LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

A Family Crisis

justagirl4fun

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lillian jumped from her spot on the carpet, nearly yelling when she heard Scarlett. She ran up the stairs and quickly picked Scarlett up, trying to figure out what was wrong. "Shh shh what's wrong baby girl?"

Scarlett didn't seem to notice Lillian touching her arm. She just kept crying. Sean started getting worried when he realized her posture wasn't normal, and that she wasn't snuggling into Lillian, or trying to wrap her arms and legs around her the way she normally did when she was held. "Babe, she doesn't look right,"

Sean grabbed Ava and carried her to the mudroom where he quickly got her boots and coat on. "Sissy doesn't feel good," he answered. "We have to take her to the doctor's." He threw his own coat on and grabbed Lillian's before running to the car with Ava. He got her buckled in and started the car.

The waiting room was packed with the usual winter maladies...strep throat and the flu, injuries from skiing, shoveling, slips on the ice. But the triage nurse recognized the gravity of Scarlett's condition and urged one of the attendings to take her back as soon as possible.

Lillian froze. Isolation? Meningitis? She swallowed hard and looked at her husband nervously. She didn't know what to think. "She fell on the ice early. Does that have anything to do with it?" She asked, hoping that's what it was rather than meningitis.

Ava climbed onto a chair and looked around the curtained room. She swung her legs back and forth, wondering when they'd get back home.

"It might, but like I said our first priority is to rule out meningitis," the doctor said before the entire family was whisked to an isolation room down the hall. "Right now I need to do a spinal tap, and you can help me," he said calmly as he rolled Scarlett on her side and took Lillian's hands. He placed one behind the girl's neck, the other on the back of her thighs, and curled Scarlett,so her spine was curved. "I need you to hold her just like that until I finish, okay? Even if she fights you and tries to move."

The doctor hastily swabbed Scarlett's back with iodine and inserted the needle. "The fluid is clear. That's a good sign," he said before handing it off to a resident. "But as a precaution, we will start her, and all of you, on antibiotics until the results of the spinal tap and bloodwork are in, which can take several days. Now we need to get her up to radiology for an MRI."

"I don't know yet, honey," Sean said as he held Ava on one hip and swayed. "The doctor is trying to figure out what's wrong with sissy."

"I'm afraid not. But it won't take long," the doctor said as an orderly came in and rushed the girl to radiology where she was sedated before the test to keep her still. Before long she was returned to her room, still groggy from the sedative, and was followed by the doctor.

Lillian frowned and looked down at her daughter. "Is she gonna be okay?" She asked, rubbing Scarlett's hair. She felt like a terrible mother for not taking her duaghter to the hospital in the first place.

"I honestly can't answer that. The neurologist in Syracuse will know more. Now, one of you will be able to go in the helicopter with her. It will be here shortly so I suggest you get everything straightened out now."

"Sissy has a boo boo inside her head. She has to go to another hospital where the doctors can fix it," Sean explained. "Babe, you go with her. I'll run home, call my parents to stay with Ava, and pack some things. I'll meet you there as soon as I can, okay?"

Sean got Ava buckled in and called his mother as he drove home. She immediately agreed to stay with Ava and said she'd be there as soon as possible. When they got home he grabbed Ava and hurried inside, carrying her to his room and setting her on the bed. "Honey, I need you to be a good girl for grandma, okay? I don't know how long we'll have to be at the hospital with sissy, but I promise we'll call you every day. And maybe when sissy feels a little better grandma will bring you to visit," he said as he packed a bag with a few changes of clothing and toiletries for himself and Lillian. "Come on, we have to get some things for sissy, too."

Ava frowned and started to cry. "I don't wanna stay with grandma!" She said, wrapping her arms around Sean. She'd never spent more than a few hours away from her parents, let alone indeffinitely. She cried into his leg and hugged him as tight as she could. "Don't leave me daddy!"

Sean squatted down and pulled Ava into a bear hug. "I know, baby, but sissy is very sick right now. Mommy and daddy have to be with her, but you can't stay there. Now, can you be a big helper and pick out some pajamas for sissy?"

Just like the doctor said, the helicopter soon arrived and Scarlett and Lillian were whisked aboard. It was a fairly quick flight and soon enough they were in a room, a team of doctors examining Scarlett and studying her MRI from the other hospital.

Ava sniffled and nodded. She realized she wasn't going to win, but wasn't very happy about it. She went to her sister's room and picked out the pajamas that she knew were her favorites and handed them to her father.

"Thank you, honey. Now, do you know where her doll is?" Sean asked after retrieving Scarlett's blankie and stuffed fox from the crib and a few of her favorite books from the bookshelf. As an afterthought he grabbed a pacifier as well. They'd recently weaned her off of it but he figured she was going to need all the comfortbthey could give her.

Scarlett laid still in her bed, the painkillers and sedative she'd been given taking the edge off her pain and calming her down though she still whimpered from time to time. Finally one of the doctors spoke to Lillian. "Ma'am, your daughter has some very serious bleeding in her brain. We'd like to get her into surgery right away. Do you have any questions?"