LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Fecal incontinent or colostomy bag

I was in an accident where I have damaged my anal sphincter and I currently have an ostomy while a wound on my rectum heals. I found out today that my anal sphincter may not be strong enough for them to reverse the ostomy. Does anyone here have experience with using a colostomy appliance and if it is better to keep or to be fecally incontinent and use diapers? The colostomy does handle smell well but it is really inconvenient. A poop filled diaper might be pretty inconvenient too tho. What do you guys think?

The dressing is covered but I know I can't shower with the dressing. As for the sphincter muscle, I am going to ask about exercises and things I can do to make it stronger at my next appointment. Thanks for the advice. I have been frustrated lately.

• 2 months later...

I don't have an ostomy but have a few fecal accidents in diapers. If I was FI it would depend on the severity of it wether I would go bag or diapers. Onece or twice a week in diapers I think I could handle but if it was worse I'd go bag. Neither are nice options. I wish you all the best.

I thankfully don't have problems with the bag leaking or it smelling bad. My ostomy area is really healthy and I rarely have any bleeding. The Colo rectal surgeon says I may have some tone in my rectum but is talking about an artificial rectum or reconstructing the rectum with a ligament from my knee. I am hoping that they just reverse the ostomy and I have moderate control, but I will have to see. I really don't want to have a surgery and have them cut out the remaining muscle. It might be kinda fun to have a button that would make me poo tho! (Jk jk)

A poo button, I wish I had one I them now then I could just dump my load on demand, so to speak.

I think if you had moderate control you'd go with diapers. It's so difficult but one of the things that make dealing with my UI is having choice. If I had to spend all the time with a leg bag and straps on it would drive me crazy but thankfully I have a choice of different diapers, pads or bags etc.

As you currently have a bag, here's the opportunity for you to try it out and see how you get on with it,if you find it's not a problem then stay with the bag.

Speaking from my own current experience.Nappies can be a real chore,especially if you want to go and stay somewhere.Not only do you have to take a supply of nappies with you but also all the associated paraphenallia such as creams,baby powder,disposal bags,wipes,toilet paper,etc.

With a colostomy bag is you need to empty it you can take off the clip and empty it into a toilet,reapply the clip,clean up and go.If you have to change the bag and you have a flange fitted it's simply a case of removing the full one and fitting an empty.You'll need a disposal bag for the full one which you can then place in a bin.A replacement colostomy bag can be folded up pretty small and it will fit in your pocket or bag easily.

Changing nappies and cleaning up in a public restroom can be really awkward,trying to do it quietly is nigh on impossible.