3. 3. what is your primary reasion for owning them

• hunting
    • sport
    • hobby
    • careere(LE or dealer)
    • self defence
    • n/a

Guest sissylucy

Shoot me down over this if you want, but i don't think there's any need for anyone to have them, especially civilians!

and self -defense, HA, guns only do one thing! Kill people... thats not defense!

i think owning for defense is a valid reason. but its a catch 22. you need them to defend from other people who have them...

if nobody had them there would be no need for them.

defense doesnt necessarily have to mean killing too. if an attacker sees you have a gun as well, they might think twice, or you can shoot and not kill, just wound.

I dunno, I have no interest in them, and where I live, crime isnt an issue, so doubt I'll need one anyway.

defense doesnt necessarily have to mean killing too. if an attacker sees you have a gun as well, they might think twice, or you can shoot and not kill, just wound.

Seeing as how I'm the son of a LEO and after working with LEO's, my perspective is a little different than most on the issue. Just think of it this way, your aggressor is going to shoot to kill while your going to try and shoot to wound. The aggressor doesn't want any witnesses to what ever crime he's committing. For an example, both of you have a gun. He shoots and misses and you manage to hit him non-fatally and stumbles back a little. The aggressor stills wants you dead, more so now that you've shot him. With adrenaline pumping, he fires off a few more shots as you tried to get away. As your running away, one of the bullets hits you fatally. You then hit the ground in a great deal of pain. Still wanting you dead, he walks to you and fires a couple more rounds at point blank. Guess what? His "use of force" outweighed yours. He is now free to get away himself, and paramedics cannot get to you fast enough.

The fact that anyone would use a gun to commit a crime should tell you immediately that the aggressor has no regrets to taking a life.

The problem with guns, is people use them. They always want to shoot something. Many times, it's something that can't defend itself against it. And, shooting things for fun or sport is wrong. Go play a videogame...you can shoot all you want.

Shoot me down over this if you want, but i don't think there's any need for anyone to have them, especially civilians!

and self -defense, HA, guns only do one thing! Kill people... thats not defense!

Steak knives can kill people too ,so maybe we should outlaw those as well. But criminals will always find away to get a gun. So I think it is only fair that I can defend myself with equal force.

This guy probably would be dead to day if he didnt have a gun. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15263415/detail.html

I've posted my thoughts on firearms many times before on here - my opinions have not changed. THey should be banned, I live in a civilised society, owning a gun to me is wrong. I'd never consider owning one - no matter what anyone said about it being for self defence. Load of crap!

Dynamick :)

That last poll should be a multi-choice option. Many gun owners own guns for more than one reason. Personally, I checked sport, but would've also checked for hunting and probably hobby. Self defense doesn't really apply to me as I wouldn't own a gun for purely self-defense reasons, or at least not where I live currently.

I have mixed feelings on this issue. My brother is a member of the NRA, he claims "if the government can take my guns away then what's next?, they've already taken enough!" I think guns are too readily available to kids in gangs, and they use them at random. I myself do not own a gun and the reason is that I suffer from very bad depression and I fear that I wouldn't hesitate to use it on myself. That thought alone keeps me from owning a gun. :o

Guest stright_locin'

the way i worded the last question was PRIMARY reason so i wanted to know what reason was most important to you.

personally i own guns for every reason but one (careerer) and that is soon to change. and i have used my guns for every reason i own them, if it were not for a firearm i would not be here today.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun is an inanimate object with out a brain or nervous system, it cannot make the choice to fire or not, people can, and unfortunately do.

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns. If someone wants to harm you for what ever reason, they will use what ever they have. Knives, rope, rocks, sticks, pitch fork or other yard implements, baseball bats.....does thast mean we should out law our national sport????

How far will this go?

The only solution to guns and violence is education and training. Just liek driving a car.If someone isnt trained in how to handle a car in a crisis, its far more likely they will have a bad accident and get hurt or killed than if someone who is trained and educaated.

Train to shoot accurately,only when necessary. yes the perp will more then likely want you dead, if you kill him, you have the 'self defense' claim to protect you, it doesn't work if your dead because you shot to wound. he can turn and sue you or your family for every thing, and don't laugh, sadly, it has happened to many times, and the criminal won.

A mans home is his castle, protect it....or loose it to a dirt ball.

qwack

extremely well said.

• Like 1

Heres a question how many who own one for self defence have actualy used it for that reason?

Now how many guns sold for "self defence" have been used to kill someone. Not in selfdefence and also not by the original buyer of said gun.

i have not used any firearm in self defense, but trust me when i say i wouldnt hesitate.

diamonback "i have not used any firearm in self defense, but trust me when i say i wouldnt hesitate"

I Agree whole heartedly. I have a decent collection of firearms, that I primarily use for sport/hunting/target shooting. However some of my collection is for self-defense. How many of you here have ever been on the recieving end of a firearm? How bout ever been shot at? I have, and not while in the military. It was here in the US, in the process of doing my job, as an EMT. I agree, keep the guns in the hands of the responsible people. At the same time, I agree that their needs to be limits on guns that drug dealers/violent people/crazy people/sex offenders/etc, etc. The only problem is if we ban guns only the bad guys will have them, then we will all become victims. The hellllll with that. I strongly support the second amendment!

If the gun were never invented, we would be outlawing swords right now. Its a simple fact of human society; some people are bad, some people are good. Go ahead, take the guns. The bad will get their hands on them, and the good will find a more inventive way to defend themselves.

I do want to quote my favorite pro gun quote though, "If guns kill people, then pencils cause misspelled words."

• Thanks 1

Oh boy, now HERE is a debateable topic.

I don't like guns. I don't own a gun now, but I may in the future.

I don't like hunting for sport.

In fact, I don't like hunting period - the only way I'll accept hunting is if a person uses EVERY part of the animal, which nowadays is a rare occurance at best.

For self defense - okay, I see the point. To defend yourself from murderers, thieves, etc. I understand and respect this - which is why I may someday own a gun.

HOWEVER - many people also use the same gun that they claim to buy for defense to hunt (usually, for sport).

Why??

To thin down the population? Natural selection will do that.

In self defense? Defense from what?? Okay, sure, if an animal was attacking a person on a campsite...BUT at that same time, it's HUMANS invading the ANIMAL's space, not the other way around, and most of the time animals won't attack unless they have a disease or are threatened.

As I've said, the ONLY way I could ever see hunting being justified is if you kill and use EVERY part of the animal.

AND (as duckie mentioned) many people aren't taught how to use guns properly.

ALSO from the way society is, a lot of kids are abused or neglected too (I've even seen well meaning parents egg on eating disorders nowdays...) and this usually causes a whole bunch of problems for the child. Some people use a harmless method of coping - like regression - while others turn down a more violent path - becoming abusive towards other people themselves, which can include injury and murder via guns. Plus society seems to like encouraging violence.

SO take the not being taught and add society to it...and you can (and inevitably will) create people who kill others.

My main points of this post (all opinions by the way so PLEASE don't bite my head off):

- Guns should be legal but with restriction.

- People need to be taught proper gun safety.

- Hunting for sport should be abolished.

- C.J.

I have yet to meet an anti-gun nut who wasn't a spoiled rich kid who never wanted for anything a day in his/her life, never been outside the comfort of his clean neighborhood where his/her parents can afford to pay 4 to 5 digits a year in property taxes so their baby won't run into "criminal elements", and went to liberal colleges learning such dumbass philosophies as relativism and supporting idiotic causes as PETA and "Free Mumia" before daddy got them that assistant position at the bank/law firm.

I live in rural TN. Almost everyone around here has guns, save for the rich and retired northerners who move down here, and burglary is almost non-existant for that fact alone, despite that we have our share of low-lie scum.. I doubt we've had 5 murders in 25 years, and the last one had nothing to do with a gun (a woman doused her hubby with lighter fluid and lit him up).

As far as hunting, having lost a nephew because a deer ran out in the freeway causing him to swerve, and the close calls I have has with them, coupled with the fact I value my life over all the deer in the world, I say hunt the worthless vermin to extinction.

I had a beat cop in Brooklyn, NY (where handguns have been illegal for decades) tell me I need to get one before walking down the fucking street!

People with comments like "self-defense? HA!", that's nothing a dose of reality wouldn't fix.

I will never give up my right to own firearms.

I do not debate the right to have guns. If you have guns, good for you. If you hate guns, good for you.

I do not belong to the NRA but do have my carry permit. In my mind I have had enough firearm training, both classroom and hands-on experience that if I needed to use my gun to protect myself or family member I could do so in good faith.

Case closed. Next.

I think this says it best, While this applies more so with the US. Our state recently added conceled carry permits. The simple reason was that every state that had such a law had a dramatic lower percentage of vilolent crime. I unfortunatly live in a larger city, I can't remember the last time on the news that someone wasn't killed over night. In about 90% of those cases, if the victim would of had a gun, they would still be alive. Laws can be changed and upgraded, but never should the right to bear arms for protection be removed. IMO a trained civilian can easily out gun a thug with one. The biggest responsibility of owning a gun is being able to use it properly and safely. I can assure you that those that have been affected personally by violent crime consider that right wholeheartedly.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution

• Thanks 1