• n/a
  3. 3. what is your primary reasion for owning them

• hunting
    • sport
    • hobby
    • careere(LE or dealer)
    • self defence
    • n/a

Generally I take a Catch-22 view: that the need for a firearm is evidence of a mental condition that should preclude ownership of one.

Ha! I like your attitude. Of the four firearm I own only two are the result of active persual. I inherited the other two. A couple of years ago a teenager got a hold of a shotgun and killed a police officer here in the Raleigh area. Now I feel responsible for the shotgun I inherited. I have no need for it, but I don't know how to dispose of it responsibly. One firearm is almost an antique. I'm not even sure one can buy ammunition for it. One firearm I asked my father to give me for sentimental reasons. The last firearm I bought. It is the only firearm I have ever bought or will ever buy.

I miss the time when I could go out in my Grandmother's backyard and plink. As non PC as it is now, shooting at tin cans and coke bottles was a lot of fun. My dad and I never in our imagination considered a future with nutcases who had access to high power/high capacity weapons who thought the government was out to get them, or the unfortunate subjugate who would eventually get revenge on a bully by spraying bullets around a schoolyard.

I wish we had at least the regulation for firearms that we have for a drivers license.

Anondl

That is why you keep your guns protected, so people can't get them and do damage. Gun safes are your best friend.

As for getting rid of the gun, you have two choices. Contact the local police department and ask what you can do, or you can contact me and I'll take it off of your hands lmao.

Major shooting crimes always happen in gun free zones. You think this would happen if teachers were allowed to have a gun? If patrons at a mall could carry a gun? If ADULTS attending a college or their professors could carry guns? The shooter would get one or two rounds off before they were dead.

On another note, just got myself a nice little pistol. Gonna get my concealed permit soon.

-Sky

• 2 months later...

I have 2 guns. One I carry with me, always. USP 9mm compact. I don't want to have another situation, again. Yes, I got beat and stabbed to an inch of death when I was 18. Ever since then I've carried. And yes, I have had to use it, too. Never killed someone, but have shot someone defending myself and a couple of friends when we went out. Shot him in the hip- he shot first, if it matters, I got my gun stuck on some clothing - he went down screaming and we continued on our way. My other is purely a sport rifle, a Hungarian made AK-47. it really has no use in public, but I have it, get over it! The day I got it my apartment was broken into. They-4 guys- made it 3 steps into the door before seeing the business end of an assault rifle. They cheesed it outta there pretty quick. That was like 2 years ago. Not a single break in or car theft has happened in my complex since then. I like to assume it is just coincidence. Guns are good and evil. It is terrible when we need them to be protected from them :(

I own 4 firearms. I think the editorial staff of American Rifleman (the magazine of the NRA) are clinickly paranoid whack jobs that should be locked up in the Rubber Ramada. In every issue (I don't subscribe I just happen to get their magazine) there are at least three editorials that scream The sky is falling, they're going to take away our guns. It will NEVER HAPPEN. Firearms are too much a part of our culture. On the other hand no civilian needs an assualt weapon or a 15+ round clip. I grew up in a hunting culture and I am a military brat. Just let me keep my guns to shoot at paper targets and protect me from anti-govt wackos.

Anondl

Hey, now... I've got a 50 shot clip for my .22 rifle. It comes in very handy when target shooting, as that's 5x as many shots as the standard clip holds. Plus, in a home defense situation, 10 shots from a .22 fired by a semi-panicky individual may not even hit the badguy. And unless they hit a vital organ or the right areas of the head, they won't be lethal. If someone breaks into my house, I'll at least have the potential option of shooting him while he's reloading... On the other hand, if it was a Mini-14 or something, I'd have to agree with the idea that 50 shots is a bit much... I'd say that the round limit should be proportional to the shot damage.

I haven't used the rifle against another person, and I hope that I never have to. But if I do, there will be no warning shots or intended wounding shots. Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill. Warning shots are for scaring off people who don't have guns, or critters you don't want to kill. Now, I have killed a couple of skunks with the rifle. I'm not sure if that falls under home defense or hunting... Mostly, though, I use the rifle for target shooting with/against family members. It's a family tradition to get together and shoot the crap outta some stuff, so long as it's done with respect to the rules of gun safety (under penalty of ass-kicking by grandpa or one of the larger family members).

Do I believe that everyone should have guns? No. There's plenty of people out there who're too dangerous to be allowed to have them. Unfortunatly, most of these people are criminals and will always be able to find ways of getting them. Others are people who're insane or otherwise unable to grasp the concepts of gun safetly or distinguish between who and what not to shoot with them. This includes children who don't know better than to play with them. As stated in my introduction, I believe that children should be given gun safety courses in school, as a means of teaching them not to play with them. The vast majory of the accidental shootings by children are becuse of ignorance of the "never point a gun at anything you don't want to kill" rule that gets drilled into many of us gun users's heads from an early age. Gun safety isn't some esoteric set of rules... It's common sense. Anyone not capable of following common sense shouldn't be allowed near guns, steak knifes, vehicles, power tools, regular tools, rope, flamable mateials, sticks, heavy rocks, or any other potentialy lethal object.

Outlawing guns outright would do no good, anyway. All the components and tools needed to home-build a gun can be purchased from a Sears store. The information needed to build a gun and make bullets for it can be found easily enough and has probly become popular with the criminals smart enough to understand it. Not to mention the fact that it would suddenly make criminals out of all of the existing gun owners, simply by nature of the law... Most of us who have them tend to be rather fond of them and wouldn't just fork them over because it's suddenly illegal to have them. Look at the failed prohibition attempts, as an example of a parallel idea.

The other reason outlawing guns would be useless has been touched upon before: Humans were killing eachother just fine for millenia before gunpowder. :bash::boxing::giljotiini::mf_swordfight::starwars: In order to stop this violent streak, one would have to change the nature of humans. Make them less human. Want an idea of what that might be like? Go watch Demoliton Man. The other alternative is to put the whole species into a form of stasis, like the machines did in the Matrix... We tend to forget that we actually are animals... And animals are occasionally violent and kill eachother... As much as we'd like to belive otherwise, we're a part of nature. And nature is violent. On the religious front of that discussion, we're "made in God's image". And God, Himself is violent at times. This's one of those rare facts that's supported in both science and the Bible. So argue agaisnt it at the risk of sounding like a fool and/or heretic... :angel_not:

Well, I think that covers everything I've got to say so far on the subject... For those fellow gun owners: keept it safe, huh? For those who don't own guns but aren't against them: thanks for not joining the rabid anti-gun groups. For the anti-gun folks: get a life, or at least a better hobby than bothering the rest of us.

• 1 month later...

Here it is, plain and simple...If you feel that firearms should be banned, you have no concept of reality. By using the past as a guide for the future, you'll see that every great nation in history, good and bad, has been invaded. There may come a time in our nations future, where we may be invaded or worse. Our nations first line of defence is its citizens. The Nazis, Japanese, USSR, and currently China, all have one thing in common...The U.S. cannot be succesfully invaded, because its civilians own firearms and know how to use them. A Soviet General actually stated that fact back in the 80's. Now for all of those who believe that our military will be there to protect us...Think hurricane Katrina. Now I know that this is a poor example to compare to an invasion, but it should get you thinking. Now for all those school shootings...Ever notice those scumbags only go to places where they know someone WILL NOT BE ARMED?

those results are terrifying! it just goes to show what a blood thirsty and violent a race we really are when nearly half said you can take them from my lifeless hands.

i hope humanity can one day get over such aggressive barbaric tendencies.

The reality of life, be it man or beast, is that the strong attack the weak. The weak, when man is the creature, are defended by the use of superior weapons and practice. The rule of law is an after-thought. It only takes notes and cleans up the details after the damage is already done. If you want to save your own life, be responsible for it.

Don't own a gun, and don't want a gun. If I got one, it'd either be for sport, or for the sake of studying combustion or force, or something like that.

I have weird ways of experimenting.

I might use it in self-defense- okay, no seriously, I would definently use it in self-defense. I might pee my pants first, though. :D

• 9 years later...
On 2/10/2008 at 6:28 AM, Guest sissylucy said:

Shoot me down over this if you want, but i don't think there's any need for anyone to have them, especially civilians!

and self -defense, HA, guns only do one thing! Kill people... thats not defense!

What if it's either you or them? I'll think i'll choose them. There are some really dangerous people in this world that don't play by our rules and can acquire guns regardless of whether they can pass a background check or not. By not allowing the people their right to bear arms you would be taking away their only effective defense against such dangerous individuals.

You really don't want my opinion right now, and I am a gun owner.  The idea of putting 3-D gun designs out for anyone to  make their own plastic (undetectable through TSA screeing and X-Rays) guns and Uzi style firearms that are untraceable when there is so much terrorism and school shootings going on is insane!  The Texas group behind it says they are just standing up for people's rights to bear arms.  Oh, God!  Please!  OK.  They want a gun, let them go to a gun store, fill out the paperwork, GO THROUGH THE BACKGROUND CHECKS, wait the appropriate time and get their guns!  If they have nothing to fear, do it proper and legal by the law!  If they can't do it that way then there has to be a reason they can't have a gun!  They are too young (you want the average 13 year old gang members making their own untraceable guns) or the mental paitent who no way can pass a background check to make his own gun, a released prisoner who can't legally own a gun or some other reason.  People have the right to drive a car, too, but in some cases they have their license taken away for violations, etc.  There are reasons we have laws to try and keep the public safe.  Sure, people will say that if someone wants a gun, they will get it anyhow.  That's true, but do we have to make it easy for them by handing over the plans to just make their own at home?  I have no problem with people owning guns.  Responsible people!  Allowing any nut job, terrorist, former felon and gang member who may shoot up a plane, airport, school, courtroom, restaraunt, night club, bar or movie theater to make their own untraceable gun on their home 3D printer is insane!  Don't we have enough shootings and killings already without making it easy for anyone at home with a 3D printer to make their own untraceable guns?  What the hell has the world come to?  Doesn't anyone have any common sense anymore?

• Like 1

Let me give you something to think about lets say  your local  sheriff gets paid for every single citizen he arrests so he decides he wants more money and starts randomly arresting people for crime that did not even happen so he can get the money now lets say comes election time the people say they've had enough and try to vote in someone whom isn't corrupt but the sheriff sends 200 of his deputys down to the voting office to threaten and intimidate the people into voteing  for him and when an elderly black man came to vote against him the deputys tried to threaten him and he spoke up and they shot him dead and took the ballot box for safe keeping or should I say rigging the election so that the corrupt sheriff remains in office so the people call  the governor for help insuring a safe and democratic election but he refuses to help them so the people decide to get there rifles protect themselves from the deputys and ensure a safe election but the deputys shoot at the citizens so the citizens shoot back and when and the election is held and the vote to put the new candidate in office of sheriff is almost uninanamos but your going to say that could never happen but it did in my own home town of Athens Tennessee in the year 1946 look it up battle of Athens 1946 there's a whole article on Wikipedia and its free thank you for reading the only difference between citizens and slaves is citizens have guns 

I own probably more guns than average but understand they are just a tool.   The problem is largely that you can't plug the gun problem with a patch work of local guns laws.   This needs to be dealt with federally (possibly preemptively).

First, we need to get the NRA out of firearms law/regulation policy;.   This is no longer a safety/advocacy group but a bunch of political wackos who gained control of the organisation in the seventies.

We need a comprehensive and fair background check system on all gun sales.

We need stringent enforcement of gun laws on criminal acts.   These days you're more likely to get in trouble calling someone a [insert  racial slur] then for illegal use of a lethal weapon.

• Like 1

Zombie thread.

But I will bite.  I personally have no problem with firearms.  The laws in the USA concerning firearms are a bit quaint and outdated.  You have to pass a written and short hands on test to drive a car, you need to pass a drug test to get many jobs.  But after passing a "backround" check you can walk out of many Walmarts or the like with a firearm.  Something that can accidentally injure or kill someone if handled negligently .   Enough talk from me.  Off to bed.  

So can a hammer,knife,most medications,

7 minutes ago, Fakename4me said:

Zombie thread.

But I will bite.  I personally have no problem with firearms.  The laws in the USA concerning firearms are a bit quaint and outdated.  You have to pass a written and short hands on test to drive a car, you need to pass a drug test to get many jobs.  But after passing a "backround" check you can walk out of many Walmarts or the like with a firearm.  Something that can accidentally injure or kill someone if handled negligently .   Enough talk from me.  Off to bed.  

so can a hammer,knife,most medications,bowling ball,shoe lace,cigarette lighter,glass bottle,water,Lysol and bleach,plastic bag,belt,under wire bra,stiletto high heels,plastic pantys,enema bag,dilldo,Hitachi wand,alcoholic beverages,lawn mower,sharpend credit card,sticks,stones,baseball bat,boat,rope,ceiling fan,electricity,dog,multiple story building, all a have happened 

8 hours ago, willnotwill said:

I own probably more guns than average but understand they are just a tool.   The problem is largely that you can't plug the gun problem with a patch work of local guns laws.   This needs to be dealt with federally (possibly preemptively).

First, we need to get the NRA out of firearms law/regulation policy;.   This is no longer a safety/advocacy group but a bunch of political wackos who gained control of the organisation in the seventies.

We need a comprehensive and fair background check system on all gun sales.

We need stringent enforcement of gun laws on criminal acts.   These days you're more likely to get in trouble calling someone a [insert  racial slur] then for illegal use of a lethal weapon.

Perfect!  I totally agree!

8 hours ago, Warmwetandcozy said:

so can a hammer,knife,most medications,bowling ball,shoe lace,cigarette lighter,glass bottle,water,Lysol and bleach,plastic bag,belt,under wire bra,stiletto high heels,plastic pantys,enema bag,dilldo,Hitachi wand,alcoholic beverages,lawn mower,sharpend credit card,sticks,stones,baseball bat,boat,rope,ceiling fan,electricity,dog,multiple story building, all a have happened 

Yes, but how many of those can instantly kill you from 300 yards away?  100 yards?  50 feet?  Can't compare them to a gun or high powered rifle.  I can't recall a mass killing in a night club, school or movie theater with a shoelace, bowling ball, water, Lyslol, credit card, stones, boat, ceiling fan or dog. Oh, and let's not forget the all lethal underwire bra.

I am one of the many in the US who owns, but will never join the NRA. They went wacko long ago, and their recent decision to sell themselves to the Russians only makes them more despicable.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, WetDad said:

I am one of the many in the US who owns, but will never join the NRA. They went wacko long ago, and their recent decision to sell themselves to the Russians only makes them more despicable.

My problem with the NRA is they went from helping support the rights of gun owners to eventually being fanatical about any and all laws pertaining to gun control.  Any time any hint of gun control is raised the first thing they do is try and scare every gun owner with their standard tactic of saying, "They want to take all your guns away!"  People believe them too!  That will never happen!  We already have gun control.  Just having to purchase a license and go through a background check to get a handgun is a form of gun control.  With no gun control at all (the NRA's ultimate goal), just think of how bad things would be!  The thing is, the NRA has gotten so powerful and is in the back pocket of too many politicians that they can do as they please and no one can do anything about it.  The NRA would be better if they looked at the situation and said, "I agree that doing this form of gun control would be a good idea, but not this other form of gun control'  With the NRA there is no compromising no matter what the situation is or how bad it is. They are against any and all forms of gun control and it's either all their way or nothing!  No compromising no matter how many kids get killed. What gets me is it's so bad with some of them that they have gone as far as denying some school shooting even happened, saying it was all fake and a conspiracy aimed at taking away your guns.  That's how bad their brainwashing has become with some people.  And I will once again say I am a gun owner and have been for 40 years! 

On 8/1/2018 at 5:55 AM, rusty pins said:

You really don't want my opinion right now, and I am a gun owner.  The idea of putting 3-D gun designs out for anyone to  make their own plastic (undetectable through TSA screeing and X-Rays) guns and Uzi style firearms that are untraceable when there is so much terrorism and school shootings going on is insane!  The Texas group behind it says they are just standing up for people's rights to bear arms.  Oh, God!  Please!  OK.  They want a gun, let them go to a gun store, fill out the paperwork, GO THROUGH THE BACKGROUND CHECKS, wait the appropriate time and get their guns!  If they have nothing to fear, do it proper and legal by the law!  If they can't do it that way then there has to be a reason they can't have a gun!  They are too young (you want the average 13 year old gang members making their own untraceable guns) or the mental paitent who no way can pass a background check to make his own gun, a released prisoner who can't legally own a gun or some other reason.  People have the right to drive a car, too, but in some cases they have their license taken away for violations, etc.  There are reasons we have laws to try and keep the public safe.  Sure, people will say that if someone wants a gun, they will get it anyhow.  That's true, but do we have to make it easy for them by handing over the plans to just make their own at home?  I have no problem with people owning guns.  Responsible people!  Allowing any nut job, terrorist, former felon and gang member who may shoot up a plane, airport, school, courtroom, restaraunt, night club, bar or movie theater to make their own untraceable gun on their home 3D printer is insane!  Don't we have enough shootings and killings already without making it easy for anyone at home with a 3D printer to make their own untraceable guns?  What the hell has the world come to?  Doesn't anyone have any common sense anymore?

Completely agree Rusty, The problem isn't so much the guns, but the people who have them. Now, personally I don't own one, likely never will. I'm a good shot, perhaps too good, and with my temper, though much better than it was in my youth, is still likely better for me and everyone else, that I not own one. The whole 3D printable guns though, that needs to be shut down, now, its irresponsible to make it that easy to get a gun, especially since, as you said, people who shouldn't have them would now be able to get them with the press of a button.

PS.. Why did we revive this old necro'd thread?  :)  Though due to current issues, is valid.

All the guns were removed from our house and given to a relative who was careful and knew how to use them.  Everyone here is honestly too short-tempered when the going gets rough.  I also think many of today's youth are just too inexperienced at gun-handling and too impulsive with the internet's lightning speed to have learned proper control unless they take a class or have someone teach them.  Not to say that the old-timer's are/were not in need of that as well.

• 2 months later...

Anyone who thinks they can count on guns for self-defense should really rethink.

Firstly, a gun can kill you before you even know it's happening. The idea of "one guy draws first but the second shoots faster" is complete fiction.

Second, you can store your guns safely enough to prevent accidents, or have them handy for self-defense, but you cannot do both. Do you seriously think a burglar is going to wait for you to open your gun safe, get the bullets stored separately, then load the gun?

More home shootings are done by toddlers (actual toddlers, not ABs) playing with unsecured guns than by people defending themselves against a home invasion. And that's not even counting the non-toddlers who accidentally shoot themselves or others with an unsafely secured gun.

If you have guns for sport, hunting, collections, etc, that makes sense. But don't expect guns to keep you safe. You're better off getting martial arts training - then you know what you're doing and no one can take your weapon away.

On 2/13/2008 at 4:27 AM, Repaid1 said:

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Jefferson didn't actually say this, in fact no one knows who starting saying it, but it starts to circulate in 1990s... so...

Anyways, history doesn't even suggest that Jefferson said this, because Jefferson reduced our Navy because he thought it was to much for what we needed, and would only cause others to escalate to meet us.

Anyways.... 

I own 3 firearms. Mosin-Nagant 1898, a Walther Gewher 41 (Which my Grandfather claimed to have been his after he was conscripted by the German's... he has a lot of stories of how he ended up with it, we are fairly certain it was just a rifle he got after the war...) and a CZ 27. I use both rifles when I hunt, although I don't do that very often.

I have no problem with people owning guns. I think using a gun as home defense is pointless. If you store them safely and correctly, then they are useless for home intruders, because by the time you have it readied, it is to late.

In public defense, well I have watched a crazy ass woman pull her hand gun at a guy running outside of a store because she THOUGHT he was shop lifting. She didn't hit him at all, but did kill a dog, and did some damage to a BBQ Grill for sale, and a couple of cars. The guy wasn't shoplifting, he was running back to his car to get his wallet. He was black though, so...

The problem is the amount of danger a moron with a gun can cause far outweighs the help one can cause.

Minimum education standards, harsh punishments for idiots from the example above, and keeping people liable for the use of their guns, even if they were not the ones using it in a crime, would go a long way to keeping people safe. Background checks, allowing research on gun violence and safety, etc... are important as well.

The problem is a minority of gun owners are so freaking belligerent about zero compromise, that eventually a total ban is what is going to happen.

2 hours ago, Elbs said:

Anyone who thinks they can count on guns for self-defense should really rethink.

Firstly, a gun can kill you before you even know it's happening. The idea of "one guy draws first but the second shoots faster" is complete fiction.

Second, you can store your guns safely enough to prevent accidents, or have them handy for self-defense, but you cannot do both. Do you seriously think a burglar is going to wait for you to open your gun safe, get the bullets stored separately, then load the gun?

More home shootings are done by toddlers (actual toddlers, not ABs) playing with unsecured guns than by people defending themselves against a home invasion. And that's not even counting the non-toddlers who accidentally shoot themselves or others with an unsafely secured gun.

If you have guns for sport, hunting, collections, etc, that makes sense. But don't expect guns to keep you safe. You're better off getting martial arts training - then you know what you're doing and no one can take your weapon away.

Baseball bat, pepper spray, and hand stunners (non-projectile tazers)

I have used two of the three to defend myself. Never felt I needed a gun.

On 2/10/2008 at 4:28 AM, Guest sissylucy said:

Shoot me down over this if you want, but i don't think there's any need for anyone to have them, especially civilians!

and self -defense, HA, guns only do one thing! Kill people... thats not defense!

You have never lived in alaska or other heavy bear country.

You have also never lived in a gang or drug infested neighborhood.