture those goods and have them delivered to the stores, along with the waste from those plastic containers which may or may not be recycled..

im wonderig if anyone has done any sort of cost analysis to find out if they truely are more 'eco' friendly.. especially with some companies actually coming out with biodegradable disposables, that can be added to a compost pile..... all you have to do are cut the tapes off and voila... compost....

but i'd probably do the disposable thing for convienence sake and i'd be so afraid i was going to stick the poor kid with the safety pin

I have.

Here in north FL electricity is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. My dryer measured 3.4 KW while running on high heat.

The cost to run my dryer is 34 cents per hour.

Water is expensive here but filling the washer is pennies.

The hot water tank is tagged at 3.3 KW so we are looking at 33 cents per hour to heat water. My hot water tank recovers in 20 minuets after filling the washer.

My washer could hold at leats 24 baby diapers. I use to wash my own with the kid's.

I never used pin on diapers on the kids. The kid's diapers had velcro. I use pins on myself.

You never use dryer sheets or fabric softener on diapers. Tide or Dreft brand works well. The detergent cost is minimal.

It is not that big of a deal to wash diapers. At 20 cents per disposable and washing at least 24 at a time, the cost savings are there.

I have pruchased 2 washers and 3 dryers in my lifetime. I am 51 now. I wore the first washer out. I replaced it. The first dryer I gave to my daughter because I converted to gas. The propane gas got expensive so I went back to electric.

heres the thing about 'cloth are more eco friendly'

so with cloth yo have to do numerous loads of laundry which = water used, electricity used, detergent, softener, and dryer sheets used, so you have to then add in the energy used to manufacture those goods and have them delivered to the stores, along with the waste from those plastic containers which may or may not be recycled..

im wonderig if anyone has done any sort of cost analysis to find out if they truely are more 'eco' friendly.. especially with some companies actually coming out with biodegradable disposables, that can be added to a compost pile..... all you have to do are cut the tapes off and voila... compost....

but i'd probably do the disposable thing for convienence sake and i'd be so afraid i was going to stick the poor kid with the safety pin

Guest Juni's Cute Baby Lucy

Yay this is my area of expertise, I have a son (3 years) and as soon as he was out of prem sizes he was in cloth.

No lets get rid of some rumours... Sarah... you mades me laugh! were velcro ones (I'll explain in a min) and others have funny little plastic clippy things... so no pin stabbing your child!

As far as being easier to use disposables... it's hardly any different... its hard to justify, but I can say that plenty of our frinds who didn't like the idea, are now, considering it for kiddie #2...

The Nappies we got come on two parts and inner cloth that is already sewn with extra padding in the middle, and you just fold (more like a pad) then the cloth covered plastic outer, which does up with Velcro at the front..

There are so many brands in the UK, but the ones we chose cost us about £100 for everything we needed (except liners) from "birth to potty". thats not even 6 months of disposables! This was the big thing, especially when in London we were on Water rates, so extra washes made little difference to the money.

I'm not sure about the eco friendly thing, I'd like to think they were better than disposables.... there are many organisation that claim to have done the calculations, and say that it really is better for the environment.... but who knows...

but what I do know is that it saved us a lot of money, and it was sooo much better for his very sensitive skin!

Oh and when it comes to child #2 and#3... we've already got the nappies! so much money saving!

Huggles

Lucy

P.S. I can't wait till I can get Cloth ones for myself!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't have enough privacy to store or throw away disposable diapers. Cloth, however, is easy to hide. Also, I was born in 1959 and brought up in cloth diapers, so that's what feels the most "normal" to me. It brings back the "good old days" when mothers didn't mind washing dirty diapers and rubber pants. They were full-time moms and didn't have their noses glued to those stupid smartphones instead of raising their kids.

Cloth: See my Review. I go in at length But here's a preview. "Disposables" are not disposed of, merely stored in a different place after use at taxpayer expense

How can four tapes, that you have to fuss with be easier to change than one or two pins I have tried both

All the persons I've talked to with home ec training have told me that cloth is cheaper in the long run. And everybody recommends using rubber panties over ALL diapers. Even the makers of the throw-aways

For me, everything about the throw-aways just reeks of "chintzy" and "the Great Unwashed". This was also the upshot of an article in Infantae Press TALES FROM THE CRIB; and that "...Those who were kept in disposable diapers as babies will have missed a wonderful experience"

It was not until the 1980's that they were even called diapeers, they were called for the most part by regular folks "pampers" in the 1970's

• 2 weeks later...

I tried cloth and did not like them, so I stayed with disposables for my daughter. Found it was easier and a lot more convenient when out and saved me time not having to do extra washing.

• Thanks 1

I am profoundly urinary incontinent. Therefore I need some kind of diaper 24/7. For bed at home I wear pinned gauze diapers and separate vinyl pull-on panties. Away from home or when I need to be discreet at home I wear disposables. Both kinds of diapers have uses.

Currently my 'go-to' disposable is the GoodNites Tru-Fit.

Edited by Angela Bauer
correct typo
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

disposable all the way. to me they're easier and quicker to change plus you don't have to worry about changing while out, and carrying a soiled diaper back home to wash. Yes disposables are pricier in the long run, but kind of worth it for convenience.

Currently I use disposables on my baby girl, but my own children who are all grown up all used cloth diapers and it did save money especially back when I was young and didn't have much money. I am seriously thinking about putting my baby girl into cloth diapers but have yet to do it.

• Like 1