• n/a
  3. 3. what is your primary reasion for owning them

• hunting
    • sport
    • hobby
    • careere(LE or dealer)
    • self defence
    • n/a

The 2nd amendment was put into the constitution for many reasons.

The first is to allow the people to protect them self.

The second is to keep a internal coup d’état from happening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

since the government of the US is elected by the people under the US constitution, a coup would be against the people.

and a armed public would have a right to stop the coup. by any means as a government by coup would not be a elected government and unconstitutional.

The third is to keep outside enemies from attacking the US.

just look across the border in mexico and what the drug cartels do.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/72397

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2...2d00013b096.txt

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321181,00.html

If the US public was disarmed they could come across the border.

There is not enough cops to stop them.

The cartels have found a new source for guns.

http://www.ired.com/news/mkt/chavez.htm

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Defense_...nikovs_999.html

Venezuela claims the ak47 that the drug cartels have were stolen.

but President Hugo Chavez would use the drug cartels to do his dirty work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...cocaine%27.html

If you look at every reason the anti gun people want to get rid of guns for the opposite is true.

The drug cartels want guns banned because then they can sell guns to.

and it cuts into the amount that the drug users can steal if they get shot.

That means less money for the drug cartels,

I lost count years ago the number of mothers of drug users that want guns banned because there drug addled kids got shot trying to steal for there drug habit.

Someone saved the taxpayers a lot of money.

and likely saved some innocent person from getting killed.

Anned

2 1/2 years as a federal security officer.

6 years US Navy

combat veteran. vietnam

You know, you are right.........maybe we Brits should all arm ourselves too, just in case the French or Spanish try to invade again.

Yeah, I know they've been quiet for a couple of centuries, but if they did invade the Police wouldn't be able to stop them (far too much paperwork!)

Beth

33 years Adult Baby

28 years Crossdresser

Combat Veteran, Harrods Sale

You know, you are right.........maybe we Brits should all arm ourselves too, just in case the French or Spanish try to invade again.

Yeah, I know they've been quiet for a couple of centuries, but if they did invade the Police wouldn't be able to stop them (far too much paperwork!)

Beth

33 years Adult Baby

28 years Crossdresser

Combat Veteran, Harrods Sale

Dude, It is about time we take those French DOWN!!!!!!!!! LETS DO ET! ROCK ON! :lol:

And I never trusted those damn Spanish! ;)

The trouble is these kids don't know how to use them, and in most cases don't even know what the safety catch is.

This is one of the biggest reasons why gun crimes/injuries are so much higher in cities. Kids think its cool to have a gun, and don't understand the full consequences of guns.

If you look at gun injury/fatalities between urban and country areas, urban areas have a much higher rate. People in the country are brought up understanding how guns work, and how to respect the guns.

-Sky

The only government that need to fear an armed populus is a tyrany. I have several gun I use them for target shooting, and there is no video game that is like the weapon I have an use. I also belong to a civil war re-enactment group so the weapon for that are history and for teaching other's what this country went through to remain a country. I do not see the need for owning fulling automatic weapon, a machine gun really serves no out side the military any purpose. And for those american here the 2nd admendment is not to protect us from a foreign invasion but from our governement itself. Take a look at our American Revoluton, and what our first 2 battles were about.

My own opinions here, reflecting on what has been said above. Before I start, I believe firmly in the right to bear arms. It is the fundamental right of the American Republic, and I would argue that it is the cornerstone right, even above the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion (because it is the means which allows us to defend our other rights).

1. Self-defense/Political: I agree with the founders of the need for the individual to be able to properly defend his home form either invaders, criminals or even the government. If you take them away from the citizenry, the only people that now hold guns/firearms are the government and the criminals, and honestly I would trust the government less in that case than I would trust the criminals. I do not believe that this gives citizens carte blanche to create their own arsenal with military grade hardware (i.e. 50-cal tankbuster sniper rifles, bazookas, fully auto assault weapons, machine guns, etc.). However, they should be able to keep a variety of multi-purpose useful weaponry that can be used for effective close quarters or area defense. Shotguns and pistols, and the will to use them will stop any home invader dead in his tracks. I would pray I would never have to use them, but if I have to, I will shoot to kill. Most every state has laws on the books protecting a man's right to defend his household from threat with lethal force. On the other hand, there have been numerous cases of thieves who have been wounded by homeowners who sued the homeowner and won.

2. Hunting. There is a difference between Sport, and Hunting. Sport is when you go out and shoot an animal with no intention of every claiming the body or using the animal. This is wrong. It is a violation of the stewardship that God gave to man over the Earth. Hunting on the other hand, is something man was designed to do. If you drive anywhere in the backwoods of the Appalachain mountains, you will see deer carcasses all over the place that have been hit by vehicles. Once on a 1 hour drive to work, I counted 9 deer corpses. Recently, in the Shennandoah National Forest (I think it was 3 years ago) the deer population reached such levels that that had to invite hunters in without a bag limit to thin out the deer population. There is no harm in hunting deer. Most people I know that hunt and bag their share of deer share the meat with their whole family if its more than they can eat (and its darn good eating too....nothing better than deer sausage). To say that we shouldn't hunt cause we don't use the whole deer is ridiculous. They sure as heck don't use the whole cow or the whole chicken at the slaughterhouses. Guns are simply the latest tool that man has developed to hunt.

As to the problems with kids being irresponsible with guns, the entire matter is a sense of the forbidden, a lack of discipline, and a lack of training and respect by the parents. I have been handling a gun since the time I was 6. I was firing a handgun when I was 16. In that time, I have never harmed myself, or another human being with any weapon I have handled. The same is true for most of the kids I knew growing up. Now admittedly we were mostly military brats, but I digress. As with anything else, if kids are taught to handle guns properly and with respect, there wouldn't be so many of these problems.

Also, look at the places where the worst gun-related tragedies take place. I guarantee you they are "gun-free zones" like schools or universites. Why? Because the perps know there won't be any interference. Even the cops arn't allowed to be armed in these zones. In addition the cities with the worst crime rates in the US are the ones which refuse to allow citizens to bear arms, and the ones with the best crime rates are in areas with high rates of gun ownership.

Although I do agree with you Beth.....alot of gun owners in the US own a gun specifically to inflate their, ah, "male pride". Thus why there are so many nickel-plated, shiny, handcannons sold. My pistol (at home in the states in storage alas) is a matt-black Ruger 9mm. More than enough stopping power, and it won't punch through walls and hurt a neighbor or kid.

I respect what most of you guys have said about having guns in the house for self defense. However, I wouldn't want this in Britain because my concerns would be that buying a gun is easy, using it properly is a different thing.

I don't know what the regulations on buying a gun in the US are, I mean do you have to even prove that you can use that gun? Do you know what the recoil will be like when you fire it? How many times have you fired a gun in the past?

A lot of you have spoken about self defense, but where does that begin and end? Yes, I would be willing to shoot someone to protect myself and my family, but if you came home and found someone in your home would you still shoot them? Personally I don't think someone should die because they're stealing my TV. And this is where the questions I asked above come in, because I see a lot people saying they will not shoot to kill, just to wound. Well shooting to wound isn't that easy, not unless you are a practiced shot and familiar with using that gun in paticular. In the heat of the moment (when you won't have time to use the sights) and especialy if you are not used to using a gun, you will probably either miss them completely or kill them.

Beth

I respect what most of you guys have said about having guns in the house for self defense. However, I wouldn't want this in Britain because my concerns would be that buying a gun is easy, using it properly is a different thing.

I don't know what the regulations on buying a gun in the US are, I mean do you have to even prove that you can use that gun? Do you know what the recoil will be like when you fire it? How many times have you fired a gun in the past?

A lot of you have spoken about self defense, but where does that begin and end? Yes, I would be willing to shoot someone to protect myself and my family, but if you came home and found someone in your home would you still shoot them? Personally I don't think someone should die because they're stealing my TV. And this is where the questions I asked above come in, because I see a lot people saying they will not shoot to kill, just to wound. Well shooting to wound isn't that easy, not unless you are a practiced shot and familiar with using that gun in paticular. In the heat of the moment (when you won't have time to use the sights) and especialy if you are not used to using a gun, you will probably either miss them completely or kill them.

Beth

Those are some good points Beth, however, I personally feel that unless invites, no one has the right to enter a home without the owners' permission. Besides that, what would that person be doing in your home anyways. I support gun ownage and the freedom to have them and use them for self defence ONLY but there is nothing wrong with owning and shooting at a range.

I do have to tell you guys something though >_>

It's Famas Time!

0922081801a.jpg

Those are some good points Beth, however, I personally feel that unless invites, no one has the right to enter a home without the owners' permission. Besides that, what would that person be doing in your home anyways. I support gun ownage and the freedom to have them and use them for self defence ONLY but there is nothing wrong with owning and shooting at a range.

I do have to tell you guys something though >_>

It's Famas Time!

0922081801a.jpg

I agree, people shouldn't enter your home, but I just think shooting them to death is going too far. I think we see eye to eye on this. ;)

I may be wrong but that looks like a replica? It looks quite light (in weight) based on the indentation on the sheet. Is it made of something like soft wood or plastic?

Beth

I agree, people shouldn't enter your home, but I just think shooting them to death is going too far. I think we see eye to eye on this. ;)

I may be wrong but that looks like a replica? It looks quite light (in weight) based on the indentation on the sheet. Is it made of something like soft wood or plastic?

Beth

Absolutely we see eye to eye. I strongly feel that shooting someone to death is wrong in so many ways; however, injuring them or a warning shot and then allowing law enforcement to handle it, when they arrive, is the right way to do it.

Also, haha Beth sharp as ever! Yes, it is actually an airsoft Famas replica made from Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS plastic) with some internal metal parts. It does have the orange tip on the barrel however I really wanted to get a good pick of it and it wouldn't fit in the frame. It weighs about 4-5 pounds so yes fairly lightweight. Airsoft is a passion of mine so I have knowledge of a gun or 2 ;)

I love guns. I have to disagree on the issue of a warning shot.

One should never brandish a gun unless you intend to use it. An unloaded gun is useless.

If the bad guy sees you and thinks you will shoot, he will attempt to kill you first.

If you shoot, shoot to kill. Don't use a .22 for personal protection. A .45 or .357 only takes one shot. If you don't like big ammo use a 9mm.

If you kill the dirtbag, he will never threaten or rob anyone else again.

In Florida, your home is your castle. You have the right to use deadly force to defend yourself. Thank God.

Absolutely we see eye to eye. I strongly feel that shooting someone to death is wrong in so many ways; however, injuring them or a warning shot and then allowing law enforcement to handle it, when they arrive, is the right way to do it.

Also, haha Beth sharp as ever! Yes, it is actually an airsoft Famas replica made from Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS plastic) with some internal metal parts. It does have the orange tip on the barrel however I really wanted to get a good pick of it and it wouldn't fit in the frame. It weighs about 4-5 pounds so yes fairly lightweight. Airsoft is a passion of mine so I have knowledge of a gun or 2 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I own 4 firearms. I think the editorial staff of American Rifleman (the magazine of the NRA) are clinickly paranoid whack jobs that should be locked up in the Rubber Ramada. In every issue (I don't subscribe I just happen to get their magazine) there are at least three editorials that scream The sky is falling, they're going to take away our guns. It will NEVER HAPPEN. Firearms are too much a part of our culture. On the other hand no civilian needs an assualt weapon or a 15+ round clip. I grew up in a hunting culture and I am a military brat. Just let me keep my guns to shoot at paper targets and protect me from anti-govt wackos.

Anondl

I have guns

i will use to them to protect my self or the pnes that live with me from harm

i have all te permits and have paid the fees that go along with the weapons i own

if i want to shoot an animal i will use rock salt and bacon if i shoot a human he will not get back up

i do not hunt any thing that can not kill me and i have not sense viet nam, and i fi am hunting i prefer a bow or sprear i choose to live on the edge and i like th trill of the hunt

if i am playing with animals i use my pait ball gun the thrill is to make the killing shoot and not hurt it so paint ball works great the idea is to get in with out being seen or smelled to make the shot.

o do agree there are way to manu hand guns running around and they should be stopped

we need better enformwecemnt of the laws not new ones on the books

and with the way things are going now i just may get a different one

i like the oplician arms 10mm conversion weapon but you have to be a cop to buy it acts as both a pistol and rifle with just a change in a few sec and is great for close up up

Beth: It might not come down to weather or not you should shoot the home invader in your house. It could come down to weather or not he will shoot or otherwise harm you to get your TV. Its a fine line we gun owners tread but I would rather be the last one standing after an incident like that.

There will always be 2 sides to gun debate. At least most of us have the freedom to discuss it here in an open forum.

In order to obtain a PAL (gun license) in Canada you have to take a course in the proper handling and storage of firearms. While it is not all encompasing by any stretch it is a good basic start to proper gun ownership.

There is no point to a gun for self defense if you are not willing to shoot to kill. You risk way too much by giving an intruder even a chance to fire on you. The intruder has already entered your home, and you must assume he/she knows you could be there and has made the necessary preparations to deal with you (i.e. shoot you first). A warning shot at best may scare them, at worst will hit someone else or give the intruder time to shoot you, and shooting to injure is just impractical all around - much higher chance you will miss, and you will almost certainly not stop your attacker thus giving them time to either shoot you or otherwise disable you. Shoot to kill.

I do not see the need for owning fulling automatic weapon, a machine gun really serves no out side the military any purpose. And for those american here the 2nd admendment is not to protect us from a foreign invasion but from our governement itself. Take a look at our American Revoluton, and what our first 2 battles were about.

I do somewhat agree on not needing fully-automatic weapons. Semi-auto will work much better in the next revolution. However, fully automatic guns and machine guns will work quite well if there are large groups coming at you.

Mark my words, another revolution is not far off.

Cops can and do carry guns on schools here. Gun free is only for the "little people" and such.

Yup, but cops aren't always at the schools. All the major shootings have happened at "gun free zones"..ever notice that? These people never shoot up places where people can carry guns. I would fully support at minimum teachers being able to be armed.

Beth

The judicial system is shot. Police are not required to help you if you call them (Supreme Court Ruling). The only true protection you have is yourself, and as far as I'm concerned, if someone breaks into my house, I WILL kill them. Not only will they not harm my family or myself, they will never harm anyone else, ever.

-Sky

• 2 weeks later...

I believe everyone should be trained to use them. They should only be used for hunting food or killing animal pests on farms. I don't own any now. I did when I lived on a farm. I've never gone hunting, but have killed animals that dig in the fields or steal the chickens. Both of my sons own guns. My 28 year old has a real nice collection. My 7 year olds is kept by his Uncle and he has never used it (given to him by his Granddad.) I will teach him and his sister after they are 10, if they want. Just like I've taught most of my older children.

I have 3 shotguns and 4 rifles in my home, though they are primarily for hunting purposes, I will not hesitate to use them for defense. The nastiest one I have is a .44 Magnum lever action deer rifle, that I use hollow points in...........

Criminals BEWARE, I don't shoot to wound,If I want you to live I will maim you so that you will remember your mistake, other wise you are a dead MF.

I own two handguns. I obtained my carry permit last year and I plan to purchase another and to stock up on ammo. I have these weapons for self defense at home and on the outside.

I feel the importance of owing these weapons due to the increasing rate of our lawless society which includes our feeble justice system and our country being overrun by illegal aliens. I also predict that if "Nobama" gets elected, besides his socialist agenda, he will include banning weapons for the law abiding through out the country. Well you can have my weapons back when you pry them from my cold lifeless hands! I'll go to jail before giving up my right!

Not to long ago I heard a radio talk show host say something that is so brilliant, simple and gets the to the point. This was right after another mall or school shooting. Typical scenario, where some nut job started to shoot and kill. While the idiotic sheepish public waits to be slaughtered before the nut job usually kill themselves and then the police arrive to do the paperwork.

The host commented about the signs such as most malls state "This is a gun free zone." Okay ask yourself this, would you post such a sign outside your house? Think about it!

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Long ago, Mrs Queen loaned me one of hers. I humped it around the parade square a couple of hundred times, and never got to use it for anything else. I was damn glad to get rid of it in the end. These days I just take the occasional pot at a clay pigeon.

I have never been in any situation in which firing a gun wouldn't have made it a hundred times worse, but then I'm a big ugly so-and-so and nobody bothers me very much, and I live in a fairly peaceful country. I am also a peaceful man.

I have just spent some time in Switzerland, which has one of the highest per capita rates of fireams possesion in the world; every fit man of military age has one, with very few exeptions, and yet they are a very peaceful, tolerant people, and their crime rate is very low. There is certainly something in the idea that it is people who misuse guns.

In my life I have as much use for a gun as I would for a chocolate teapot. It isn't worth the cost and aggravation to have one. I don't need one to defend myself - I keep a sword for that - and I don't need one to prop up my ego or my sexuality.

Generally I take a Catch-22 view: that the need for a firearm is evidence of a mental condition that should preclude ownership of one.

I feel quite sorry for people who feel they need to own a gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me biased if you must, but on 3 occasions my peace-loving and non-provocative self stayed safe and alive simply because I made it known visually that I was armed. I didn't point it, I just let them have a good look at the side of it as I stared at them. The rapist, the rednecks, and the violent drunk all suddenly became nice and polite but they all forgot to wave goodbye as they rushed away hastily ;) Perhaps they momentarily forgot their manners? :lol: Seriously, in the real world today you'd better be ready for emergencies because the help you need may not arrive in time to do you any good. That's the reason I keep a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit handy, too. Any sane person can see the logic in it. If you can't, I can recommend a therapist and shrink near my home(who BTW both said I was the sanest person they'd ever known)!

Bettypooh