• n/a
  3. 3. what is your primary reasion for owning them

• hunting
    • sport
    • hobby
    • careere(LE or dealer)
    • self defence
    • n/a

Our founding fathers intended for our society to be armed.

The reason for arming the general public is to keep the government in check.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing.

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... And what country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure., November 13, 1787, letter to William Stephens Smith, quoted in Padover's Jefferson On Democracy

Thomas Jefferson

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

Arms in the hands of citizens (may) be used at individual discretion...in private self defense... -- John Adams, A defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the USA, 471 (1788).

The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. --- Thomas Jefferson in "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -- George Washington

A free people ought...to be armed. -- George Washington, speech of Jan. 7, 1790 in the Boston Independent Chronicle, Jan. 14, 1790.

The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun. -- Patrick Henry

Shoot me down over this if you want, but i don't think there's any need for anyone to have them, especially civilians!

and self -defense, HA, guns only do one thing! Kill people... thats not defense!

I collect firearms. I have handguns.

My wife's ex-husband threatened to drive his pickup truck through my living room wall. He quickly changed his mind when he saw the business end of my shotgun.

Someone attempted to rob my neighbor. The neighbor utilized a .45 Glock and shot the robber dead. The dirtbag will never rob anyone else again!

This is Florida. A man's home is his castle. If you want to harm anyone in their home, the homeowner has the right to kill the intruder.

Heres a question how many who own one for self defence have actualy used it for that reason?

Now how many guns sold for "self defence" have been used to kill someone. Not in selfdefence and also not by the original buyer of said gun.

Let me make clear. I'm not against owning a gun for defense. I'm against hunting.

I would assume that your a vegan? The term hunting implies that it is for food. For the most part the whole animal is used as well. Probably more so or just as much as anything from the supermarket. ;)

guns are a total nonsense if you ask me! I mean, what "democratic and civilised" country has such a high rate of killings by a gun. I mean we here in Europe just dont get that much shootings, although Ive gotta admit that in Germany for instance there have been some cases. I really cant figure out the reason for a collage student to ventilate and solve his own personal problems in such a horrible way as shooting of inoscent young students that have their whole life ahead of them. Just the whole process of getting a gun is so foolish. How is it possible that kids can get their hands on such a dangerous thing as a gun??? Why is it so easy to acquire a lethal weapon in the US and in Europe its really difficult???

And I really hate that when a shooting is reported the public becomes all worried and paranoid and then a month of so later nobody knows about it any more and doesnt care to take some action against it. And when it happens again the same process repeats. I think the people should consider this and act upon it so that lives arent needlessly waisted!

Don't own a gun, but would fight for our right too... and for the exact reason our founders gave us the right. To protect us from attacks, foreign and domestic... and the gevernment that we may someday have to overthrow and rebuild as our foudners have warned us.

Let me make clear. I'm not against owning a gun for defense. I'm against hunting.

The only thing I can say about those who are against hunting is I personally think its hypocritical to be against hunting and eat meat or wear leather or use any part of a dead animal. To be honest I have seen the way cattle die who are herded and hit with an air hammer. Some of them don't die instantly and then have to have their throats slit or some of them are killed by electrocution.

Don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you, we can still be friends. Food for thought though.

• 4 weeks later...

I too have expressed my opinions on owning guns elsewhere in this forum. However, as far as huting goes, I personally do not hunt, but have no problem with it. I don't like the fact that alot of hunters do not use all of the meat. I think game limits shou be raised. I drive anywhere between 1500 and 2000 miles per week through OH, KY, IN, WV. You would not believe the number of dead deer I see. So, to everyone who is against hunting I have to ask this question. Which is worse? Deer starving to death due to overpopulation? Deer getting hit by cars/trucks being dragged to death, chewed up and ripped apart under 18 wheelers, or being hit and running away only to bleed to death or die from internal injuries? Personally, I'll take a 30/06 to the heart to do me in.

The only REAL gun I own is a Colt Single Action Army, as it's about the only thing I can fire without hurting myself, I'm a bit of a weakling, you see. As an added advantage, not many people really know how to use a single action weapon, hee hee. However, for self defense reasons, I keep other, fake guns around. I figure that a robber is more apt to shoot me with one of my own guns, so if he picks up a fake one, no problem.

Honestly, I don't think the guns are the big problem in killing cases, it's a lack of the feeling of responsibility. To own a point and click death machine, it is my opinion that one should have to pass a series of psychological exams. I will admit, however, that I am fascinated by ballistics.

You were obviously educated in a government school.

America is not, nor has it ever been a democracy. America is a representative republic. Article 4 section 4 of the US constitution reads "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Citizens are armed. Subjects are disarmed.

Amendment 2

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Your apathy is the same as those that allowed Hitler to obtain power. When a Communist or Fascist entity comes to power, the first objective is to disarm the public and take over the media.

Regarding the campus shootings, it is too bad that some student didn't break the rules and pack a piece (gun). You see, the bad guys will attack when they know that people are unarmed and or incapable of defending themselves. It is too bad that our centers of higher learning are "gun free zones". Bad people are less likely to attack if they know that they will get their brains blown out!

guns are a total nonsense if you ask me! I mean, what "democratic and civilised" country has such a high rate of killings by a gun. I mean we here in Europe just dont get that much shootings, although Ive gotta admit that in Germany for instance there have been some cases. I really cant figure out the reason for a collage student to ventilate and solve his own personal problems in such a horrible way as shooting of inoscent young students that have their whole life ahead of them. Just the whole process of getting a gun is so foolish. How is it possible that kids can get their hands on such a dangerous thing as a gun??? Why is it so easy to acquire a lethal weapon in the US and in Europe its really difficult???

And I really hate that when a shooting is reported the public becomes all worried and paranoid and then a month of so later nobody knows about it any more and doesnt care to take some action against it. And when it happens again the same process repeats. I think the people should consider this and act upon it so that lives arent needlessly waisted!

The Colt is a nice choice. It is a relaible weapon. I sleep with a Colt .38 Detective special. It is loaded with 125 Gr. hollows.

The only REAL gun I own is a Colt Single Action Army, as it's about the only thing I can fire without hurting myself, I'm a bit of a weakling, you see. As an added advantage, not many people really know how to use a single action weapon, hee hee. However, for self defense reasons, I keep other, fake guns around. I figure that a robber is more apt to shoot me with one of my own guns, so if he picks up a fake one, no problem.

Honestly, I don't think the guns are the big problem in killing cases, it's a lack of the feeling of responsibility. To own a point and click death machine, it is my opinion that one should have to pass a series of psychological exams. I will admit, however, that I am fascinated by ballistics.

• 4 weeks later...

Who knows? Someday, my gun might be the only reason my hands aren't cold and dead.

Just one gun in the right hands could have saved everyone at Virginia Tech, Columbine, and other loci of mass shootings.

Anyone who advocates shooting a criminal to wound them is simply advertising their ignorance. The moment you point a firearm at another human being you should be prepared to fire and kill them. There is no second option. I have a concealed carry permit and have carried a Sig P230 at times I deemed it prudent. I hope I'd never have to use it, but if I did I'd be aiming for dead center of the chest and wouldn't stop with the first shot. Most criminals don't take gun courses to learn how to use them properly. That's one of my advantages, the other one being surprise. For those that don't believe in owning firearms or don't feel comfortable with them I support your right to risk your life. Please don't infringe my right to not risk mine, I'm not the one you have to worry about. If you're lucky, someone like me may just be in the right place at the right time and save you. It does happen.

Freta

The right to own Firearms is what keeps us free.

A simple look will show you that gun control in Washington DC, New York City

has never worked, nor will it ever work. Both of these cities have had gun

control, with almost no one being able to have a gun, for dozens of years.

Both of these cities have the highest crime rates in the country. Washington DC

is known as the murder captal of the U.S.

There would be alot less crime if every time a robber went into a 7-11 or

Starbucks he had to wonder how many people in these stores would have

a firearm for protection and would shoot him while he was trying to rob the

place.

I will never give up my Firearms

Radioman

• 4 months later...

okay, it seems that the majority of the people against guns are in favor of banning them because you can easily kill with them. This is true, however if guns were not available other tools would be used to kill. aka knives, bats, tazers. If you have no guns you have no way to protect yourself from criminals which would have them since they have been legal for so long here (us) even if made illegal they would be easily obtained by those with no regard for the law. Also, they can be used to assert your rights and liberties against an authoritarian government. In the worst case scenario of course. But one of the first steps a totalitarian government will take is to strip the people of guns. I wish this was a peaceful world where we had no need of guns but sadly I don't believe that to be true.

The founding father said the most reasonable and passionate things about firearms more than 200 years ago. They all still apply. I dare say they lived in more hectic times and were much smarter than any one of us, I don't care what your ACT/SAT score or MENSA card says.

As a gun owner, I'm neither inclined or looking to use my firearms other than the sporting, hunting and, god forbid, self defense purposes. It is a proven fact that licensed concealed carry permit holders are the most law abiding group of people on the planet. Less than .01% of them ever commit a crime and almost none of them are with a firearm.

Hunting is a management tool. Hunting game ensures the strongest of the herd survives while the ones culled do not suffer. Man is a carnivore and if you can't accept that you need to have your head examined. We are designed to eat meat and that is why it tastes so good.

Heck, I may write a story about a diapered hunter now that I think about it.

Man is a carnivore and if you can't accept that you need to have your head examined. We are designed to eat meat and that is why it tastes so good.

I agree with you on that one BoTox. I also think all those so called animal lovers, vegans, etc. are not getting it. One has to eat meat to survive and be healthy. And plus a good steak is something really extraordinary! :)

As to the firearms matter, well I have my own distinctive opinion and respect the opinions of everybody else, eventhough I sometimes do not agree with them. It is true that this issue is as old as 1776 or even older, so it would be rather difficult to change or re-shape the thinking of so many people now :)

I'm a gun owner, got 2. I don't hunt myself but don't have a problem with anyone who does. I shoot for sport, to those my sport shooting is not animals, but rather go to the range and target shoot or shoot skeet. Also I own for self defense..if someone is in my house at 2am or whenever and was not invited or knock on the door first they better expect to be shot.

As for the gun laws I feel when they start taking away some rights its just the start of things, but I do not have a problem with waiting periods & backround checks.

I have a few. I keep a loaded 20 gauge under the bed ;)

Those of you who think we shouldn't own guns...well...one of these days these guns of mine will be protecting your ass. Wait and see.

It is a constitutional right to have firearms. You can say it refers to militia only, but if you look at the US Code, any adult male is automatically considered militia.

You can say that the police will protect you, you don't need guns to protect you. There are rulings going as high as the Supreme Court that the police are not required to "protect" you, that they are there to investigate crimes once they happen. And how are you going to call the police anyway when an intruder has you hostage because you had nothing to defend yourself with? They will do whatever they want to you.

If guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns. Most criminals don't usually buy guns legally. They buy them on the black market. I have no problems with registration and licensing, but I will never, EVER agree to any laws that infringe on my right to have firearms.

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/370921/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/26/...in4211588.shtml

l_6f36a6b3ec5d728cd5c01f6fdc118525.jpg

l_94548fa160434cdaeb4e826dd30decba.gifsecondsmall.png

UMilitia.jpg

-Sky

I have a love/hate relationship with guns. I have owned a couple in the past, but only for sporting use. On the other hand, I think guns have been made too glamorous, which is why so many people now have them. I see nothing wrong in owning a gun for sport, hunting etc, because one this will be legal and two the person will know how to use it (including how to make it safe). Unfortunatly though, too many people (especialy in the US) own guns for no other reason than an extension of their penis.

In Britain we have a real problem with guns among kids now. This wasn't always the case. When I was at school we carried weapons but never really thought about a gun. You could get them on the black market, but they were too expensive and only hardened criminals bought them. Now they are considered a fashion accessory among kids and are easy to obtain, mainly because of the glamour of guns in music/computer games/movies. The trouble is these kids don't know how to use them, and in most cases don't even know what the safety catch is.

I can't speak for the US, but in Britain guns should be owned under license for sport and hunting only. Anyone owning a gun without a license should be jailed.

Beth

I legally own a few guns and belong to a club.

Bought my rifle a few years ago to sort out a rat infestation I had on a piece of land I own.

After years of shooting targets at the club and serveral rifle ranges around the country, I thought I would be able to pull the trigger and kill a rat but I could not bring myself to do it.

Now have a company in there twice a week to do it for me, and seems to have stopped the young two legged pests aswell ;)

The 2nd amendment was put into the constitution for many reasons.

The first is to allow the people to protect them self.

The second is to keep a internal coup d’état from happening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

since the government of the US is elected by the people under the US constitution, a coup would be against the people.

and a armed public would have a right to stop the coup. by any means as a government by coup would not be a elected government and unconstitutional.

The third is to keep outside enemies from attacking the US.

just look across the border in mexico and what the drug cartels do.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/72397

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2...2d00013b096.txt

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321181,00.html

If the US public was disarmed they could come across the border.

There is not enough cops to stop them.

The cartels have found a new source for guns.

http://www.ired.com/news/mkt/chavez.htm

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Defense_...nikovs_999.html

Venezuela claims the ak47 that the drug cartels have were stolen.

but President Hugo Chavez would use the drug cartels to do his dirty work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...cocaine%27.html

If you look at every reason the anti gun people want to get rid of guns for the opposite is true.

The drug cartels want guns banned because then they can sell guns to.

and it cuts into the amount that the drug users can steal if they get shot.

That means less money for the drug cartels,

I lost count years ago the number of mothers of drug users that want guns banned because there drug addled kids got shot trying to steal for there drug habit.

Someone saved the taxpayers a lot of money.

and likely saved some innocent person from getting killed.

Anned

2 1/2 years as a federal security officer.

6 years US Navy

combat veteran. vietnam