LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

reservations/alternatives to the term "condition"

Call it what you want is my opinion. An example when I was in the hospital the nurses called diapers briefs or depends. One called them diapers. I said wow you said diapers. She said i call them what the patient calls them.

I believe most people automatically assume kink and fetish are sexual in nature. This is just the natural evolution of our language- even if the dictionaries are laying behind like they always do. As such, they may be technically correct, yet they certainly are not good terms. In my opinion any ways.

I did suggest mentality, way of thinking, or who we are, as ways of describing AB/DL's. I would like to see if someone can come up with a better term though.

The word "condition" by itself, to me, implies something in a person's physical characteristics reqiring the use of diapers, in this case. From what I've observed, both in myself and from others have stated about themselves, is that our compulsion to wear diapers is frequently a result of psychological conditioning. For instance, an individual's use of diapers significantly beyound the normal toilet training age seems to lead to a desire to wear diapers in adulthood. Diapers may have been used as a punishment; parents may have allowed an older child to wear diapers because of competition/jealousy with a younger sibling; or the parents may have simply been lax in their toilet training efforts. However, for many of us, there seems to a critical period of time between 3 and 6 years old, when our compulsion to wear diapers took root.

Call it psychological conditioning, a compulsion, or deep-seated desire. I'm not sure the "condition" or "state of mind" can be truly understood by anyone who hasn't experienced it.

I agree with much of what has been said as it pertains to the AB/DL community, since it's really difficult to answer the personal question as to "why do I do the things I do" or "why an I an AB/DL and wear diapers etc" If you get 100 (or 1000) Ab/Dl types in a room and ask them the same question, you will get 100 (or 1000) different answers.

This happens simply due to the deep and intensely personal nature of this whole 'thing". I know my reasons (finally) but that pertains solely to me personally. Is it a kink...probably, a 'fetish' don't know, but quite probably. Butthe bottom line is what I do pertains strictly to me and my desires.

Now, going with the word "condition" I'm not really sure that would apply to the AB/DL community as said above of the connotations of being a disability or what not.

As a side note, When dealing with people who are bedwetters or who are incontinent I prefer to use the term "condition" as opposed to "problem'. This is simply because or the negative implication that "problem" implies, something that has to be over come and can't, so you are constantly battling it etc. Where as "condition" implies in this case, something that requires maintenance and management and can be controlled, and you as a person are doing so, and not battling a problem or are a victim of such either.

Thats something I do, since "condition" is a more positive and pro active word than "Problem. and that helps the sufferer of the 'condition' (being an inco or a bedwetter etc) feel better and more in control of the situation and itis being managed the the best effect.

I know thats a long analogy :P but it is what it is. How can this pertain to being an AB/DL, is it a problem?? or condition?? or just a choice. The same can be asked about other personal things, why you wear boxers or tidy whities (briefs) who cares?? It's your choice as you derive comfort and what ever else from wearing those.

Can the same be said for diapers??/ hell yes, but how to tack a "word" onto that decision is the tough part. and we are back to the question "WHY". and the 1000 different reasons / answers.

So I think , as also touched on above, the 'issue' isn't the action of being an AB/DL, but the utter lack of language to be able to accommodate and 'explain' the question "WHY" in such a way as to accommodate the average person looking in from the outside, so that they can have better understanding. I think this is possibly where the language itself fails. SO we might try alternatives such as a thesaurus to look for other words / labels that might offer some explanation for our desires ( and that in itself might be a useful word as well.)

I tried looking here http://www.thesaurus.com/

for alternate words that might help, but it wouldn't load right :( so I couldn't do a search for alternate words for "Fetish" and "condition" etc..

IF anyone else wants to paste something for alternates that might more accurately describe who we are and fill in the "WHY" that might help enlighten the average outsider or curious onlooker, then most anything is game. as long as it helps ;)

qwack

To me condition implies mental illness or disability, disorder, health problem. A kink or fetish can be a condition if it takes over your life and gets in the way of friendships or relationships and it causes you distress.

For me, "compulsion" precisely describes my need to wear diapers. When I was younger, there were times that I avoided using diapers for a year or two, but eventually I felt and overwhelming need to start wearing them again.

One size or noun, in this case, doesn't fit all.

"Compulsion" doesn't really work for me... Sure I like wearing, but I can quite easily just not wear. I certainly don't have an "irresistible" urge.

The mention of left-handedness struck a chord with me, because I've always thought of that as a trait...a personality trait. My brother is left-handed, and I love to wear anything made of soft vinyl plastic. Both traits...right? In the same sense I see the various associations with diapers of most people here as a trait.

I'm not a big fan of the term "condition." It's just something that I'm into. I don't have a "condition" because I'm into engines and building cars.

When I broach the topic of diapers i take the route of that it's an interest I have, and a coping mechanism for times of increases stress.

True. We'd need at least two sets of terms: One for the stable condition/compulasion/? and one other for the potentially transient kink/etc. The key difference will be that those with the latter can quit, while those with the former cannot. There will be a third group that has never really tried to quit, and so won't know if they could. They would have one or the other, but might not know which.

I'm liking compulsion, especially for those of us who can't seem to quit liking diapers when ever we want to. For those who can like elfking said, maybe predilection is more appropriate.

How about a "proclivity"?

I've always seen this as a personal preference that doesn't necessarily connote a sexual desire, an emotional attachment, or a physical need. In my observation, my ABDL tendencies often gravitate from one end of the spectrum to the other depending on my overall state of mind, sense of self-awareness, external social factors, and level of focus (e.g., adult responsibilities/priorities superseding "little time").

A "proclivity" implies little more than a preference for "something" without the baggage implicit to labels like "condition," "kink," "compulsion" or similar ilk. It's also generic enough to remove any sexual or emotional overtones that make certain people bristle.

That said: it's still nothing more than a euphemism. "Happy", "glad", "peachy-keen" -- they're all just semantic variations of the same theme. I doubt there will ever be a "one size fits all" label that every ABDL or IC can endorse without debate.

Adding to this: As a 24/7 user by choice for the last 3+ years, this is also a "compulsion" for me, but I've never really labeled it as such. As a "proclivity", however, any suggestion of compulsion is inherited. In other words and in order of hierarchy: This is my preference, irrespective of the needs it satisfies (proclivity). My preference fuels my compulsion, which I CONSCIOUSLY opt to indulge (paraphilia/kink). My compulsion drives my behaviors (wearing/using diapers).

i guess i'm geeky, because the first thing that i think of when i hear "condition" is a change in a process based on a fact, like an "if" statement. someone who has a condition has to do some things conditionally, such as "i can enjoy a theme park if i have a wheelchair (i can't walk far)", i can shop for groceries if i have some help finding things (i'm blind)", or "i can sleep over if i come prepared (i'm a bedwetter)".

so for that reason i agree with some of the above posters: it's a condition if it limits what you can do.

This thread is kinda ironic. We just released a video session which at the end doses discuss this very issue. Quite simply, if you diapering and babyness is causing a degree of disorder or dysfunction in your life then it is a DISORDER.