LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How Did You Become Incontinent?

I'm sorry about your troubles, Inco. It must be very inconvenient for you to seek out a public place where your wife can help you change. :(

I'm having some new difficulties too--it's official, I have another UTI. I've been wet the last several nights in a row. Compare that to my usual once every two or three weeks. Another change: A lot of times, when I have a nighttime accident, I wake up after I've started wetting but before I'm done, so I don't end up really soaked. Lately, though, I'm sleeping right through it, waking up drenched, and having some daytime accidents as well. But even though my doctor was willing to write a prescription for diapers, it turns out that my state medical assistance no longer pays for them unless you're in a hospital or nursing home. So I have to buy my own diapers. Big, big expense for me. :( Well, I'm not sure those government issue diapers would do me much good anyway. They leak very easily and probably wouldn't last through the night. Might as well not wear them, if I'm going to wet the bed anyway.

I do consider myself fortunate that I can change my own diapers.

I never became incontinent;I have never became continent. I was born with cerebral palsy and have day wet and bedwet all my life. at age 58 I still wear diapers for my bedwetting and have partial day control of my bladder which requires diapers for certain situations. have occ bowel accidents too.

• 2 weeks later...

Auto accident in 2003. I am now completely urinary incontinent with other nerve related issues. I’ll get a ‘shock’ feeling in my legs at times. I leak seminal fluid and I’ll also have soft or dry orgasms without and erection and without ejaculating. I can have sex normally.

To lower costs, I wear cloth diaper and plastic pants. I may use an Abena disposable depending on the situation.

Born with it... and suffered years of abuse and forced toilet training (which I could never master) until it was diagnosed at age 8. The abuse stopped, but the sympathy started, which is even worse!

I have a problem with my autonomic nervous system which means I can not 'feel' or 'sense' if a muscle is closed or open. To control the muscles, I have to focus on the muscle. Therefore, I can hold my sphincter muscles closed when I think about it. This is perfectly OK when I am awake and there is nothing else in my mind. Over years, I have been able to pass this focus into secondary thought. When I sleep / change focus - via intruptions, my muscles relax and I loose bladder and bowel control. To avoid bowel accidents, I changed my diet so I will not fill (and therefore empty) my rectum during working hours. (very light and high energy snacks during the day) It will probably take another 30+ years to change this to thirtiary focus. Yes, I may no longer be daytime incontinent by the time I reach 70, unless :lol:

To reduce costs...

Try using cloth at night / daytime at home. If you, like me, mess in your sleep, use a baby cloth square in the adult diaper. It tends to contain most of the mess in one place and avoid wearing out the cloth too quickly. Aslo, cloth diapers at don't tend to leak unless they are so wet that they start to fall off. (unlike disposables). I only use disposables during the day (Tena Flex) that I can change easily while standing up in a public bathroom. I do wear the Tena Maxi when I know that I may not be able to change for a while - road trip / visiting someone etc...

I've been incontinent 24/7 for over five years. I was biking on the street going downhill and had a pretty good speed going when a car pulled out without looking. T-boned me and I went airborn. I broke my femur, pelvis, scapula and had a some internal injuries including a shreded bladder and sphicter. I was a mess.

I am now completely recovered and enjoy many of the outdoor activities I did before the accident however my sphicter muscle never fully recovered from the accident so I have had to use some protection.

Funny part is that I was a DL before the accident. However after I heard the news from the doctor that I would have to use a catheter or diapers on a full tiime basis I got extremely depressed. There is a huge difference between having to wear a diaper and wanting to wear a diaper. Evenutally I got over the depression and recognised that life goes on, you just have learn how to look beyond the setbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked diapeers since I was a kid. In my late teens a broke my neck, leaving me in a wheelchair. Still have spotty sensation, thankfully in the important areas :) but I have no motor control. They used condom catheters initially in the hospital, many times I'd get skin eruptions on my penis. During a particular bad one they put me in a diaper before therapy. I realized right there n then that diapers still felt nice to wear, and now I had a legit reason to! I still do a bowel program in the mornings so I rarely mess myself. Anyway, I go into it more detailed in one of my myspace blogs.

• 3 months later...

Mine was caused by a spinal injury sustained in a motorcycle accident. At first, the docs said I might never walk again, but now, I'm just about as normal as I ever was, other than loss of bladder control. I was already into diapers at the time, so the loss of control was a mixed blessing. I no longer had to hide my diaper use, but sometimes, being incontinent can be a little inconvenient. My bowel control was largely unaffected, but as an AB, I sometimes use my diapers for that also.

I rolled a semi in 1985 and ended up with a compression injury at T10 and a herniated disc at L5/S1 as well as other injuries that have taken away all the sensory control of bowels and bladder.I was a D/L already so adjusting to diapers was not too difficult except not being able to go without.My bbiggest complaint would have to be the lack of information available back then and the terrible attitudes of the medical profession as well ,based on their belief this shouldn't happen to younger people,i was 29 then.I actually had doc's say that they thought i was faking and as little as two yrs ago i had a WCB doc try to blame it on munchausen syndrome,i did however win my court case against them partly because of that statement as the court ruled they where being unrealistic after 20 yrs of testing to come to a conclusion like that.

I'm happy in my diapers and only dealing with stupidity like that gets me pissed off.

Been accident prone with my bladder off and on for many yrs. now. Since I've always have loved diapers and plastic pants, wearing them all the time for protection, comfort and security has never been an issue. I've had cronic back problems since I was a boy from an accident and through out the yrs. they've gotten worse. I've had cronic sciatic leg pain and loss of feeling in my left leg. Recently I had an MRI, Ex-rays, and catscan which shows major problem with L2, L3, L4, and L5 in which surgery at this time is necessary. With these disks in question, could somebody tell me if its possible that I could become totally incont. undergoing this operation? I'm just a quite nervous about this whole thing. I had to go out and seek a second opinion from another neuro-surgeon because the first one I encountered was an arrogent ass. I could'nt believe he actually made a sarcastic remark about me wearing diapers which really pissed me off. I agree with you dpr13ca, stupidity especially with doctors that are suppose to be intellegent.

• 2 weeks later...

My incontinence stems from this. When I was born, I was 3 1/2 months preemie. This resulted in oxygen deprivation, which then led to my having cerebral palsy. I guess you could say I was never fully potty trained, because I don't usually feel when I have to pee until I'm either going or it is far too late to make it to the toilet on time (probably a result of my CP). Plus I pee when i cough, sneeze, or laugh...so I was having accidents day and night, mostly just of urine, but on occassion I would have a messy accident as well. Bedwetting and messy accidents stopped at around 7 to 9 years old (for the most part), but I have always been a daywetter. At 10 years old I got fed up with peed pants all the time, so I put myself back into diapers. I don't usually feel when i need to pee anyway (and I think I'm losing control of my bowels now too), so why risk wet and messy pants? :fish_h4h:

To answer this question:

Oddly enough, after I put myself back into diapers from the incontinence, I found comfort from diapers ~ for the freedom part of it (no more wet/messy pants!) and also from fufilling an emotional void in my life, the sense of care and nurturing i didn't get as a child. That comfort from the diapers led me to explore babyish things ~ pacifiers, bottles, baby toys, etc...and that increased the comfort. I did some exploring, and that exploration led me to discover my AB-ness.

I'm just curious, but why didn't your parents put you back in diapers if you stayed wet during the day until you were ten? I would have thought that school especially would have asked them to do something about lots of day wetting. But that is pretty neat you put yourself back in diapers when you were ten, i think most ten year olds would have been pretty unhappy about going back to diapers.

This thread makes me pretty happy I'm just a bedwetter, you guys have a lot of stuff to deal with.

First off, I don't want to upset anyone...or offend anyone with this question. Its just that I've read a few posts like the one in "cartoony panties", where someone said "i would give anything to go back to regular underwear."

It just got me thinking, was is it that caused some of you to become incontinent? I understand for some of you this is a delicate question. To be honest, I'm just curious....that and how did you adjust when you lost all control.

Thanks,

logan

In 2000 I had a stroke that left me among other things totally urinary incontinent

I have bowel incontinence due to a chronic intestinal condition. I am on a medication that helps a lot, but I have some incontinence weekly, and sometimes significant incontinence of fecal material, mucus, oil and blood. I had it as a child, then I seemed to get better until I was in my mid-20s.

I acutally just posted my story in the "Our Lifestyle" section. I fell sixty feet when I was 12. Multiple head inuries and spinal injuries left me incontinent. But I was a diaper lover already, and always have been. Some of the stories I've seen have been very moving. I love all you guys and gals so much! None of us are alike, but most of us can relate to our "difference." Love well, forgive quickly, praise often, walk the talk.

I have bowel incontinence due to a chronic intestinal condition....

I should add that I was never an AB/DL type at all. When, at about age 23, I realized things were spinning out of control badly, but I had gotten frustrated and given up on seeing physicians about my then-undiagnosed condition. I realized that if I wanted to stop soiling my sheets (try having nightly accidents in student housing), the most logical thing was to wear diapers.

But they had not been ordered by my doctor, so when I went to buy some not only was I incredibly embarrassed to need them, but I felt like perhaps I was doing something wrong. After all, no medical professional had told me that my symptoms were because of the same medical conditions I had as a small child, and I was told then it was somehow my fault. So I felt like I was "stressing myself out" and giving myself this disease.

When I did finally manage to buy a bag of adult diapers--many times I gave up and left the store without them--I got a real adrenaline rush as my feeling of utter shame and panic collapsed once in the safety of my car.

But that, along with feeling like I was doing something wrong, did give me a bit of a sexual "dirty" feeling for a while. That's how I found out about the whole AB/DL thing--this was in the early days of the WWW.

Now, it's just day-to-day living. I sometimes get a bit of a tingle, but much more of the time I get depressed dealing with the problems.

I think a lot of the "wannabe incontinent" folks here would lose interest once they discovered what a pain it can be dealing with incontinence on a daily basis.

• 2 years later...

Hi, my name is Bobby and I'm a 23 year old male. I have a neurogenic bladder which causes urinary retention leading to overflow incontinence. To help manage this I use self-catheters during the day and wear adult diapers at night to handle the overflow incontinence. This all started for me back in Febuary 2009 after having an Epidural Steriod Injection for a herniated disc at the L4-L5 level that was causing sciatica down my left leg and lower back pain. About 1 hour after the injection on my way home I experianced incontinence. So i called the doctor and he said go to the E.R. After spending time at the E.R. for all their tests, they sent me home with a Foley Catheter and a refural to a Urologist. The Urologist left the Foley in for a few days followed by a void challenge. With the Foley removed I still could not void on my own so he gave me catheters so I could do it intermittantly on my own. After about 2 weeks of self-catheters I was able to start voiding on my own, but I was not emptying completely. Then after about 1 month I was able to void completely on my own. The only thing any of the Doc's had to say about how the retention started in the first place was that it may have possibly have been that the nerve the goes to my bladder was either disturbed/moved, compressed, or injured by the needle during the ESI. Then about 6 months later all my symptoms returned for no reason. Once again I couldn't urinate on my own and I was having overflow incontinence. More tests revealed nothing had changed, and once again the Doc's can't say for sure why its happening. So for time being, like I said in the beginning, I have to use a catheter during the day, and wear adult diapers at night.

I was 12, it was July 15th, and I fell sixty feet onto rocks in a heavy Lake Michigan surf. 21 days later I woke up in a hospital a hundred miles away. At first the doctors thought I would regain control, but that soon proved false. As to how I felt I was conflicted. I realized that this disability moved me further away from my parents. They didn't want anything to do with a 12-year old in diapers. A nanny was hired to care for me during my convalescence and she stayed on until I was fifteen. On the other hand I'd wanted to wear diapers again for six years, and I was elated that I would never be taken out of them again. My nanny helped me in so many ways I wish I could write her and tell her all about it. Also, facing junior high in thick cloth diapers (they didn't have disposables back then) wasn't something to look forward to either.

• 2 weeks later...

i did not find out the why until i was 25 years old, As a kid i had wetting accidents (i vividly remember wetting my pants during class in second grade alot...), I also had many bladder and kidney infections. At the age of 12 i decided i needed diapers at night as i was sick of wet sheets, i slowly started leaking during the day as the years past in high school i started using pads to keep my pants dry i used the bathroom but i leaked small amounts all day and wet everynight. any way over the years the daytime incontinence slowly progressed until i was 25 i started needing diapers 24/7 i went back to a urologist to see why i was slowly getting worse. i had A SUrGURY to determine what the cause was. we found out when i was born i had a birth defect that the doctors tried to correct, the problem was i devoloped major scar tissue that restricted urine flow that resulted in infections that caused loss of sensation of the bladder so the diagnosis was neurogenic bladder. he gave me some medications to help but i started experiecing major pain as my bladder filled (TERRIBLE) so i was scheduled for another surgury and it was discoverd i also have interstitial cystitis... both surguries helped in the diagnosis but also made my incon worse i cant take drugs that aid nuerogenic bladders as it makes my other condition flare up so now i am 24/7 diaperd and have almost no sensation of my bladder.. but hey life is what it is no going back and everything could always be worse.

• 3 weeks later...

in 1997 I had a real bad motorcycle accident that left me in the hospital for over a month. After 7 surgeries and being lucky to walk, I was left with incontinence (complete urinaty & partial bowel). It was after my accident and a ton of research on the net I found the dl/ab's.