LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hospital Diaper Policies

I was recently traveling for work when I became sick. By the time I made it to the Emergency Room I was running a 102+ fever.

I ended up at major medical center.

I told the nurses and doctors that i was fully incon due to an injury. When i came to the ER i was wearing Abnea X-plus and plastic pants. After a few hours in the ER I had fully used the diaper I had on and asked the nurse if there was something I could wear.

What I was brought was this flimsy blue plastic thing they called an adult diaper. It was so thin you could

hardly feel it when put on. The only ID on this diaper was on the two tapes on each side saying "wings".

Within an hour, my gurney was wet, sheets were soaked and there was a puddle growing

on the floor. I was completely out of it and didnt even know. It took the Dr coming in and stepping

in it before I was changed and cleaned up.

This isnt even the worse part. I was admitted and ended up spending four days in the hospital.

After I was taken up to a room I was told the hospital didnt have adult diapers for use in the medical

floors. I couldnt believe that a major medical center wouldnt have diapers on a medical floor. Dont

they ever have other people come in that are incon? What was I to do?

The nurse told me that they were not allowed to use diapers because paitents could get diaper rash.

The incon paitents would just have to mess themselves in bed and the nurses would clean them up.

This didnt go over with me very well. Even sick, I didnt want to lay there and mess on myself when

there are options. I had to get upset before they would work out a solution. It turns out the only two

floors that have diapers is ER and Rehab. The charge nurse was able to get a pack of the flimsy blue

diapers for me to use while I was admitted.

Needly to say, I had to be changed almost hourly to keep them from leaking and making a mess.

That part I didnt mind>>

What i cant understand is the lack of understanding of incon issues. This was a major medical center

with all the best equipment and doctors. Why did I have to get upset before I could get the diapers

I needed?

Yes hospital diapers are really poor (spell that CHEAP ).the last time i was in i couldn't even get the nurses in to change me and my wife had to drive in from home and so i had her bring me some good diapers as well.I go back to the hospital next week but will have a catheter , I will still need to be diapered for bowel leaks.It will be interesting to see what this hospital has for diapers,most of the ones around here use depends now and i go through one of those an hour

Forget hospital policy, that's inhumane treatment, end of. If I were you, I'd be complaining in the strongest possible terms to the hospital management and if that doesn't get a satisfactory apology, I'd take it (anonymously) to the media because it's just not on to degrade people like that... You don't give up your right to a little bit of dignity the second you pass though the hospital door.

That's so messed up, you'd think a nurse would come in a change you. And keep diapers on the floor. That must be a crappy hospital.

Yeah, they are.

:biker_h4h::biker_h4h::biker_h4h:

it must just be that hospitals policy i have never seen it used here in Oregon with any that i have dealt with over the years

not even VA has gotten that low but give them time

I'm gonna agree with AuntieAB on this one, you need to be complaining to somebody about this. It's downright inhumane that they would tell you that you were just gonna have to mess in the bed and deal with it. I'm positive that there are boards that monitor this sort of thing, I'd be making some phonecalls right now if I was you.

The nurse told me that they were not allowed to use diapers because paitents could get diaper rash.

The incon paitents would just have to mess themselves in bed and the nurses would clean them up.

Wait wait wait...

So the POSSIBILITY of diaper rash is worse than a rash all over from being covered in pee and/or poop, as well as being exposed to uncontained germs, and all the extra cleaning, not to mention the detriment to patient comfort and dignity?!

I'd have been like "I am not about to be sitting in a pool of my own mess! You want to talk about diaper rash, discuss it with my lawyer!"

So infant patients... they can get diaper rash. So do they just drown in pee also?

Ugh, makes me mad.

sorry to hear that story, I can say that everytime I am in the hosp. I get diapers without any problem. The blue things you are talking about are the large wings and yes they suck big time.

Some paper towel, syran wrap, and scotch tape, and I could make a diaper that works better than hospital diapers!

You'd think a place that needs to be so hellbent on cleanliness would have REALLY absorbant diapers so they don't have pee all over.

That is so absolutely gross ! and a "False economy" also, I am sure that it is cheaper to put a patient in a Nappy/Diaper (especially if it is a cheap one to start with!) than it is to have to launder all those sheets, mop the floor etc etc, what are they thinking of ? :badmood:

A very strongly worded letter of complaint to the highest authority or board of governors is what is needed by the sound of it! :thumbsup:

:biker_h4h::biker_h4h::biker_h4h:

it must just be that hospitals policy i have never seen it used here in Oregon with any that i have dealt with over the years

not even VA has gotten that low but give them time

It's not a policy that they don't change you ,it's laziness.They didn't want to interupt their visiting and gabbing.By the time my wife drove in i had overflowed into the bed and all the way up my back.I had just had leg surgery and was in traction so I couldn't even reach for a diaper and with the IV running so was the bladder.

I was a thousand miles from home in Chicago ILL. I had no one to come and help me or watch

out for me while I was sick. I was totally dependent on the nurses.

I did have to get upset before they would find me a diapers to use on the medical floors. I dont see

why just diaper rash would be the main reason not to have them. Most people admitted to the

hospital dont spend more then a couple days. When I have been hospitalized at home, my wife

will come to help and bring me better diapers from home.

For daytime use I use Depends Maximium. Nighttime I use two layers of Cloth PreFold Overnights.

I know Depends are not always the best, but I would have paid to have someone bring me a

pack from the local Rite Aid.

There has been a letter written to the Hospital, no response yet. Im not going to

hold my breath.

Its just really tic'd me off that they would be so behind on treating incon and handling

sick patients.

Thanks for your support and ideas.

Radioman

That's amazing that in this day and age a big hospital was so ignorant about incontinence and caring for people with it. I agree, I hope by now you have complained to someone in authority about your treatment. It sounds like that hospital completely ignores the fact the patients need to eliminate and that many who are sick, injured or disabled have problems controlling that. And maybe you should see who that state's consumer advocate is, as well. Or looking on the lighter side, maybe you can get a Medicalert bracelet, reading, "Do not take me to XXXX Hospital." I know you may not be willing to publicly name that hospital, but their apparently ignorant treatment and disregard for incontinent patients should lower its credibility big time. Good luck and hope you are feeling better!

now i've been admitted for surgerys my self and if the hospital has nothing but the bad blues I have them buy some for me.

I'll give them my money to buy some or have some sent from a medical supply store. but there is one hospital that wouldnt do that for me so the next time I had to go in I just brought my own supply. and due to the government standards with diapers having to be steril they allowed me to bring my own. so advice if you dont want that to happen again bring in some of your own or have a medical supply company bring you some and just put it on your doctor bill if you can.

smiles

Hey take your own. Every time I have been in the hospital the diapers are a joke. If you take your own, they won't hit your insurance co as bad either. If you look at your bill they charge 10 bucks a diaper. It is a rip-off.

sorry to hear that story, I can say that everytime I am in the hosp. I get diapers without any problem. The blue things you are talking about are the large wings and yes they suck big time.

As I posted, I was traveling on work. I had my stuff sitting in a hotel room. I normally carry

enough supplies to see me thru my trip.

When I got sick, I was on the job site. I developed a 102+ fever and could barely walk. There

was no time to go back to the hotel for my supplies. I never thought a hospital wouldnt have any

diapers to use on a medical floor.

I spent four days in the hospital, with my stuff sitting in a hotel room, rental car

sitting in the ER parking lot and being a thousand miles from home. I missed my

return flight home and had to reschedule everything.

This was the LAST place I wanted to be.

The times I have gone to the hospital when I had a scheduled procedure, I have always

taken my own. I know the quality lacks in the hospital diapers.

After my accident that left me incon, I was pissed off, couldnt believe this

could happen to me. Felt like I would have been better off dead then like this.

It took about two years to get over my self pity. After that, I picked up my life,

went back to school to finish my degree, meet my wife and had three kids.

Best of all I decided to have some fun with the fact I had to wear diapers.

I think there might be a slight explination for this... (abit a poor one).

I suspect that most hospitials would wack a cathitor in you rather then use diapers, so the diapers they have are proberly only intended for messes.

My take on it.

As I posted, I was traveling on work. I had my stuff sitting in a hotel room. I normally carry

enough supplies to see me thru my trip.

When I got sick, I was on the job site. I developed a 102+ fever and could barely walk. There

was no time to go back to the hotel for my supplies. I never thought a hospital wouldnt have any

diapers to use on a medical floor.

I spent four days in the hospital, with my stuff sitting in a hotel room, rental car

sitting in the ER parking lot and being a thousand miles from home. I missed my

return flight home and had to reschedule everything.

This was the LAST place I wanted to be.

The times I have gone to the hospital when I had a scheduled procedure, I have always

taken my own. I know the quality lacks in the hospital diapers.

After my accident that left me incon, I was pissed off, couldnt believe this

could happen to me. Felt like I would have been better off dead then like this.

It took about two years to get over my self pity. After that, I picked up my life,

went back to school to finish my degree, meet my wife and had three kids.

Best of all I decided to have some fun with the fact I had to wear diapers.

*hugs*

i have to say i have never experienced this problem with a hospital not having diapers on every ward but i must agree hospital diapers usually are low quality.

i get diapers free on the national health service and this is where i have found a problem in the 'you get what you pay for' or in this case dont pay for stakes they are cheap and nasty and to top it off they count how many you get they will only supply enough for 3 during the day and one at night (total 4 a day) the main problem with this is you cant buy adult diapers over the counter here because if have a genuine problem the NHS supplies you so running out can be a major headache and you cant get any emergency supplies if you run out you have to wait until your next due a delivery (normally every two months) and if that wasnt bad enough should you happen to have any extras left over your supposed to ring them up a week before and have that number taken out of your order. (funnily enough i have never done that.......im incontinent not stupid LOL).

i got sick of the nightly leaks so i have switched to cloth nappies at night which work well makes me wonder why they dont supply cloth it would save them money in the long run

I think there might be a slight explination for this... (abit a poor one).

I suspect that most hospitials would wack a cathitor in you rather then use diapers, so the diapers they have are proberly only intended for messes.

My take on it.

a catheter is an invasive procedure and they wont usually do it without really good cause,if you go to a nuerology ward with stroke patients they are in diapers and not cathed.i used cathes for 9 yrs and had lots of infections from them and this is something all health professionals are concerned with.the diapers they supply have no barriers in them and are just as useless for bowel movements as they are for peeing

About 4 years ago my wife and I were hit head on and both were transported to the local hospital. I had just left the dentist with was actually adding insult to injury, and I was as always wearing a tena-super with an attends and a pair of plastic pants over that. When we were hit my neuro-stimulator discharged causing my bladder to empty fully completly soaking my diapers. After X-rays were taken and my right wrist and thumb were set in a cast as they were broken in the crash, I was changed into a clean diaper. They weren't bad prevail over nights if I remember right, not a good as what I had on but okay until I got to my parents house as they got my diaper bag from my car. I guess it all depends on the hospital. Most that I have worken in have no problem supplying them when needed.

Although I am not incontinent myself, this interesting experience happened to me when I was in the hospital for gall bladder surgery. My friends and family do not know I like to wear diapers so I was not wearing them in the hospital. The guy in the next bed was always complaining and calling for the nurse. I still don't know what his problem was but he complained about everything including his dinner. When I said complained, it was not an angry complaint but a pleeding complaint that always seemed to say, "help me, help me!" Anyway, I was being discharged the next morning and had already dressed and called my parents for a ride home. The guy in the next bed was being visited by his adult daughter, about in her late 20's or early 30's. I suddenly heard the guy thell his daughter he had to go to the bathroom. I was shocked when I heard her reply to just "go in your bed". A minute later a smell so bad hit me that I knew it was not a leek the guy had to take! Then I heard the daughter call for the nurse. When the nurse came in, the daughter told her that her dad had had an "accident" in his bed. I just about shouted "Accident my ass! You told him to go in his bed!" Then I heard the guy ask for a diaper! The nurse said, "You don't use diapers, do you?" then the daughter said, "Based on what just happened I think it would be a good idea." The end of the story is 2 aids came and cleaned up the bedding and they brought diapers for the guy and put one on him. This hospital had no problem putting diapers on a patient even though he normaly didn't wear them (as far as they knew! He may have been a closet diaper wearer all along!) When my parents stepped off the elevator to pick me up the first thing that hit them was the smell! It had spread to the whole floor! I was never so glad to be out of someplace in my life! I guess it all depends on the hospital and their policy as to weather they will let their paitents use diapers or not if needed.