LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Chat Forced Beta Coming

DailyDi

Sometime this week - Probably Wednesday we will begin a "forced" beta of a new chat room platform (Babble, which you can access now from the tab on the menu bar. or at http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?/babble/)

What is a Forced Beta?

We will be closing the current chat room during this beta test so that all users will take part in testing the new chat room.

Why are we doing this?

We have been notified that the developer of this forum package (Invision) will be discontinuing the chat service in early 2017. As they host the chat server that means we WILL lose the chat room completely and will need to find a new chat provider. They recommended a service (CometChat) but after talking to them and testing them we have found them not to be a good fit for us. A second provider was briefly tested last week, but they too failed to meet our needs. This third trial we have high hopes for as several members of the admin team have played with it and feel it's the best one we have seen yet, so we want to open it up to the membership for comments and a real-world test.

How can I help?

Simple, use the new room (http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?/babble/) and tell us what you think? This helps us get feedback on user experience on different computers and devices. Our only ask is that you feedback be on the new service, or alternatives you are aware of. "I like the old chat room better" is not helpful since that will not be an option for us.

• Like 2

It's really not that different from the chat we have....just takes a little bit of time to load up all the users on the right hand side. Even cooler, is when you PM someone, if you're not in that tab, it will actually blink!!!

I know the user list is bugged at the moment and hopefully it gets fixed soon because it is very hard to know who is in the room with you. There doesn't seem to be any messages for when people enter or leave chat which is a shame (also, having tested it, there is no public alert for being kicked!)

EDIT: Even as I was typing this message I found in the settings an option to tick that shows when people enter or leave so that fixes that I think, a way to mute the entering sound would be nice though!

There is a delay between sending messages and them appearing in chat... Only a second or two but when there are 20+ people in chat it might be a small problem.

In terms of positives... I like avatars appearing next to names, I like that the "/me" command bolds messages, I like that when you get a new message in a tab you aren't in it will flash at the top of the chat to let you know, I like the "@[name]" command makes a message show up in red to that person, I like the multiple room idea with the separate RP room but it is too early to say how that will turn out.

There's a lot of new stuff... If the user list gets fixed then it will be a great chat in my opinion.

What I just did was opened the Babble link in a new window. left a message then just closed the window. Someone wh is familiar with tabbed browsing might try using a new tab, but at least that's a temporary fix

I could go for this under the right circumstances.

A problem might be the limited amount of messages that show up in chat at one time.

At the moment only four messages show on the screen before you have to scroll up to find more. In a chat room with a lot of people talking that might become an issue.

I certainly hope they can sort out the user list sooner rather than later because it is really hard to tell when someone joins the room or was already in the room, I noticed tonight that it doesn't always update when someone leaves either.

53 minutes ago, Elfy said:

A problem might be the limited amount of messages that show up in chat at one time.

At the moment only four messages show on the screen before you have to scroll up to find more. In a chat room with a lot of people talking that might become an issue.

I certainly hope they can sort out the user list sooner rather than later because it is really hard to tell when someone joins the room or was already in the room, I noticed tonight that it doesn't always update when someone leaves either.

Check now. Little better? Widened the username column to make long names stop pushing it to a second or third row

Edit: Removed avatars, so just names are shown, raised the room to 9 lines

Features that I've noticed and not liked:-

room - if you clicked to see someone's profile it opened a new tab, so you could keep the chat room open at the same time. Here it takes you out of the chat room to see the profile. Any chance of a reversion to getting a new tab?

Every so often without warning or explanation it logs you out. The first you know is you try to post something and it doesn't send. But it takes you a while to realize that cos sometimes there's a time lag anyway. So you go through all the faff of logging back in ... and when you get back in you've lost all your whispered conversations and cannot retrieve them.

Similarly, if you switch from one chat room to the other, when you come back you've lost all your whispered conversations

In the next update the rooms will be in tabs so you can follow more than one at once.

The logout timer is set to 1 hour. If you don't do anything for an hour you get kicked... If you are getting kicked while active that is an issue!

Links should now open a new window

Big improvement from being kicked every time I switch apps on my iPad. Only thing I have noticed is that I just can't tap the tabs on the top of the site to get in to activity/babble/leaderboard etc. I have to hold the link and tell it to open.

user list issues are known and will be fixed in 2 weeks.

Whisper issue I will ask about. I know the next version has a button to leave a whisper instead of just closing it, and the new version also has online/offline notifiers next to users

Hey, figured I'd post to let you know I got this message when checking out the roleplay chat room just recently: "Babble is not connected to the node server, please contact the administrator!" First time I've seen it, so not sure if this is a known issue or not.

~UndieNites