LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

We Need A Wiki!

I have an idea on how to organize information on this forum. There are so many identical threads about the same topic, that it's difficult for someone to read every single message of every single thread just to get the information they need. Wouldn't it be nice to have a consolidated, condensed version of all those messages, with only the pertinent information the reader really wants?

Anyone familiar with www.wikipedia.org knows how convenient this concept is. You get the information you need without the unnecessary stuff.

Just one example of how a wiki would be useful for us is there must be a dozen or so threads about how to become incontinent. A lot of the replies aren't directly helping the original poster become incontinent. I'm sure the reader would appreciate a wiki page with the consolidated, unfragmented information they seek.

Think of any popular topic that has a dozen or so threads, and people referring the original poster to another thread about it where it's already been discussed to death with page after page of replies. Now think how nice it would be to have a condensed version of all those threads, with only the pertinent facts the reader wants.

I would be very interested in hearing what the admin thinks of this idea.

I would be very happy to help get this started by providing condensed information of my own on subjects that need it the most. Of course, the more people who help, the better.

Would you guys be willing to help with this if the admin decided to make it happen?

If you could link the Wiki to the daily diapers board account it would help, as it means that only our members could edit it.

I don't know how wikipedia works, but I assume there are quality-control mechanisms. I'm pretty sure any changes people want to make to a wiki page have to be pre-approved by a higher-up. So yeah, if only members could edit it, that would be another measure to assure quality and prevent abuse from anonymous people.

I like how this forum has a feature that proves if you're over 18. Seems like we have a creative admin on here. I bet the admin could think of plenty of quality-control measures.

I don't know how wikipedia works, but I assume there are quality-control mechanisms. I'm pretty sure any changes people want to make to a wiki page have to be pre-approved by a higher-up. So yeah, if only members could edit it, that would be another measure to assure quality and prevent abuse from anonymous people.

I like how this forum has a feature that proves if you're over 18. Seems like we have a creative admin on here. I bet the admin could think of plenty of quality-control measures.

Wiki's are built on user input which can be limited and moderated or left wide open. Some BB'S have this option but I know nothing about the technical side of this topic. I do know that to start one would require either a new beginning or delving into what is already here to put it into the system. I honestly doubt it's usefulness here even though it would make it easier to find an overall answer for newbies who haven't yet dug into the posts for the answers they seek. If you really want to know about something you need to research it yourself since only you can decide what is right for you ;) As far as the AB/DL topic goes, this is mostly opinions rather than hard facts so a Wiki would probably be misleading at best :( Like the perennial newbie posts about "Which is the best diaper?" there can't a single answer or even a consensus since the question's scope is so broad. Even narrowing it to "which is the best disposable for concealed daytime wear and heavy wetting?" gets you a bunch of correct answers and a Wiki wouldn't help this :angry:

Doing the research may not be easy but if you're that interested then you'll do it. It's really the only way you're going to find the info you need to make the right decisions or understand the topic. If you're not willing to do the work needed to do it the hard way then you probably weren't as interested as you thought you were :o

Bettypooh

I like this idea too even in spite of my agreement with Bettypooh's misgivings about it. :) I think that sentence requires some explanation.

I think the kinds of questions that CAN be answered by a wiki have the potential to be helpful for newbies, and one might even have a section which designates that "Opinions vary widely on this particular topic [which is the best disposable for concealed daytime wear and heavy wetting?], so some personal experimentation will be necessary. Nonetheless, members of this wiki have contributed the following diaper reviews, covering topics such as absorbency, thickness, babyishness, cost, ability to conceal, ease of use, " etc.

Of course, the wiki could also have something like a "Who's who" section, where individual dailydiapers members could voluntarily add a section designating something about who they are and their interests, which might be a great way for us to get to know each other better. I'm sure there are people I've met here who I've never read their official introduction in the "Welcome" forum, and it might be nice to have such information consolidated in a format that might be a little easier to navigate.

I'm not so sure about having a full blown wiki. It seems like an administrative nightmare to keep content legal, not spam, and concise. I can see the benefits in the forums for such a thing, because it would be nice to have the first post be updatable with information as the thread gets long. Instead of a full wiki, I would look at a system like slickdeals.net where forum threads can have the original post turn into wiki format. Basically the most common use case I can think of is where there is lots of DATA, not opinion, being compiled by users. Trying to make wiki for brand reviews is probably going to be fruitless as some people will inevitably start deleting conflicting information with their own beliefs.

• 2 months later...
Guest TeenInDiapers

Dunno if this idea is still up for votes or not, but it's definitely plausable.

You only need two things for that, and we do have them already- PHP and a MySQL server.

Wikipedia's format comes from the free open source "Media Wiki". Site.

Linking the two databases together would be a little bit more difficult task, and probably quite difficult for anyone who's not quite proficient at PHP and understand it's connection to MySQL. It may, perhaps, be totally impossible since a Wiki may have a different password "scrambler" than IPB, in which case you'd have to figure out how one of them "scrables" the password.

Either way, I set one of these up on my old site in a matter of minutes. The hardest part is putting in tons of content, but even then I'm sure the members here could have a crapton of information up in just a few days.

DailyDi, if you're really interested, feel free to email me or PM me.

• 1 month later...

At the risk or proposing the use of one forum on another forum, couldn't we skip the setup and just use the ADISC.org wiki? Some form of teamwork would prevent the Dailydiapers community from having to go through the work of developing the content already available over there. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Of course, the wiki could also have something like a "Who's who" section, where individual dailydiapers members could voluntarily add a section designating something about who they are and their interests, which might be a great way for us to get to know each other better. I'm sure there are people I've met here who I've never read their official introduction in the "Welcome" forum, and it might be nice to have such information consolidated in a format that might be a little easier to navigate.

That's what the blog spot in your member profile is for. :unsure:

As for a wiki page I'm not sure exactly how they work however at another forum I frequent they have one that is used.......and they appear to be down right now. lol, how convenient.