LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do We Need A Wiki

DailyDi

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need to start a new ABDL Wiki?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. Should this be part of DD or a seperate Domain?

• Part of DailyDiapers
    • A New Site
    • Other
  3. 3. If started, would you contribue time and information tot he Wiki?

• Yes
    • No

If we do a wiki it should begin here so long as we've got space. I see one potential problem though: ABDL definitions vary so wildly that if anyone can add changes it will never settle down- thus it will be essentially useless :( Right now we've got a 'define 24/7 for you' thread going. Some note true 24/7 is impossible, some say it's wearing 24/7, some say they wet but not poop, some say they do both, one says you have to be double incontinent to be 24/7- nobody fully agrees :screwy: Right now the thread is peaceful but with such diverse thinking that may not stand :mf_swordfight: I'd like to see such a wiki totally post-moderated, and the moderation done by maybe ten outstanding members of DD who've been here a long time; a review panel of sorts ;) I believe then we'd have it all sorted out well so that people seeking good info would get great info :thumbsup: After things get settled down here we could move the wiki to a more conspicuous location and it would already be off to a great start so it would take less review effort, though there would be a lot more people giving input initially. In time that would settle down too :closedeyes:

Whatever you end up with there will always be a lot of disagreement about definitions by people who will never be convinced that they are not on the right track :angry: As a comparison the term "TG" has been around at least 40 years yet there is still bitter disagreement as to it's meaning, though that issue has settled down to where maybe 50% of gender-variant people agree on one definition and maybe 90% of that group understands what you mean when you say "TG" whether they agree with your definition or not. I see much the same kind of thing among us here in the ABDL world :whistling:

An unmoderated fully open wiki will just be a mess- otherwise I'm for going with the general opinion about it.

Bettypooh

Ignorance is pardonable, consider it done ;)

Quoted from the "Wiki" entry on Wikipedia:

A wiki (11px-Speakerlink.svg.pngi/ˈwɪki/ wik-ee) is a website whose users can add, modify, or delete its content via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a rich-text editor.

A Wiki ABDL dictionary would allow users to do that with the listed definitions. The end goal of a Wiki is to have the content match the most popular (and hopefully most correct) concept of any given subject listed. With most Wiki's you have to be a member of that site to make changes. Some have tighter policies than others but all allow user input :)

The way Wikipedia operates, you have to be a member to alter content on the site. Usually your first several entries must pass Mod screening before they take effect. If a member makes it a habit of posting incorrect info or otherwise breaks the site rules they can have this ability restricted or denied altogether by the Wiki Mods. Contrary to what the uninformed pundits who should know better say, you can't just go do what you please with Wikipedia; and the information found there is often better proven, more complete, and better explained than on most similar encyclopedia-type sites. Plus they hyperlink entries to related listings and relevant references, allowing anyone to fully understand any subject listed easily and completely :thumbsup:

Ignorance is curable, and we all start off ignorant so there is no shame in it. Stupidity is incurable, and nobody need be stupid. The outward symptoms are the same; ie. a lack of subject knowledge :mellow: The causes are far different- one is where you know that you don't know and you want to learn; the other where you think you know when you don't, and you will not accept the truth should it happen to show up :o

PB, on this subject you are officially no longer ignorant, nor are you stupid. You now have knowledge, so a Gold Star on your post to show the world how well you've done :thumbsup:

Bettypooh

If you do have a wiki I think there would need to be a separate ab and dl ones ... And among the ab and dl there would be sub pages for non fetish, fetish, lifestyle/24-7 etc... For each of them .... And even then...

Really with such a comprehensive forum here and so many other websites easily found with a google search I don't see the need

• Like 1

I agree with what betty said but even a moderated wiki would be baised as the mods would aprove changes... Wiki sounds like a good idea but bad idea in actuallity.

• Like 1

I am saying no i would not like to contribute because I am being honest.. I have dealt with trying to start many projects everyone wants to talk about how a great idea it is and say they will help but whnever it gets time to actually start working everyone bails out

I agree with what betty said but even a moderated wiki would be baised as the mods would aprove changes... Wiki sounds like a good idea but bad idea in actuallity.

There has to be some kind of regulation of a wiki. Otherwise anyone could come in and change the definition of "diaper" to "D ker" and nobody wants that :o Most wiki Mods operate as a team which tends to keep personal opinions out of the mix ;)

One of the toughest things to do as a Mod is just that. I see things here that I would like to :bash: but I can't. This is just like having a job and doing what the boss asks of you, except the pay level for Mods here really sucks :lol: Yes, us gluttons for punishment actually donate our time for this job :wacko: And we can't do whatwever we like; we have someone to answer to :) That's why I'm glad that most of you make my job easy- I have to use my own browsing time here to do Mod work too, and if there's too much work I don't get to have enough fun-time myself :whistling: Thanks :thumbsup:

Bettypooh

We could probably learn some valuable lessons from ADISC's disbanded wiki. It never really developed a culture as a wiki, with most articles having few contributors. There wasn't a sense of contributing to something great, so that it did not become great.

One suggestion I made there was to invite other forums, such as DailyDiapers, to become involved. This might have increased the editor base, but it would have sacrificed the hope of carrying over the ADISC culture (at least until the wiki developed its own culture.)

This culture is important, since there are many details we can't set up outside of the wiki. These include the division of topics, the development of consensus, and the selection of a conservative or liberal handling of certainty/significance.

If these hurdles can be overcome, the Dailydiapers wiki might hope to one day be a less recognized, less general, less visible version of Wikipedia. Our wiki might easily be more trustworthy, but it will be less trusted outside of our community.

(As a side note, we should consider a license that is not compatible with Wikipedia. So far two rounds of people have discussed taking what they wanted from my website and posting it to Wikipedia. Their intention was to neutralize my voice so that they could better use Wikipedia to promote their interests.)

When I try to express why I enjoy My Little Pony so much, the shortest answer is that it is the antithesis of Wikipedia in many ways. MLP might seem commercial and superficial initially, but has a depth, an altruism, and a cuteness within. Wikipedia does not.

Thanks for chiming in BitterGrey. I have long appreciated your efforts with wikipedia and understanding infantalism.

I saw the posts on ADISC and they made it clear they had NO interest of working with us because we refuse to pretend their isn't a sexual element to being a diaper lover, so we're too adult for them.

My main goal with the idea of a wiki is to get a more community-minded explanation of who we are since we (DD) do have good search enginwe positoning that lead new people here and currently the About Us page features only my words.

Any advice and suggestions on how best to educate new DL's and outside searchers would be appreciated.

I guess my main question is if we started a Wiki, how many topics or pages could we reasonably fill?

Also it would need to be totally unaligned (at least in appearance). Named something like ABDL.Wikia.com. It could still be started by us, but we don't want the divisions in the community to prevent others from coming to it.

As far as the failed attempt, I never even heard of it and I think the lack of hearing about it is the biggest problem for any website (no matter what the content or who runs it).

My next thought is that since most everything in our community is personal or subjective, the words usually and most are probably going to show up often. My point is clauses are going to need to be very prevelant to keep people from bitching.

Also my wife just leaned over my should and said, "What is the point? There is already a page about us on the real Wikipedia.org."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_baby

Also my wife just leaned over my should and said, "What is the point? There is already a page about us on the real Wikipedia.org.

Having an AB/DL-specific wiki would permit greater depth and detail. However, your wife does have a point: Our wiki will never be THE wiki. Non-AB/DLs will still be getting their information from Wikipedia, and maybe using our wiki to fill in details not covered in "the real Wikipedia."

My main goal with the idea of a wiki is to get a more community-minded explanation of who we are since we (DD) do have good search engine positioning that lead new people here and currently the About Us page features only my words.

The "about us section" is actually pretty good for a one-page summary. It has a tight structure that wouldn't have resulted from a series of small adjustments. Of course, an orchestrated team can outperform any single author. However, I don't know how many editors it would take to form those teams. This would be a per-article value, of course. If the editor base is below some critical size relative to the number of articles, the wiki won't succeed. As populations grow, more communities will be able to field enough editors, organizers, leaders, etc. to make wikis work. The larger communities, such as transvestism and sadomasochism, might reach the necessary populations first. This suggests that the leading source of AB/DL information might be a wiki some day. Maybe here and now are the right place and time to start it.

Any advice and suggestions on how best to educate new DL's and outside searchers would be appreciated.

An intermediate step to consider might be for more Dailydiapers readers to get involved with Wikipedia. Please be clear that this is a proposal, not a recommendation. On one hand, it is a ready training ground for those seeking to try a wiki out, and it is viewed as "the real Wikipedia." On the other hand, it could discourage potential editors or diffuse our resources across multiple wikis. In particular, the article linked above (actually the paraphilic infantilism article) has sucked up a lot of my life.

I think wikipedias page about us is pretty good. I think a page about ab's written by ab's would be mostly self serving, and dd seems to have that covered. Perhaps we should have some psyc people write more for the wikipedia page? There must be at leadt one of us whos a psychologist for a profession. It would be nice to not be labeled as having a disorder or syndrome, perhaps the negative labels are why so many hide this thing in the closet.