DailyDi

iPhone  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an iPhone?

• Yes
    • Thinking About Getting One
    • Planning to buy the 3G version
    • No and not getting one.
  2. 2. Do you have a different web-capable phone?

• yes
    • no

Until Apple's deal with AT&T (who's poor customer service is only surpassed by Sprint) expires I probably won't be looking at an iPhone. AT&T's customer service is just terrible. In addition the sensitivity of the first gen iPhone was terrible, hopefully that problem has been fixed in the 2nd gen. My girlfriend bought one and returned it because the reception was so poor (and she lives in a major city with full coverage). It would constantly drop calls and the audio quality was spotty. When it worked, it worked well though. When it was working properly the audio quality was amongst the best I've heard out of a mobile phone. Unfortunately that didn't happen very often. More often then not you could hear the codec struggling.

Now that they've cut the price in half and added GPS, I'm thinking about getting one. The only thing that I don't know about is whether or not you have to get a data plan to get the GPS mapping function. WiFi is common enough that I'd prefer to skip the data plan and save the $30/month...

Psh. I've played with the iPod Touch and i adore it. The iPhone is like the same thing... except with a phone. And its thicker. It has a camera. I dont see many negatives, personally. I am on Sprint (getting off it in October, thankfully... it's truely the worst service) but there's no way i'd switch to AT&T. I'll wait until the iPhone comes out on a carrier that doesn't suck so bad. Then i'm so gonna buy it.

-Sophie

Iphones are just fashion and marketing if you ask me. I have a NOKIA and its just fine. And plus with the Iphone you pay for the brand and the price is WAY too expensive I think. But the technology is quite fascinating, no doubt about it.

With the initial release I'd have agreed but with the new pricing... take a look at how the iPhone compares to a crackberry or some other PDA based phone. It's VERY competitive. It's just unfortunate that it's with AT&T.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never really subscribed to the theory of having the power of a pc or laptop crammed into my phone complete with camera, MP3 player, etc etc etc. ITS A #($**# PHONE! Its bad enough that I have to be in instant contact via my phone and that students parents and my boss can call me at 10pm on the weekend without having to feel the need to check my email and such on the go. Given the prevalence of wifi, internet access pretty everywhere, etc. I just need and want a basic phone. I dont even want a camera on my phone. I have a CAMERA for that! I know, Im probably the exception in my age group, but I simply dont feel the need to buy the newest baddest most awesomest phone in existence just because it has a few new gadgets and at touch screen.

Besides, I've hated AT&T's service since they were Cingular. I will never go back to them. Verizon has its own issues, but its the best of the three major services in the US service wise.

In Canada Rogers will have an exclusive for the iPhone. The problem is Rogers is jacking up the price for the phone and excessive rate plans. I'd love to buy an iPhone but I won't buy one under these circumstances.

Canada is well known for higher than average rates in comparison other countries. Also we have a small selection of cell phones. This due to a monopoly, there are only two main carriers.

Someday we will get real service.

i think the iphone is a cool little device, course i'm a pretty big apple fan. as for at&t, ive had nothing but good customer service from them, course i pay my bill on time every month, and take care of my phone so i've never had to call them for anything other than when i wanted to drop my extended nightsand weekends off my plan, which they did no problem...

I dont have an iphone though, because truth be told, i still can barely word an ipod. Ive got a cute little sony erickson, that has an mp3 player on it, if i ever decide i need to put music on my phone, and i could, if i wanted to , check my email, but the only time i use the internet option is to check the scores of a match i'm interested in.

But whenever we are at the mall, we stop into the apple store and fidget around with the iphones and the mac book air.

• 2 weeks later...