3. 3. what is your primary reasion for owning them

• hunting
    • sport
    • hobby
    • careere(LE or dealer)
    • self defence
    • n/a

On 2/13/2008 at 2:44 PM, Knuxie Fawks said:

Let me make clear. I'm not against owning a gun for defense. I'm against hunting.

I am not against hunting  invasive species like wild hogs.

They need to be hunted and taste good smoked as hams.

And they are much better to eat then domestic hogs as they have much fat that is not good for people.

On 4/13/2009 at 8:49 PM, rickibrat2 said:

own a few guns 2 of which need speical permits to have

there are for protection only i want no worry that if i have to use one the person will get back up once hit, no way with these.

What 2 guns would those be? They must be far more powerful than guns that fire common calibers.

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2018 at 5:00 AM, Lil Fox Scotty 91 said:

What 2 guns would those be? They must be far more powerful than guns that fire common calibers.

They could be, pistols for a concealed carry permit, destructive device permit (anything over .50 caliber), special ATF/State firearm law full auto permits. but since they're for protection its most likely a couple of handguns and he needs a pistol permit in some states and a concealed carry permit if he wants to carry it on his person or in his vehicle 

Personal view is that firearms are important for self defense, fighting against tyranny, and for hunting but like all important rights firearms require alot of self training and responsibility.

I may not own one but I do understand just how important that everyone should have the option to own a firearm if they want to.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MegaChar said:

I may not own one but I do understand just how important that everyone should have the option to own a firearm if they want to.

Except felons and those with mental disabilities, one reason I am for guns but also for some forms of gun control and regulations.  Look at the Sandy Hook school shootings.  Mom knew her adult son had mental issues but she bought a gun and taught him how to shoot it anyway.  It not only cost her her own life but the lives of 24 innocent 6 year old children.  I have guns myself and have no problem with sane responsible people owning them.  It's when felon's, murderers, gangs who do drive by shootings and random killings and mentally ill people have them that it's a problem.  Look at this.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/13/north-carolina-man-murder-darius-sessoms-cannon-hinnant/3370924001/  and the shooter was a felon too!  Yeah yeah, I know criminals and some mental patients will get guns somehow illegally if they really want them but we don't have to make it legal and easy for them to go in a gun store and buy one.

9 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Except felons and those with mental disabilities, one reason I am for guns but also for some forms of gun control and regulations.  Look at the Sandy Hook school shootings.  Mom knew her adult son had mental issues but she bought a gun and taught him how to shoot it anyway.  It not only cost her her own life but the lives of 24 innocent 6 year old children.  I have guns myself and have no problem with sane responsible people owning them.  It's when felon's, murderers, gangs who do drive by shootings and random killings and mentally ill people have them that it's a problem.  Look at this.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/13/north-carolina-man-murder-darius-sessoms-cannon-hinnant/3370924001/  and the shooter was a felon too!  Yeah yeah, I know criminals and some mental patients will get guns somehow illegally if they really want them but we don't have to make it legal and easy for them to go in a gun store and buy one.

And your also forgetting about those who are responsible with firearms. If everyone was made to own firearms then bad people would think twice about doing bad now would they. Having 4 or 5 firearms pointed at your "peashooter" is pretty good motivation to not rob that gas station or go into a nehborhood and find children since your life might be over if you continue your bad ways.

• Like 2

Don't forget all the people saved by armed individuals using guns responsibly, and in self defence. 

the Texas church shooting particularly comes to mind:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/church-shooting-texas/index.html

This is what we have the 2nd amendment for......

• Like 2
17 hours ago, MegaChar said:

And your also forgetting about those who are responsible with firearms. If everyone was made to own firearms then bad people would think twice about doing bad now would they. Having 4 or 5 firearms pointed at your "peashooter" is pretty good motivation to not rob that gas station or go into a nehborhood and find children since your life might be over if you continue your bad ways.

14 hours ago, square_duck said:

Don't forget all the people saved by armed individuals using guns responsibly, and in self defence. 

the Texas church shooting particularly comes to mind:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/church-shooting-texas/index.html

This is what we have the 2nd amendment for......

I don't think turning citizens into vigilantes is a good idea. And the whole idea about firearms saving lives seems backwards to me, if it isn't an outright lie. They were designed to kill something...or some one. Being squeamish about that fact serves no purpose.

I come from a place where in my youth hunting was a rite of passage. Boys took hunters' safety courses, and when they successfully completed the course, would go off into the mountains to hunt black tailed deer, or elk. You always knew when the first week end of hunting season was, because only little kids, old men, and women were in church. So I've no objection to hunting. 

It's vigilantism I object to.

Guess its more a poll for americans but oh well. I dont like them and dont want other people to own them. I dont trust people with them and allowing people to own them just makes it easy for criminals opr stupid people to get thier hands on them.

Still i think in like sweden (or a country near that not sure) a lot of peoples have guns but they dont have the problems americans have. So i guess it can be handeld in such a way that people can own them. But still im happy thats not really allowed in my country.

We all have strong ideas.  Some more than others.  I'm glad that this topic has remained civil so far.  Guns, politics and religion are three topics that can get out of hand and set off a fire storm!

I own rifles and shotguns that I use to put meat on my table to eat, I also own handguns for my own protection and the protection of my family, I would shoot at no one unless shot at first, than I will defend my life and the lives of my family. 

• Thanks 1

Jesus said "if you cant afford a sword, go sell your second cloak and buy one", swords were the most common weapon at the time for defense, today its guns, yes a gun can be used wrongly, but so can anything else, claiming you want guns out of the picture(not one person but in general) is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, guns are out there, they will always be, and trying to take them from those like us who obey the law only makes us criminals trying to keep what is rightfully ours, in property and rights, ive had to use my guns from time to time, thank God not on a human being, but given the state of society that might one day change, i hope not, but if any blm or antifa comes 'round these parts, assuming they make it to my lawn, i like my chances a lot more with me owning firearms than me not and relying on cops to get to me in time, and yes, guns can kill, when someone breaks into your home as has happened to others in the past, the home owners shot the intruders, thankfully killing said intruder, just as the case of a man who broke into a womans home and she had 2 kids with her, they went the attic to get away, she had the presence of mind to grab a gun first, he FOLLOWED THEM UP, so understandably she shot him in the chest. another woman just gave birth and lost her husband, 2 men was trying to break into her trailer, God knows what they had in mind but it wasnt to borrow a cup of sugar, she called 911, she knew the cops couldnt get there in time(i respect cops but the truth is they cant always get there in time, its not star trek where you tap a button and cops beam in in seconds), she put a bottle in the babys mouth to keep it calm, and trained a shotgun on the door, the first son of a bitch that got in got shot, dead- thank God, for her and the baby. the other ran off, i think he was caught later. without a gun, she might have been raped, and killed, baby killed too probably. guns are good, its the person you have to ask about. the gun is just a tool, no more evil than a screwdriver, drill, or whathaveyou, the first safety is between your ears, always remember that.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone:

I have NO PROBLEM with people owning guns, provided they are taught how to SAFELY use them, as in a Hunters or Gun Safety Course, and then ONLY if they are NOT a convicted felon or a person who has been adjudicated "incompetent" by a court of law.  We all know that there are people that are not supposed to have access to, own, or possess firearms, weapons, or ammunition, but regardless of what the LAW says, there are always ways to GET such weapons or ammo - This is because of the fact that there is a VAST underground network of places that you can get the illegal weapons/guns/ammo.

At 14 or 15. My Dad and my Uncles Lee and Jack taught me the proper way to handle a firearm.  The Firearm is a TOOL, and you need to be able to handle it so that you KNOW what the hell you are POINTING at/Targeting, and what you are SHOOTING at:  If you don't know what is around the target, or you don't have a CLEAR view of what you are shooting at, I was taught that you should keep the SAFETY engaged, and scout the area around your target to make SURE you know what you are shooting at:  Was always taught that:

1.  Guns are to be locked in appropriate cabinetry, gun locks on, ammo stored separate from the firearms.

2.  Guns are to be considered "LOADED" at ALL times

3.  If you are sighting down a firearm, or are pointing it at something or someone, that the INTENTION and BELIEF of people should be that the gunholder is gonna FIRE at an object:  NEVER leave a firing "line" to check a target when someone is holding a weapon, preparing it for firing.

4.  NEVER shoot a GUN in the air, unless you are trying to signal for help

5.  Follow all instructions of the people that are around you: be alert for things that may NOT be safe when you are on a firing range or in a practice area.

6.  NEVER aim at anything you do not intend to fire at: meaning: Do not shoot your weapons in the air wildly, and don't shoot birds or anything else you do NOT intend to kill.

7.  When you get done shooting, put the safety ON, and when carrying the weapon, point the muzzle at the GROUND, so you are not likely to lose control of the weapon due to a misfire

8.  Assume if someone draws or is POINTING a weapon, that they intend to use an unholstered weapon.

9.  Unload or unchamber weapon ammo in situations where the safety of others makes it necessary. 

10.  Engage Safety when not being used or being carried.

I have used the following weapon types:

Recurve Bow (Practice and Field Tips)

Daisy 760 Pumpmaster Air Rifle (bb Rifle) / Daisy bb Pistol)

.22 Rifle / .22 Pistol (My Dad's Weapons)

Glock 9 / .45 caliber Automatic Pistol (Dan's Service Weapon Coastguard and ANG Issue)

.22 Rifle (Modified for use as a paintball weapon)

.357 Magnum (Fired 10+ rounds)

I may be disabled, and I may not have a hunting license, but these weapons were used either on my Dad's property, or at our Hunting Camp in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.  I have grown up around guns, Ammo knives, etc, and have learned a lot about them.  I don't personally own any guns, but if I wanted to shoot them, I am sure that one call to my brother Dan, and I could use any weapons he has access to, and I may even be able to fire an AR-15 - I was taught to RESPECT the weapon, and remember that YOU have to be RESPONSIBLE as a gun USER and owner, and I am sure that my brother will TEACH the proper use of weapons to his stepson and daughter.

I am GLAD that Dad and Jack taught us about how to shoot and take care of weapons safely - with this training, I am able to be safer and more aware of what is supposed to be done when dealing with them ;)

Brian

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, spoonchicken said:

If guns kill people, then I guess pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and utensils make people fat

And rock music makes people worship Satan.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, spoonchicken said:

If guns kill people, then I guess pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and utensils make people fat

Good point!  It's not the guns that kill people unless they are used to beat someone to death.  it's the bullets.  They will only kill people due to the person firing the bullets from the gun at someone else, the same as the graphite in the pencil misspelling words is being guided by the hand of an illiterate, the car weaving all over the road is being controlled by someone who's drunk and the person getting fat is the one using the utensils to shovel food into his or her face.  That's why I said control the people who are not responsible enough or who are not mentally capable to own guns.  It's not the guns, knives, bullets or weapons that cause the problem.  It's the people who don't know how to handle them, are irresponsible, not sane or are convicted felons and criminals who have already taken an innocent life with their guns who shouldn't be allowed to have them, first amendment rights and all from a constitution back in the 1700's when people only had muskets and not AK-47's and 38 magnums.  That's the bases of the gun issue and problems.  Not the guns, the fact that some people believe that everyone should be allowed to have them and use them regardless of their past background or mental issues.  Nothing wrong with your 38 magnum as long as you are qualified to use it and use it safely, not because you have a mental problem and kill innocent people and kids or you are a gang member who fires from their car in a drive by shooting that hits innocent bystanders and children not intended to die.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, spoonchicken said:

I'm loath to wade in on this, because I know it's a very polarizing topic, and my thoughts are unlikely to change anyone's mind, but are likely to elicit nasty responses. First of all, it's almost none of my business what you folks do via your gun laws, being as I am, a neighbour of yours to the North. However, we do get some spill-over from your policies, in so far as we have the world's longest undefended boarder, and while its supposed to be hard to bring guns over, in practice, it seems to happen. That's an "us" problem, though, not a "you" problem, because it's Canada's boarder agents who let people in from the US; you don't submit to a search when you leave a free country. But apparently people do make it across with guns, because in our gun crime stats, a large number of the weapons involved originated in the US. 

Which dovetails with my next point, being that, while it is true that a gun, by itself, can't kill anyone (maybe unless heated to a great degree...), the presence of guns, and easy, unfettered access to them, correlates heavily with two things - first of all, of course, gun-related crimes and gun-related injuries, but, second to that, an overall increase in the homicide and suicide rates, suggesting that easy access to weapons makes people more likely to choose a weapon as a tool for doing whatever - settling an argument, robbing a gas station, securing a parking spot at Costco at Christmas, ending their pain. 

Countries with free access to guns have much higher homicide rates than countries that don't have free access to them, and a country like Canada, where it's arguably easier to buy an airplane than it is to buy a gun, but where guns are relatively easy to get illegally, falls in the middle - we have higher gun crime stats than most of Europe, for example, but they are still much, much lower than in the US. Toronto, the largest Canadian city, and the 4th largest city in North America, after Mexico city, New York city, Los Angeles, and being just a hair larger than Chicago, has a homicide rate, including guns and every other way there is to kill someone, that would be on par with a small mid-western city in the US. Chicago has a higher homicide rate, and higher homicide numbers overall, than all of Canada put together. 

This can't be pinned entirely on access to guns, but that is one of the major differences, for sure. It is possible to own a gun in Canada, but it takes a lot of time and effort, courses and background checks, and you are subject to continual scrutiny regarding lawful storage and transport, and even minor criminal infractions immediately disqualify you. So it's hard to impulsively acquire a gun in Canada, unless you associate with gangsters in a major city, and, most people who have guns are serious about gun ownership. All of which makes it a lot less likely that you'll be shot or shot at in Canada, compared with the US, but also, less likely that you'll be stabbed or bludgeoned with a hammer as well - it's a strange phenomenon. Some psychology studies have shown that people who have guns on their person tend to be bolder (surprise), and more likely to engage in conflict, however minor, just because the gun is there. Guns may actually encourage violence in some people, even if it doesn't end up being gun violence, because the gun is a last-resort go-to option, somewhat like rock climbing while wearing a rope, versus not having a rope. People with ropes take more chances. 

That said, I think Americans are for the most part lovely people, and I have enjoyed the company of responsible gun owners who have welcomed me into their homes over the years, and I think you folks should go ahead and do whatever you all agree to do about guns. But I'm glad that Canada has chose the path we are on. That's my two cents. 

• Like 1

Just a thought.  People say they have their guns to protect and defend themselves.  From other people who are trying to use guns against them?  Don't get me wrong.  I think having guns is good, I am not against it and yes, handy to have for defense if someone is coming after you with a gun, knife and randomly shooting people (because they have a mental issue).  I have a concealed permit myself.  I just have to say perhaps we wouldn't need so many guns to defend ourselves in our homes or out on the street if there weren't so many guns available to people who shouldn't have them, the gangs, criminals and mentally ill.  The point is, when people use the argument that they need guns to defend themselves, it works both ways.  If some people didn't have those guns, we wouldn't have as big a need to defend ourselves from them in the first place.

8 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Just a thought.  People say they have their guns to protect and defend themselves.  From other people who are trying to use guns against them?  Don't get me wrong.  I think having guns is good, I am not against it and yes, handy to have for defense if someone is coming after you with a gun, knife and randomly shooting people (because they have a mental issue).  I have a concealed permit myself.  I just have to say perhaps we wouldn't need so many guns to defend ourselves in our homes or out on the street if there weren't so many guns available to people who shouldn't have them, the gangs, criminals and mentally ill.  The point is, when people use the argument that they need guns to defend themselves, it works both ways.  If some people didn't have those guns, we wouldn't have as big a need to defend ourselves from them in the first place.

I've always believed that it doesn't matter what they use, a criminal who wants to do harm to others is going to use anything and everything they can get their hands on. My having a gun on my hip doesn't change that. One thing that I wish would change with our society is to stop calling  "Scary looking" guns "Assault Weapons". Anything that can be used as a weapon, i.e. EVERYTHING, could potentially be an "Assault Weapon". Politicians just want to take away the "Scary looking" guns so they can't be used against government, and then if they actually get away with that, they'll see what else that they can take too.

3 hours ago, id0ntknow said:

I've always believed that it doesn't matter what they use, a criminal who wants to do harm to others is going to use anything and everything they can get their hands on. My having a gun on my hip doesn't change that. One thing that I wish would change with our society is to stop calling  "Scary looking" guns "Assault Weapons". Anything that can be used as a weapon, i.e. EVERYTHING, could potentially be an "Assault Weapon". Politicians just want to take away the "Scary looking" guns so they can't be used against government, and then if they actually get away with that, they'll see what else that they can take too.

exactly!  "assault is a choice, not a weapon, and if someone wanted to do a lot of harm and couldnt get guns, they could find out on the dark web how to make bombs(im guessing), one man poisoned i think a batch of tylenol just to kill one person, and politicians who think we shouldnt have them are protected BY them, yet think we should rely on 911 to protect us and it dont work that way, it takes time for cops to show up, and that is time that one might not have, and they want to do things that patriots might be up in arms about, like in venezuela, before the government there took a thriving economy and ruined it, they took the guns away, now you have 2 classes there, the ruling class and the peasants, this is why we have guns, not just to kill a deer or put down a rabid dog, not just to stop an attacker, deter crime but to protect against tyranny.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I strongly believe in the Second Amendment.   It's part of the Bill of Rights of our Constitution,  part of the Constitution ment to limit the power of government. 

• 2 weeks later...

Get ya laughing chops around this. As a brit and a veteran of uk armed forces, i had a gun, when i demobbed i ceased to have a gun. I am happy myself and all the other people in the uk dont have guns.

Its a complicated situation in the usa, we all know it, you lot knock yourself out, have as many guns as you want, so long as you stay over there. :)

by the way the right to bear arms...is an amendment, that means you changed the constitution to add it...

• 4 weeks later...

Making guns illegal/very hard to get does 1 thing, make it harder for people to use it for legitimate reasons.

If someone wants to get a gun badly enough, they're going to get a gun. If someone wants to commit a crime badly enough, they're going to commit the crime. They're not going to go "wait, guns are illegal? DARN IT I really wanted to go and rob that bank, guess I can't do it now that guns are illegal." Of course not. They're just going to get it through other means (of which there will ALWAYS be many.)

You're just making it harder for those who want to legitimately use them for self defense. I'm going to let you in on a little hint. Legally Acquired Baseball Bat will lose against illegally acquired Gun 99% of the time.