LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Allergic Reaction to Something, Can't Tell What

DKN117

So, I've been having a nasty crop of hives over much of my body for the past two days, and I'm worried if maybe I'm allergic to the baby powder (I wear diapers every night). I've used it for years with no trouble, but I've heard you can suddenly develop an allergy to something.Today I woke up itchier and worse-looking than yesterday.

It actually does sound like an allergic reaction, just not from your diapers or powder though. It does make sense it would start with your head/hair first, since that's the most exposed part of your body. Your diaper is also intended to create a waterproof (and as such somewhat air proof) barrier. This might just be protecting that part of your skin. Your clothes are breathable through so they would only slow the reaction down or decrease it's severity some.

Check to see if you've had any environmental variables change on you lately. Is there construction going on, did someone just clean some air filters at your work or start using different cleaning chemicals. Do a little digging, if you suspect something then try eliminating it or at least your exposure to it.

Yeah the shower soap thing is a good theory. The only other thing I could think of is the detergent you wash your clothes in, but that wouldn't explain why your diaper area hasn't broken out (I assume that you wear underwear during the day and diapers at night, based on your post), nor why it's particularly bad on the back of your neck.

Allergy most definitely. I'd recommend the following steps:

Wash your clothes and bed linens entirely. If possible, get clear hypoallergenic trype detergent.

Check your body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. If you've changed any of these, switch back, or try using baby wash temporarily as that's hypoallergenic.

Dust and vacuum your residence entirely. Hay fever is bad stuff. Also, check your filter in your vents. You need to check them every month.

Look at your diet. Have you changed anything? If so, stop.

Try these things for a week or two, then incorporate one change at a time. If you get itchy again, then you'll know why.

....Try these things for a week or two, then incorporate one change at a time....

This is what I did to zero in on a food allergy. The process took me a couple months. I began by eliminating categories, then kept narrowing it down. Years later I began experiencing the same symptoms and after doing some research online I found a common food additive which was made from my 'no-no' food was the cause; my sensitivity had increased :o. I have had to become a label-reader when grocery shopping, checking the ingredients on anything new I try. And now I have Gout, which has further limited what I can eat :( but at least I feel good and there's still a lot of good stuff which I can eat :) Life can be frustrating at times but with the right approach it still has potential B) Hope you find the 'trigger' soon, and when you do, look up the stuff it's made from online to see where else it may try to sneak into your life

Guest gnappies

My first Allergic reaction was to Amoxicillin after being fine using it for years. Second one was from the 'surgeon' type gloves you can get for working on cars; they used to use corn starch inside to stop sweating. If you've had a bad cold it may be one of the remedies (if using them), has something in it that your body has taken offence to.

I just got back from being kept at the hospital for observation from ~12 PM yesterday to ~11 AM today, while they pumped benadryl and prednasone and other things into me. It's not completely gone - my shoulders and the backs of my legs still itch like hell and look ugly and red, though nowhere near as bad as before - and I'm on extra meds for a week or so, but I'm home. My mother wonders if maybe I suddenly developed an allergy to the red dye used in Sudafed pills, which I've been taking to alleviate cold symptoms; apparently my grandmother had the exact same allergy.

And now I've got an ugly red swollen spot (possibly a hive?) that feels like it's burning a little and is hot to the touch where the IV line was inserted (that only showed up hours AFTER the IV needle was removed) with red blotches trailing 3-4 inches down the arm from there, as well as a small new crop of hives on mid-back (with virtually no itching), and itchy red spots on the side of my right middle finger and the top of my left big toe...

At the moment, my feet are swollen slightly, hurt to put pressure (including walking) on, and are hot and itchy. Also, my hands - especially fingers & thumbs - are red, slightly swollen, and very tender and sore, such that doing nearly anything with them hurts; in addition, fingers and palms have lots of little red circles or ovals or whatever scattered - not raised up and white-ringed like hives (yet), but still there and they seem to be at the painful/tender points. And there are little welts in the red and itchy/sore area where the tape holding my IV on was ripped off. Lastly, my scalp has a few very itchy spots, and when I feel them I can't tell if I'm feeling hive-bumps or the normal bumpiness that skulls have.

So, according to the doctors my immune system has lost its sh*t and is attacking my hands and feet. Yeah… My hands and fingers are covered in red blotches & swelling and hurt like hell to put any pressure (like say, grabbing things or even typing this) or heat (like touching hot food in an attempt to eat), while my feet are horribly swollen and I can barely walk. And the doctors have no idea what’s causing it, and can’t treat it until they do, but they don’t so they can’t… First the hives, now this; is my body gonna just... fall apart now that I've reached 25?

Darn man, I feel for you. Hope the doctors figure out what's wrong soon.

Even if they don't figure it out before you get really bad, the doctors can put you on prednisone and your immune system will take a break. Of course they can't do that for too long since you need a good working immune system, but at least it would give your body a chance to heal back up some.

Saw a rheumatologist today, and upon inspecting me personally, reviewing my recent history and what little of last night's blood work was complete so far, and looking over the photos on my i-Phone of the symptoms' progression (he praised me for thinking of doing that, says it made it easier for him), he thinks it's still an allergic reaction, and not (or at least not ENTIRELY) an auto-immune thing. He said that, since it went from "perfectly fine" to "Holy Crap" in a matter of less than 10-12 hours - apparently VERY fast for progression of this sort of thing - he suspects it will subside with similar quickness within the next few days.

Eight and a half hours of sleep, of my feet being 'elevated' (well, sorta) and not used or anything, and they look and feel exactly as swollen and itchy and hideous as before, with absolutely NO CHANGE for the better.

I spent much of my life with a roomie or two, always good folks and we respected each other B) But once I was on my own I realized how much stress living with someone else causes me. I'd rather live on the street than with a roomie now, at least with no address needed I could find a place to be away from everyone else when I wanted to :thumbsup: While that may not be an option for you right now, set your resolve to get away and stay away from these people who don't seem to care what effect they have on you. How you feel matters and how stressed you are has a direct adverse effect on the Hives!

Doing well, my hands almost back to normal, only small (like, dime-sized) barely-sensitive blotch circles still on them. ...And then my sister gets home. Within an hour and a half, my hands are swollen and itchy again, the blotches are twice in number and the size of quarters, and my previously-fine scalp is itching again as well. My feet had actually lost all their swelling, but now it's back a little.